MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review Reporting Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 6:09am
Raff, I really love these expressions "the biggest flaw for the less than successful nature of this disc", "he album�s ill-judged mix", "mercifully, the band avoided overstretching themselves", "what is meant as the disc�s highlight", "somewhat uncomfortable listening on account of its amateurish sound", and "it is to be hoped that, for any future efforts, the band will try to get a better producer, and also tighten up on the compositional aspect"... that's a really classy way of saying "this shit fails" ;-) I wish I had the ability to do bashing with such style and class ;-)
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 6:41am
Thank youSmile! You know, it's easy to bash using four-letter words or their thinly-veiled surrogates - much less so to try and find something positive to say in order to avoid discouraging the musicians. Unless we're talking about really successful acts (like Metallica or Iron Maiden, for instance), those people have to hold day jobs in order to be able to play and record their music, and I believe we should at least respect the effort behind every release of this kind, even if we hate every minute of it.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 4:26pm
Just found this on the ProgressiveEars forum:
http://www.progressiveears.com/forums/thread.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=121186&posttime=7%2F14%2F2010+2%3A17%3A42+PM&private=

The review in question is now on PA's front page. This is one of the reasons why we should pay a lot of attention to anything that is published here. People have eyes, and will comment on what they find around the web.

Edited by Raff - 14 Jul 2010 at 4:27pm
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 4:45pm
link didn't work for me. 
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 4:48pm
It does for me, and I'm not even a member anymore (deleted my membership a few days ago - don't like cliquesDead). Anyway, if you go on the ProgEars homepage, you'll see the thread- it's the first in the list as to now.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 4:51pm
The DT punctuation one.  I kept looking for that on the MMA front page and couldn't figure out why I couldn't see it, but I see now that you say PA's front page.  I suppose it is only a matter of time before it finds the MMA front page.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 4:52pm
Perhaps the people at PA should be told about that, but I'm not going to do it. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 1:44am
I�m biased about it really! The very concept of MMA and PA is that everyone are allowed to post reviews and not allowing "certain" people to write reviews seems a bit hostile to me and goes against the spirit of the concept. On the other hand there are some reviews so badly written or auto-translated that no one but the reviewer himself/ herself is able to get anything out of them and those reviews might actually  be harmful to the site(s). So are we going to be harder on the reviewers who don�t write understandable English ( the really badly written ones) here on MMA than they are on PA?
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 7:12am
Unfortunately, PA gained a bad reputation in the prog world because of those unedited reviews. I believe ProgEars adopted the best solution: they have a person who is in charge of editing the reviews submitted by the site members. On a related note, I don't think it's a question of being a native speaker or not, or at least not always. Neither you nor I are (nor is Kim, to name another), and yet we write much better reviews that many native speakers who ignore the rules of punctuation and spelling.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 7:47am

Maybe a review watchdog or two might be the solution. I�m not against that. As long as enthusiastic members are treated with respect. Guided and not scoldedThumbs Up

Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 1:30am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/the-final-frontier--review.aspx?id=219027

I don't believe he has heard the album. I could complain about the writing style as well, could use a bit of editing...
<- Click on this!
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/the-final-frontier--review.aspx?id=219027

I don't believe he has heard the album. I could complain about the writing style as well, could use a bit of editing...

And... the official date is August 16, we should encourage illegal download? Cause is kinda obvious that this is not an official release.
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 3:06am
No we do not endorse illigal download, and until the official release date the review should be removed, unless of course, the reviewer have a promo copy.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 5:22am
OK guys, I've seen the review, and promptly PM'd Ovidiu, asking him to remove the review and repost it after the album's official release. If he doesn't, I'm going to delete the whole album entry (since here we can). We have to be very careful with high-profile releases like this one, and possibly avoid entering them in the DB before the official release date. Remember what happened on PA every time a well-known band released an album? 
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 6:46am
What happened?
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 7:01am
I deleted the entry, since even deleting the review the rating would remain. The album will be added again on August 16 - I have all the data saved in a Word document. Since we don't have access to a 'delete rating/review' facility, this was the only thing to be done. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 1:26pm
I figured that out :-) but what was it that used to happen on PA whenever a well-known artist would release a new album?
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 1:30pm
Tons of worthless reviews and either 5- or 1-star ratings (depending on whether we were dealing with worshippers or haters...). The Admins in charge of the reviews part of the site spent a lot of time deleting those unauthorized items, but no one would listen to us when we recommended not allowing the addition of the albums altogether. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 1:44pm
Oh, so like really rabid fans would 5-star an album that wasn't out yet and that they probably hadn't even heard yet? That's a big problem, to be sure.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 1:47pm
It happened all the time with Dream Theater... I remember, when Octavarium was due to come out, things got particularly bad. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic