MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic Metal Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symphonic Metal Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 2:17pm
Thought it was about time MMA had a thread for the general discussion and appreciation of symphonic metal

This thread is more symphonic metal as a genre, best keep styles such as symphonic black metal and symphonic power metal to the relevant topics. Thumbs Up

To kick things off, my favourite track from one of the best symphonic metal albums (IMO of course), Epica's Design Your Universe.

Headbanger
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 5:02am
I�ve made this one a sticky, even the though the appreciation is pretty non-existent at the moment. There has to be a couple of sympho fans hiding somewhere. Let�s hear your recommendations and opinionsSmile.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 9:03am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

even the though the appreciation is pretty non-existent at the moment.

You aren't kidding. CryWink

Anyway, who here has heard the new Nightwish album, and those who have, what do you think of it?

Personally I hated the album at first, I guess because Nightwish broke their mould with this one, which threw me off greatly. Having given it more plays I've starting to get into it. I think its going to need a lot of listens before review though, this doesn't seem to be one of those albums that gives up the goods very fast IMO.
GG2U

ChaosAngel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaosAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:10am
On the symphonic metal front, I cannot recommend The Heart of Everything by Within Temptation enough.  The album is grandiose, gorgeous, and perhaps a bit gothic (I was struggling for a third "g" word there...).

To a slightly lesser degree, I would have to recommend their 2011 album, The Unforgiving.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by ChaosAngel ChaosAngel wrote:

To a slightly lesser degree, I would have to recommend their 2011 album, The Unforgiving.

Hated this album.

Thumbs Down
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 4:41pm

On the symphonic metal front, I cannot recommend The Heart of Everything by Within Temptation enough.  The album is grandiose, gorgeous, and perhaps a bit gothic (I was struggling for a third "g" word there...).

I love all their albums. To be honest I'd probably rank The Heart of Everything at the lower end of their discography, but still 4.5 star release. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 2:22pm
This thread definitely needs some attention. I can't think of a better band to introduce right now than Whyzdom: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/whyzdom.aspx

These guys play a progressive form of symphonic metal, and the music can be a lot more chaotic than your Within Temptations or Nightwishes. Recommended to anyone who thinks symphonic metal is getting stale.

GG2U

Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 8:33pm
This is the epitome of symphonic metal: Therion's Via Nocturna

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 9:24pm
Another great symphonic metal track: VandenPlas - January Sun

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:15pm
Ah, love that album Heart
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:17pm
I know Nightwish is anathema on these forums...but some of the finest symphonic metal music has been made by this band. Here is the ultimate example...Nightwish - Ghost Love Score

f**k that's another one that doesn't go...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

even the though the appreciation is pretty non-existent at the moment.

You aren't kidding. CryWink

Anyway, who here has heard the new Nightwish album, and those who have, what do you think of it?

Personally I hated the album at first, I guess because Nightwish broke their mould with this one, which threw me off greatly. Having given it more plays I've starting to get into it. I think its going to need a lot of listens before review though, this doesn't seem to be one of those albums that gives up the goods very fast IMO.
I really liked the new Nightwish album a lot from the first listen.  I still haven't heard all of their albums, but so far it may even be my favourite album as a whole (despite the fact Tarja is no longer with them Cry).  It may even be the album I have been expecting and that I have bought upon it's time of release that I have liked the most.  Something within the melodies throughout the album sound rather magical or something, and indeed, for me it's good that they broke their mould (even though it is still recognizably Nightwish), because, well, what they have done before is already done, and doesn't need to be repeated... again.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I love all their albums. To be honest I'd probably rank The Heart of Everything at the lower end of their discography, but still 4.5 star release. 
I also like all of their albums very much, even though they have been getting poppier with each album, at least it is still good quality pop-metal (to describe it some way).  My very favourite album is by far "Mother Earth", it's kind of their most unique and all those "celtic" melodies (I guess they could be called that) are really enjoyable... one of my very favourite metal albums.  I also liked the debut album a lot, though the one problem I found on it is that I don't like growiling very much... but I enjoy the music very much indeed.  As for the 3rd and 4th albums, they are somewhat two of a kind, and I find them more generic than the first 2 albums, but still pretty enjoyabe.  And the last one, well, this one seems to be their greatest shift of stile yet, and is much popier than ever, but somewhat I still find it enjoyable, and I guess it is better that they changed their stile instead of doing a third album on the vein of their previous two (though I would have liked at least one more album on the vein of "Mother Earth", but I believe that just won't happen).
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:25pm
Honestly if you can get over the strong pop leanings of The Unforgiving it's actually a less generic symphonic metal release than many of the recent ones. Nightwish's Imaginarium is probably the most unique of recent symphonic releases I've heard though.

Sometimes though symphonic metal done the normal way can still kick arse. I'm really digging the new Xandria. Reminds me in some ways on Nightwish's oldest releases, without being a direct rip-off.

GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 12:50pm
Adam, what's your opinion on Therion?  They seem to be the most well received symphonic metal band.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 12:54pm
Oddly enough I haven't looked into them in detail. I've heard bits and pieces over the years but never bought anything by them.
GG2U

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Adam, what's your opinion on Therion?  They seem to be the most well received symphonic metal band.
As for me, I've heard some Therion and think they are very good.  The album I've heard the most is "Secret of the Runes", and I really love that one, from beginning to end, not one weak moment.  Perhaps I would have liked the songs to be a bit longer, but in the end, it's perfect just the way it is.  And I really love the way they use all those operatic vocals, they really blend with the band very well.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 8:00pm
I have Lemuria and Sirius B on 2 CD.  I like Sirius B more, but Lemuria has some good songs too like "Typhon", "Lemuria", and "Quetzalcoatl".
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:04pm
As a matter of fact, the Therion albums are from my wife (so, as a matter of fact, they are mine too), but the one I've really gotten into is "Secret of the Runes".  I've heard some more songs that I like, but have been hearing other stuff, and I don't really dig the Devil Worshiping lyrics, which Therion seems to have a bit of a share themselves. 

Yeah, I know I'm sort of a weird metal fan, not liking Devil worshiping lyrics nor growling... but I really love those powerful metal guitars.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

As for me, I've heard some Therion and think they are very good.  The album I've heard the most is "Secret of the Runes", and I really love that one, from beginning to end, not one weak moment.  Perhaps I would have liked the songs to be a bit longer, but in the end, it's perfect just the way it is.  And I really love the way they use all those operatic vocals, they really blend with the band very well.

I like Therion a lot, have 9 albums. The albums I come back to often are Theli, Deggial and Vovin, which are their highpoint IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic