MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's up with the Symphonies of Sickness hate?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's up with the Symphonies of Sickness hate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's up with the Symphonies of Sickness hate?
    Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 7:13am
On Encyclopaedia Metallum, where I originally came from, Symphonies of Sickness (by Carcass) is considered the best thing done by Carcass.  On here, it seems almost the opposite.  I too think that it's better than anything else they've done.  Why don't other people on here like it?
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 7:58am
It has an average three-star rating. That's not exactly what I consider a hateful rating.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 8:04am
I like this album. It's very good grindcore. It's classic. 
Inexistence is the true normality.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 8:09am
I�ve never liked the album. I don�t enjoy the sound production, the songs don�t stand out much from each other and the musicianship isn�t that exciting either. Just because it�s a classic and very influential release (which I don�t dispute one second) don�t mean I like it from a subjective point of view.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 10:15am
I don't own it, but I've listened to it a few times.  I'll probably get it eventually to fill out my collection.  I don't have any distinct memories of really liking it or hating it.  Probably the fact it's not a great sounding album in terms of production is why people here don't like it, and considering most of the initial membership to this site came from Prog Archives, not many people are into that extreme sound.  Maybe Bill Steer's vocals aren't liked as much as Jeff's, that could have something to do with it.  They were hard on my ears when I first heard them.

I recall Scum by Napalm Death is not that well liked either (2.44 rating).  I think it has its charm and a number of entertaining songs, and I gave it 3 stars, meaning "good but not essential".  However, Symphonies of Sickness has a solid rating of 3.05, so it's liked more than a great chunk of albums listed, including the arguably more "essential" Scum. 

Maybe the idea is that while these albums helped launch a new subgenre, people don't like where it started as much as what it evolved into.  I know that I am not really that much of a fan of earlier death metal releases like Scream Bloody Gore, but love what the band Death became with Human onward.  The same must be the case with people listening to Carcass starting with Necrotism and Napalm Death into the 90s.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 1:36pm
I've seen people who love Death's first two (sometimes three) albums and hate everything else done by them.  I'd hate to say that it's all because of the user demographic here, but there's a huge spillover from ProgArchives and we have a bigger amount of favor for anything considered Progressive and a small amount of pretty much everything else.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 1:58pm
Hey, it's in the top 10 grindcore albums isn't it? Tongue
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I've seen people who love Death's first two (sometimes three) albums and hate everything else done by them.

I've encountered plenty of people like that, too. Personally, I like all of Death's releases, but I definitely prefer "Human", "Symbolic", "Individual...", and "...Perseverance". The first Death album I heard back in the day was "Symbolic", and I was blown away by the energy, melody and the riffage combined with the death metal elements, and then the drumming was unlike anything I'd ever heard before. I've also encountered people who think that "Reek of Putrefaction" and "Symphonies of Sickness" are far superior to the rest of Carcass' output. I do enjoy "Symphonies..." but I must admit that I prefer the band's three last outputs (I wouldn't exactly say that "Swansong" is progressive though).

Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I'd hate to say that it's all because of the user demographic here, but there's a huge spillover from ProgArchives and we have a bigger amount of favor for anything considered Progressive and a small amount of pretty much everything else.

You are probably right there, and the only way to change this is to attract more users without PA backgrounds. This is happening, so I think it is only a matter of time before the progressive bias disappears.

I maintain that with an average rating of 3, "Symphonies of Sickness" cannot be said to be a hated release on the MMA
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 4:11am
Yes in time the progressive bias is sure to disappear, but I think it will take a long time so we need a bit of patience here. I�m sure when some hardcore goregrind fans enlist we�ll see higher ratings (and hopefully some positive reviews too) for some of the "classic" releases in the genre. It�s always valuable to hear what both camps have to say.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 6:16am
True.... and of course both brutal goregrind butchers and highbrow prog metal dandies are equally welcome on the MMA :-)
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 6:33am
But glam metal and maybe the happy power metal fans are not welcome. At least for me.
Inexistence is the true normality.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:00am
Only the unhappy power metal fans are welcome ;-)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:54am
^LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 3:31am
All joking aside, glam metal fans and Euro power metal fans are, of course, welcome, too. In fact, we have a very good reviewer/collab, who's into glam metal.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 4:18am
Oh yeah no one should doubt the joke angle hereSmile. Glam and power rule!!!!!!!!!!!Headbanger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image