MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What effect do album aesthetics have on listening?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What effect do album aesthetics have on listening?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 1:50am
The colour scheme of an album cover very very often has an effect on how I perceive the pieces of music inside. For example Metallica have their blue album (Lightning) red album (Puppets), white album (Justice and to lesser extent Magnetic) and black album (guess which?).

I don't think I enjoy anything more than I would if it had a different cover, but it always gives the songs a nice graphic frame.
<- Click on this!
NorseGangsta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorseGangsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 1:30am
Yeah, album art is certainly important. I was listening to a track from Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit earlier and that album art perfectly exemplifies and complements what is felt through the music. And look at Devin Townsend's Deconstruction, all of the album art helps to visualize the album as a great chaotic metal machine centered all around HevyDevy himself. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 10:27pm
I haven't really thought about it.  Aesthetics of the art definitely affect whether or not I buy something.

That's an interesting point about Panopticon, and I see what you mean.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 09 Aug 2011 at 10:32pm
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 10:17pm
This is mainly a person to person question, because I feel it's definitely subjective.

I always try to listen to music free of bias. That is, without any preconceptions about how the music will sound. That being said, I think the album art inherently grasps onto what I'm listening to in my mind and influences how it sounds. For example, take these two Isis albums:

Whenever I listen to Panopticon, I can't help by thinking of a very moody atmosphere, with lots of dark clouds and mists, and plenty of blues. Likewise, whenever I listen to In the Absence of Truth, I feel awash in an abstract atmosphere of reds, oranges, and tinges of yellow. I can't help but think of the former as much, much more darker of an album, with the latter being mostly just atmospheric and haunting, even though looking at it more objectively they're both pretty dark albums.

I have to question whether this affects how I interpret the quality of the albums, because to be honest, I wonder if I'd think of things differently if neither albums had any visuals associated with them.

I feel this is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if care has been taken to present it correctly. After all, album art should be a reflection of the music inside. So there really shouldn't be a problem if the art is on the right album, as it should definitely serve its purpose thoroughly.

What do y'all think? Do album aesthetics (covers, booklets included, and even band photos at the time) affect how you visualize or interpret? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Do you have anything interesting to say?

Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic