Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sci-fi cinema and TV appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sci-fi cinema and TV appreciation thread
    Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:11am
Sci-fi figures prominently in the worl of metal - just take albums like Rush's "2112", Anubis Gate's "Andromeda Unchained", all of Coheed and Cambria's output, and Nocturnus' "Threshold" - all of which lyrically deal with science fiction topics - or albums whose cover arts are sci-fi oriented such as Maiden's "Somewhere in Time" and "The Final Frontier", Helstar's "Burning Star", Pestilence's "Spheres", and Suffocation's "Effigy of the Forgotten".

It seems to indicate that many metalheads are sci-fi fans, and so a sci-fi cinema and TV appreciation thread should be quite relevant here. So, what are you favorite sci-fi films and TV series (or which ones don't you like), and why?
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:46am
As a TV series I kinda like "Fringe"
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:53am
I've seen a couple of episodes - it's like CSI meets X-Files, innit?
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:01am

Yeah, it is.

Some of the subject matter is way out there but light entertainment at the same time. Very enjoyable after a long day at the office Big smile

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:11am
I seem to remember that scientist character being... errr.... very out there.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:24am

LOL

Well, he is the son of a Nazi scientist, he has had part of his brain removed and stole his "son" from a parallel universe because his real son died. He lived in a mental institution for seventeen years and has a cow in his laboratory. He is partial to liquorice and strawberry milkshakes amongst other not-so-legal substances.

I guess you could file it under "very out there"! Tongue

Leonard Nimoy plays the character Dr. William Bell, what more could you ask for?? Wink

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:46am
Maybe I should catch a couple of more episodes then :-)
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:54am
i like Kyle XY (first two seasons)

also like Heroes which is sort of sci-fi.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:00am
Well there�s always Blade Runner. A classic. I like the dark philosophical mood and especially the beautiful sequences where Roy Batty closes down and dies: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/

I don�t know if Watchmen applies but I saw a bit of that one a couple of days ago and it looked pretty cool: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:08am
Yeah, Blade Runner  is definitely a classic - I also like how it combines science fiction and film noir, and I must say that I prefer the film to the novel that it is based on (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?).
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:13am
Yeah I�ve read the Philip K. Dick novel too and I agree it wasn�t the most exciting thing. I�ve actually read quite a few of his novels and while they almost always deal with totalitarian regimes in a distant future and the common man�s struggle against those regimes, and that�s a theme that is always cool, they never moved me much.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:17am
I've read some of his other works, too, and I really like Man In The High Castle - I like how the entire universe of the narrative collapses and breaks down.

Anyway, does anybody happen to know a TV show called Space Precinct? As far as I remember, it is a crime show set in a space opera setting.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:21am
Never heard of it.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:26am
I caught a couple of episode back when it was on Danish TV.... as far as I remember, it was pretty cool. I just remembered it because, like Blade Runner, it combines the crime genre with sci-fi.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

LOL

Well, he is the son of a Nazi scientist, he has had part of his brain removed and stole his "son" from a parallel universe because his real son died. He lived in a mental institution for seventeen years and has a cow in his laboratory. He is partial to liquorice and strawberry milkshakes amongst other not-so-legal substances.

I guess you could file it under "very out there"! Tongue

Leonard Nimoy plays the character Dr. William Bell, what more could you ask for?? Wink

Thanks for all the spoilers...

Good thread, but I recommend to add the word "Spoilers" before some great revelation...

Fringe is recommended, anyways.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 1:54pm

Which particular plot did I spoil?

Isn't that information purely describing the character?

Apologies to anyone whose enjoyment may have suffered Tongue

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 1:58pm
mine is ruined (not), i think i have "fringed" one episode, they air season 2 on Fox Crime  looks interesting, ( i think it is the makers of Lost who is behind Fringe. 

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 2:21pm
How about really camp sci-fi, like Flash Gordon from 1980 or the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century series from the same period?
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 2:36pm
can Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtels (TMNT) be regarded as Sci-fi since it is about nucular radiated turtles and a rat, which also deals with time travels and cloning and such, (with some Fantasy elements creeping in)

also the lines between Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy is a blurry thin line which indikated their close relationships 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 3:49pm
That's true... I mean, Frankenstein is a combination of horror and sci-fi. And so is Blade Runner - the movie is full of elements known from Gothic literature.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic