MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The American Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Is the American empire crumbling?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The American Empire
    Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:41am
The U.S.A. has a huge debt/deficit, high unemployement, fighting three wars, many companies out sourcing jobs and moving abroad for cheaper labour, factories and industries closing down due to not being competative, mass illegal immigration especially from Mexico, the ever increasing gap between rich and the rest, the ineffectiveness of the federal government(congress), the lobby of special interest groups, profits over people(greed, Wall St., etc.) and other factors. Most of these factors have contributed to the fall of many empires through history. Do you think the American empire is crumbling?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:44am
They are facing serious problems that�s for sure.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:49am
We feel the aftershock of it all in Canada, as does a great chunk of the world.  I wouldn't dare vote "Don't care" because of that fact. Ouch
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 1:56pm
I agree guys. I'm a politcal junkie and watch too much CNN and MSNBC. I'd say about 7 or 8 years ago that we are starting to see the American empire in decline. I've already seen one empire collapse. The U.S.S.R. 

No doubt Dan. We are so interconnected. What usually happens in the states, especially on the finicial side of things we soon follow. It does scare the hell out of me.

Jonas what do think about the EU? Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Spain in very bad finicial shape with most of the western European countries supporting them, especially Germany and the loans to the Greece. The Euro has fallen quite dramatically. I wouldn't be surprised in the very near future that there will be heated debates on which countries should/'shouldn't be included in the union. I think it's going to get worse before gets better.

If the US doesn't raise thier debt ceiling and default on thier loan then we are really in big trouble.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 2:16pm
It's good for all Americans that the empire is crumbling. Nobody needs one. We need our money and resources and people invested here, not wasted in other countries.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by The T 666 The T 666 wrote:

It's good for all Americans that the empire is crumbling. Nobody needs one. We need our money and resources and people invested here, not wasted in other countries.

You libertarian! LOL
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:05pm
um, sorry for being politically correct, but...empire?
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:09pm
^ I was going to mention that too... America never was (and hopefully never will be) an empire. But, assuming it was used metaphorically, that's a fairly simple answer IMO. 
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:35pm
Yes, the political science major in me is cringing. It is no empire...
The "America" that most of the world gripes about, (100% justified IMO, I'd feel the same way) is really just capitalism. Not even in a bad way, just a fact. Is it the country of America that's invaded the world or McDonlands, Starbucks and Coca Cola?
Anyone that's talked about it with me knows how I feel about a lot of things involving America at home and abroad...but there's also a lot of unfair/misguided flak we take and after so many years I just get a bit fed up LOL

BUT, yes. You have hit on many issues of major concern to the country.
The US has been running trade deficits since the 70s, no one cared as long as countries were willing to buy the debt but of course the constant threat here is "when will they stop?" Outsourcing is a major problem, first it was manufacturing jobs that have largely been wiped out, now its hitting white collar America. The grunt work, being shipped out, secretaries, being shipped out, even management now is being shipped out. It cost my dad his job after 33 years of loyal employment...

I get infuriated how no one here seems to get it or dismiss the problem. The recession is/was ending but unemployment was still near 10%. A job loss recovery, our second in a row. Obviously a frightening pattern. Sure jobs are always made, but nowhere near as much as they are being shipped out.

Immigration is not as bad in a "taking jobs" way, but they obviously do not contribute taxes yet benefit from the system and it can be a major drain for sure...

While a lot don't really care about the top/bottom gap I do, and it is indeed continuing to increase. Having so much being held by increasingly little is sad IMO but also dangerous. The middle class is sliding down and being choked...no matter what my family we does we barely stay afloat. Sometimes it feels like the American dream is dead.

The government and congress is a mess beyond words, and greed exists everywhere...but its another problem. Really, greed led to our current economic crisis.
Sorry for that, Embarrassed its well known I'm a political junkie and enthusiastic critic of American government and business!

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:43pm
OK, *breathes* as it's been said the deficits are a massive problem. I hate our foreign policy, so it would be a win win for the US to remove all its troops from the middle east, as well as most of our troops and bases. An overall massive scale back in defense spending. We also need to start living inside our means and being responsible.

I really am worried, what does the future hold? Wal mart has replaced a lot of the jobs, in so many towns that IS the employer. Is that our future?? 10+% unemployment and Wal Mart being the major employer for the country?
I honestly don't really like free trade and globalization...people assume you'll be a paranoid American and I'm sure people around these sites know I'm quite the internationalist! But it's bringing down our middle class.

I know less about the EU, but I do know Greece is in a similar boat of living outside their means/irresponsibly and we all know the crisis it's caused and threatens the Eurozone.

To wrap up, as Dan said...I sure hope no one thinks of this as an American problem because we are in a globalized world. Like it or not, trouble in the US will trickle through the world. Just as it happened in  1929.
By sheer miracle, it seems, a massive disaster was held off but feels as if it is trickling in...

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 14 Jul 2011 at 11:44pm

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:55pm
Oh, and yes I'm glad America was never really an empire. Empires are wrong.
We were, of course, the hub of the global system though.

Honestly, free trade is a great idea in theory but I just don't see it as very realistic today. In the age of multi national corporations all that something like NAFTA, for example, has done is shift everything around for the benefit of the owners...but costs jobs and money for the countries themselves. Apply this to the whole world, add on the fact free trade makes it negative to step up work conditions, environmental protection, etc. It's causing a race to the bottom for the benefit of the top.
OK, I'm done and I swear I'm not a Marxist, I think LOL

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 14 Jul 2011 at 11:55pm

Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:32am
Good lord Brian, way to thesis it up.

And by the way, America can be considered an empire. It just depends on your definition.

Cool
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 6:47am
I feel bad for some on MMA since they just don't know, but those who do shoulda seen this coming from miles!

Yeah, I see that but nah...there were a few examples but the US never really "owned" any other colonies. Ya know? Like havn't exerted physical force over other people like the traditional ones of England, France, Germany, Japan, Russia etc  and the few the US did were given back pretty much issue free.

The US really is capitalism LOL we've chosen to run an economic empire. But really that was my point, especially since the fall of the USSR, peoples gripe with America are a bit misplaced for "dominating" the world. Gripes about being the worlds police force are very valid though. Either way, yeah the country looks to be in a bad way. I've lucked out, managed to land a job where maybe I can still live the American dream but hope looks dim for most others.

Seriously, 2 other jobs failed otherwise I probably would be in a big office ATM, working on a salary with no incentive and would be outsourced in 5 years.

cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 8:02am
Maybe empire was the wrong word to use. Maybe imperialism would of been better.

Here's something interesting on how unemployement #s are figured:

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 9:03am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

They taught us all about the "unemployment" rate in the economics classes I took in university.

I do not work now.  However, since I am actively seeking employment, and haven't retired or given up hope entirely, I am counted as part of the work force.  The unemployment figures omit many different scenarios (students that are full-time students without jobs being another).  I used to just think it meant anybody over 18 who didn't have a job and wasn't retired, and I'm sure a large chunk of people think the same.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 11:28am
Hey Brian let's start this all over right here! We can summon Shields and the rest of the crew and can ignite the fire of discussion once more in another place!Headbanger LOL
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

They taught us all about the "unemployment" rate in the economics classes I took in university.

I do not work now.  However, since I am actively seeking employment, and haven't retired or given up hope entirely, I am counted as part of the work force.  The unemployment figures omit many different scenarios (students that are full-time students without jobs being another).  I used to just think it meant anybody over 18 who didn't have a job and wasn't retired, and I'm sure a large chunk of people think the same.

I'm also part of the number Dan. However I'm not actively looking for work right now. Keep the faith as I'm sure something will come up for ya.

Being Canadian and a neighbour, and yes I can see the US off my back deck as I have a view of the Olympic Peninsula and can see the lights from Port Angeles, Washington at night, I don't have an agenda with this poll and my intentions were not to incite the flames of a politcal arguement.

I will say that I'm somewhat concerned as like someone mentioned earlier that when the US goes into recession it effects basically the whole world and probably Canada more than other country as we are the biggest trading nations in the world, for now anyways as I'm sure China will surpass that.

I've seen what has happened in the US with the mortage crisis, loss of quality jobs, etc. and I have compassion and sympathy for those people. I am angry at Wall St. and our big banks as most of the blame IMO can be put on them for this last economic collapse. What I can't believe is there has been no new regulations installed to have some control over these "people". IMO some of these people are criminals and should be in jail. Nothing has happened. I'm baffled.

Here in Canada our banks and finicial institutions have a lot more regulations thus we, Canada came through this economic crisis probably better than any other country in the western world.

To me it's very simple. There needs to be oversight, regulations, consequences and someone to answer to. Wall St. is running the show. 

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:30pm
Oh don't worry Cannon, you don't know me...so I'll say those giant wall posts were not in anger or flame war, that's meLOL anyone can attest.

In fact, I am just looking to voice my opinions as well and the last thing I want is a debate. PA has enough of that shit and FB can't seem to escape it either, if anyone starts debating me here I am leaving the thread LOL
So to end any potential debate about what an empire is, should capitalism be blamed etc I do agree with OP

The US is in a bad way, anyone who says otherwise is in denial or just foolish.
I also agree about wall street. They are indeed largely to blame and greed was part of it. It's funny, the company I've started at was saying they made it through the crisis fine by "having their hand in one cookie jar" and "doing their job" while others got their hands in EVERY cookie jar and tried to cut corners to make every cent.
Extreme short run profit, good for those at top, but it ran some of these companies into the ground....

Again, Im not getting into any debate here but I will say I agree again, realistic regulation.....is needed. It does kind of grind my gears when people say "what good is it!? look at this crisis" I say "Yes, following a long period of deregulation" then I hear "WHA!? NO regulation is the problem though!"

: S  OK, so after a period of loosening up,  a crisis ensues and too much regulation is to blame?????
This crisis was simply due to extreme greed, no one bothering to act, and frankly a very dumb consumer base.
Many American consumers are to blame as well, buying crazy houses you can never afford but being told "dont worry bout it" or having some shady steps taken...
No one said "what, no I'm supporting that" or even "Well, that's nice you got my back but shouldnt I be somewhat concerned buying this $450,000 house with a minimal income?"

Nope, no one cared. If I was told "oh dont worry we have this (crazy plan follows) and even though you have 0 down payment and no credit you can buy this amazing house!" I'd be a little skeptical....

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 15 Jul 2011 at 3:32pm

cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:02pm
^^^I didn't say it was you nor do I see your posts as inflamming an arguement. I do see your frustration and don't blame you in the least. If it was my country I would be also. I actually agree with you for the most part. Sometimes one's turning thier head is just as bad as the crime itself.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 8:36pm
Oh I'm sure, just making sure the air is clear I can totally see people thinking I am crazy and angry, Im really just a history and political nerd LOL who is a bit crazy and angry...Embarrassed

And hey, the OP and following comments have all been correct. As for the head turning, I can only vouch for here of course. I would like to know what it's like in other countries. Of course everyone likes to spend and generally be dumb LOL and any company is out to make profit, but is the problem to the same extent?

Saw this video in an econ class and it pretty much explains the mess pretty well. So I wonder, in other countries does stuff like this happen? Are the consumers this materialistic and uncaring, and are the fat cats this irresponsible?    Leave the sound off for this

Also this is a bit biased, it does imply every one was like "gee can I haz house?" when it was the Congress who encouraged banks to try and sell houses, even if it wasn't really affordable.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 15 Jul 2011 at 8:38pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic