MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater's New Track out June 29, 11AM EST
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dream Theater's New Track out June 29, 11AM EST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:41am
Given that it's from the label's official youtube channel, then I assume it's the real thing.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:52am
I'm liking the song more now I've played it a few times.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Coffin Joe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:56am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

I hated that fan art but if that was indeed the album art, I dont care for it either.

The song IS good and has potential, but it just left me feeling nothing.
We'll see when I can hear the whole album.

Yeah, the cover looks like something from a YES record. Not that I don't like YES, but come on DT!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:59am
hehe flogging yourself is so Opus Dei - I knew you where in a cult! Headbanger

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Coffin Joe Coffin Joe wrote:

Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

I hated that fan art but if that was indeed the album art, I dont care for it either.

The song IS good and has potential, but it just left me feeling nothing.
We'll see when I can hear the whole album.

Yeah, the cover looks like something from a YES record. Not that I don't like YES, but come on DT!

Strike that! YES has better covers!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:31pm
One listen struck me as a pretty good song.  Not mindblowingly good, and not crap.  I'll hear it a few more times before the day is done to let it sink in. 
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:44pm
All of the Roger Dean YES covers are pretty awesome....
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:27pm
It looks like a generic prog metal record cover. Kind of like... Black Clouds, Systematic Chaos, Octavarium, Metropolis Pt. 2, Falling into Infinity, Awake, and Images & Words. Tongue

Symbolically you could assume the album cover means it is above the Black Clouds with the Silver Linings. It didn't have to go too far up.

EDIT: Upon a couple more listens I rather like the song. The verses are kind of slow paced but everything else is generally pretty good. Those orchestra hits by Rudess rub me the wrong way though.

Edited by topofsm - 29 Jun 2011 at 4:36pm
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

One listen struck me as a pretty good song.  Not mindblowingly good, and not crap.  I'll hear it a few more times before the day is done to let it sink in. 

Pretty much.

Though DT's problem for me as of late (like the last 3 albums) has been inconsistency...so they need the whole album to strike me.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 9:24pm
I really like the song. Not their best, but a great track overall. And that's after only one listen. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 2:35am
Hey guys, how's your impression of the drumming? Is it different from before and all that business?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 12:00am
I honestly couldn't hear, there was a new guy behind the kit. DT didn't go for the: "wow, let's show the world our new drummer on this track." 

Regarding the track, I thinks it really grows on you. Maybe not one of their best songs ever written - but hey that would be pretty wild, considering the back-catalogue of great songs these guys have . I really like the way the song opens with a choir. It gives it an epic feel, that makes me look forward to the album itself. 

Edited by Coffin Joe - 01 Jul 2011 at 12:04am
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Coffin Joe Coffin Joe wrote:

I honestly couldn't hear, there was a new guy behind the kit. DT didn't go for the: "wow, let's show the world our new drummer on this track." 

Yeah I know from interviews and such that Mangini wasn't involved in much of the writing process, so this album will still probably have that same, classic Portnoy/ Dream Theater sound with maybe a few influences from Mangini here and there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic