Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grip Inc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grip Inc.
    Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 6:10pm
Anyone know this band?

I stumbled across them today and have been listening to their stuff on youtube.
Impressive enough groove/thrash metal that gets increasingly, dare I say, progressive with each album!

Also, when Dave Lombardo returned to Slayer I wondered "holy hell where did he learn to drum!?" well sounds like maybe his work with this band.

So any input/recommendations?
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 8:29pm
They're a pretty solid thrash band for sure.  Their first album had some good stuff on it.  I haven't heard any of their other albums aside from a few songs.  The first one (Power of Inner Strength) seemed to be better than anything else I heard from them.

You say it gets more progressive with each album?  What were some of the better songs?  Maybe I heard the wrong ones.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

They're a pretty solid thrash band for sure.  Their first album had some good stuff on it.  I haven't heard any of their other albums aside from a few songs.  The first one (Power of Inner Strength) seemed to be better than anything else I heard from them.

You say it gets more progressive with each album?  What were some of the better songs?  Maybe I heard the wrong ones.

Well I listened to a handful on youtube Embarrassed
But yeah their first (the ones I heard) seemed like straight up groove/thrash
Last album had some thrash but pretty unusual song structures and lots of stuff atypical for thrash metal LOL

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 12:21am
I have a couple of albums including the debut album, but they collect dust in my basement. I liked them when they came out but if I want to listen to thrash in this vein I�ll take Slayer or The Haunted any day. Grip Inc. are a decent act though and as far as I remember their output were pretty consistent in quality. I seem to remember that the lead vocalist ( Gus Chambers) commited suicide a couple of years back. Anyone remember anything about this?

Edited by UMUR - 28 Jun 2011 at 1:42am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 1:49am
Hmm well worth a try at least

I just looked it up....the official report is "accidental death due to a mixture of his medication and alcohol"
Though that of course would be a good way to hide a suicide.
According to wiki a year later his son then committed suicide... shit, a bit morbid Unhappy

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 1:53am
Oh damn what a sad storyDisapproveOuch
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 2:12am
Yeah, wow...

Well I can't let a metal band go. I shall try them, though it sounds decent but unspectacular at best.
What I have heard is quite fine but certainly not earth shattering or really intriguing (except maybe this last album)

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 28 Jun 2011 at 2:46am

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 2:53am
A couple of samples from the first album:

Edited by UMUR - 28 Jun 2011 at 2:55am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 3:02am
...It does sound like Slayer pretty muchLOL

Their final album seems to have progressed quite a bit

Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 2:27pm
Well, I'll represent the different opinion on the matter.

I absolutely love Grip Inc. and in fact I consider them to be one of the best metal bands post-95. 

Their best albums are Nemesis (1997) and Incorporated (2004), with the other two also being great stuff.
In essence they were always a trio, the bassists were never stable or important really.

The core of the band was Waldemar Sorychta, Dave Lombardo and Gus Chambers. Waldemar, the Polish guitarist, is perhaps known to some from his work in the German thrash band Despair. He then played in Voodoocult, as did Dave Lombardo, where they hooked up for Grip. He is also known for some of his production work, especially in the "atmospheric" side of metal (he did Tiamat, The Gathering, Sentenced, I think Lacuna Coil as well, and more, not my preference). He also did the production for an obscure favourite of mine, Crows - The Dying Race (really cool power/thrash).

Lombardo needs no introduction, he left Slayer and in my opinion proved to be by far the most "musical" one, seeking to do fresh and original stuff AND actually delivering. I consider all Grip albums to be (notably) superior musically to any post 1990 Slayer album. 

Gus Chambers has a nice, powerful voice. Didn't know his work from before but I love his powerful deliverance of lyrics in Grip. Very saddened by his death. Especially, since it meant the end of Grip.

Now, the music. In the debut, they presented a fresh dose of modern metal, which drew influences from the two core members' past (ie thrash) with a modern, perhaps more minimal touch in the riffing. The sound they established (esp. the guitar/riff sound with the Lombardo signature drum sound) was totally characteristic and stayed with them for the rest of their albums. 

Hostage to Heaven was a huge hit when it came out. Basically, Dave Lombardo steals the show, he fucking rips on that one. A thrash classic which really Slayer never matched. That's the most Slayer-ish song of the album. And probably the best. The other hit was Ostracized, a groovy heavy number. I find Monster Among Us a killer song as well, and very Grip-ish!

Nemesis is my favourite album of Grip. They continue with the same direction but this time around I find they really got their songwriting down. Rusty Nail is a fucking huge song. I think it must be their most famous song as well. Other monsters on the album include the opener Pathetic Liar, the obligatory Slayer-ish War Between One and my personal fave Scream at the Sky.

I would also like to note that although the band did not have a huge success commercially (afaik), Lombardo's high profile did not go unnoticed. I would be willing to bet that many modern (and hugely successful) bands draw influence from them. I am specifically thinking of System of a Down as the most prominent example (I do hear stuff from Grip in their music).

Then we have Solidify, which I won't elaborate more on because time is pressing and I do want to talk about Incorporated... Great album, this is where they really begun to experiment more with their songwriting. Fans of weird prog experimenting will appreciate tracks like Bug Juice for example. Among Grip fans, it has its sworn worshippers abd I think it's just a case of which album you listened to first (it was Nemesis for me). But on to Incorporated...

...which I easily place among the top-10 best metal albums of the 00s. That good. 
First, it is a metal offering that is oozing HEALTH, freshness, character, a voice of its own. Second, the songwriting again is magnificent. I would recommend listening to Prophecy, that showcases the band's mix of that fresh metal sound, with some electronic/industrial ambience and more melody than usual. Loads of energy, a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Another example of their awesome sound. (Built to) Resist.  Fantastic song. Melodic and heavy, a gothic feel that still has balls, if that makes sense.

In this album, you get all the stuff Grip was known for. Their signature sound, richer songwriting, which I guess features the "prog" elements some have mentioned in the form of throwing interesting shit in the mix, like the industrial elements I talked about, flamenco guitars, the cello stuff with the guy from Apocalyptica helping and more.

I consider the band to be criminally underrated and I would be willing to bet that as time goes by they will be getting the appreciation they deserve. It is VERY frustrating to hear that they are a Slayer kind of band. The music in their albums is WAY more innovative than Slayer have been in the past 21 years. Do check them out and decide for yourself.

The youtube clips:

Sorry for the long post. I just LOVE Grip (as if you can't tell) and I want to spread the word!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 2:40pm
Wow I�ve met a lot of people who thought Grip Inc. were a decent thrash metal act but I�ve never met a REAL fan. Go VicHeadbanger
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 3:06pm
Heh! It's been months since I logged in here and this thread was at the top. It was karma really! The universe telling the forum that it needs to listen to more Grip Inc!

Well, I wouldn't really call them a thrash metal band. They have too much stuff going on to be called a thrash metal band really. They certainly have a few thrash metal songs (Hostage to Heaven and War Between One being the most obvious) but overall, they are much more. 

This band needs MORE fans!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic