0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-metal
    Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 2:02am
Favorite post metal band?

Could never decide between CoL, Pelican and Isis. Well after some deep pondering and listening I have decided overall, my vote goes to Pelican.

A very close one but in the end, it was down to overall enjoyment and I have gotten the most from Pelican.

So how about it?

Also, didn't include the band Minsk since I only have one album by them, "The Ritual Fires of Abandonment" so I can't accurately judge them, but kudos for that great album!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 2:20am
I absolutely adore Neurosis so they get my vote. You should get the latest Minsk album Brian. It�s really a great album too. The debut is pretty good too but not as interesting as the two next. I�ve posted reviews of all three albums: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/minsk.aspx?ac=minsk

Another recommendation would be the new Bloodiest album. I have a review coming of that soon. Really great stuff.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 2:40am
Thanks Jonas! Will do.

D'oh! Realized I forgot Yakuza. Again, I only know one album, "Of Seismic Consequences" but it is brilliant stuff. Loved it.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 2:45am
To keep the discussion going:

Neurosis gets huge respect from me, as pretty much the fathers of post metal but also as just one of the more innovative metal bands of the time, but musically I am not a big fan Cry
TSiB is pretty good, but that is about the only album I really like.

Long story short, their music just never really captivates me. Little interest when I am listening. Maybe it is just too challenging LOL but I always love a challenge! Gave em many listens and Neurosis just doesn't do it for me.
Also I really don't like his vox.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 07 Jun 2011 at 2:46am

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:18am

I have a few albums by some of the bands mentioned, they rarely get a spin though.

The Sparowes probably edge it for me but that might change when I see Neurosis next month.

Seeing a band live always makes a huge difference to my listening experience. 

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 7:21am
Isis!
Inexistence is the true normality.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 8:47am
I can't make up my mind. Cry

I've heard all the above bands, but do not have nearly enough of any of their albums to make a completely informed decision.  The most albums I have by any of the above is 3 by The Ocean.  Anthropocentric I voted as my favorite 2010 metal album, so I clearly like what they do.  However, I still won't vote.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 11:18am
I wouldn't call Yakuza post, they are straight-up primordial sludge.

For me it's between Neurosis, Isis, and Russian Circles.  Of the three Neurosis have the most albums I greatly enjoy, but I think Isis' 4 last albums are higher on my list than most of Neurosis' discography.  I guess I will go with Isis.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 07 Jun 2011 at 1:07pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 1:02pm
Yeah I don't have all the albums of all these bands but felt I should list em all for variation.

Remember Colin, I don't like to be uber specific...I take a fairly loose view on post metal. I consider post metal the best banner for (most of) Agalloch's work but didn't want to create a lulzstorm.

Anthro and Helo by the Ocean are also pretty great I must say!

cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 2:32pm
From the list, Isis. Only have three of thier albums. Pelican would be second. Capricorns' "Ruder Forms Survive" is my fav album. Not a huge fan of this genre.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 2:47pm
Capricorns!
Inexistence is the true normality.
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 5:32pm
Only post metal album I absolutely adore is Oceanic, so Isis gets my vote.
RuneWalsh2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuneWalsh2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 6:40pm
Russian Circles for me, even though I only have their debut album. Hopefully I can get the rest of their discography during their upcoming gig a month from now.

Wait... are those suspenders?!?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 6:43pm
Russian Circles put on the best live show I've ever seen.
RuneWalsh2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuneWalsh2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Russian Circles put on the best live show I've ever seen.
Really looking forward to that gig. Thumbs Up

Wait... are those suspenders?!?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 7:27pm
I would love to see some post metal bands live.
Despite what I would think I've heard they, (as well as post rock bands) usually put on one hell of a show.

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 7:50pm
Neurosis.  They pioneered the genre.  Even though I love Somewhere Along the Highway, Panopticon, and Precambrian; I'd take Souls at Zero or Given to the Rising instead.  Their other albums have a good chance of being bumped up to five stars for me when I give them a re-listen.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 8:09pm
Neurosis, by a considerable margin. Are there any groups getting around with an older 90's sludgy feel to them? I'm thinking something a long the lines of a more atmospheric (maybe experimental) eyehategod sound. 
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:41pm
Without doubt Neurosis were the fathers.
I can see how Tool was an influence but Neurosis are the post metal pioneers.

I just am not too big a fan of their stuff

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 2:11pm
Out of this selection it's Isis just over Russian Circles (even if Russian Circles isn't really post-metal). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic