Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opeth: 'Heritage' Album Details Revealed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opeth: 'Heritage' Album Details Revealed
    Posted: 27 May 2011 at 1:44pm
OPETH: 'Heritage' Album Details Revealed - May 26, 2011

Swedish progressive metallers OPETH will release their tenth album,"Heritage", on September 20 via Roadrunner Records. The CD was produced by OPETH vocalist/guitarist Mikael �kerfeldt and was recorded earlier this year at Atlantis studios (formerly Metronome studios) in Stockholm. Mixing duties were handled by Steven Wilson (PORCUPINE TREE) and �kerfeldt. Longtime collaborator Travis Smith also worked with �kerfeldt to create, design and execute the album's artwork.

"Heritage" will be released in several configurations that will certainly incite the interest of OPETH's legion of fans, known for their passion for collecting and collectibles. The album will be released as a standard version; as a special edition loaded with extras; as a box set exclusive to the Roadrunner and the band's own official Omerch webstore; and as a double LP. There is something for every OPETH fan, thanks to this variety of options.

Commented �kerfeldt, "It will be our 10th album/observation. I dig it; we all do. In fact, it feels like I've been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19."

�kerfeldt went a little deeper and described the music contained within"Heritage", saying, "It's quite intense at times in some 'old' murky way, and quite beautiful and stark at times, if I may say so myself. 

"It's obvious I'm going to say nice things about it since I wrote, basically, the whole piece, but I guess it will raise a few eyebrows and it certainly is an acquired taste. 

"I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record. 

"I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like. 

"If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be OPETH, but it's different from the stuff we've done before. 

"I've listened a lot to ALICE COOPER for the last year, yet I can't say it sounds like 'No More Mr. Nice Guy'

"I hope you'll like it once you hear it."

"Heritage" track listing:

01. Heritage 
02. The Devil's Orchard
03. I Feel The Dark
04. Slither 
05. Nepenthe
06. Haxprocess 
07. Famine 
08. The Lines In My Hand 
09. Folklore 
10. Marrow Of The Earth

OPETH will embark on a seven-week, headline tour of the U.S. Dates will be announced imminently.

OPETH's last album, "Watershed" (2008), sold more than 19,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 23 on The Billboard 200 chart. Its predecessor, "Ghost Reveries", debuted at No. 64 on the Billboard chart back in September 2005 with first-week sales of just under 15,000. OPETH's 2003 album, "Damnation", opened with a little over 5,000 copies.

Keyboardist Per Wiberg was relieved of his duties as a member of OPETHlast month as part of a mutual decision with the band. Keyboard duties on upcoming tours will be handled by a musician who is already rehearsing with the group. Said musician�s identity will be released at a later date.

�kerfeldt released the following statement on the matter: "Well, it's been somewhat of a revolving door of members during the last couple of years, and now Per is no longer a member. [MartinMendez [bass], Axe[Martin Axenrot, drums] and Fredrik [�kesson, guitar] and I came to the decision that we should find a replacement for Per right after the recordings of the new album, and this came as no surprise to Per. He had, in turn, been thinking about leaving, so you could say it was a mutual decision. There's no bad blood, just a relationship that came to an end, and that's that. We wish Per the best, and he did a splendid job recording keyboards for the last record, which stands as his final recording withOPETH."

As part of the celebration of their 20th anniversary, OPETH released live footage and audio from the band's performance at London's famed Royal Albert Hall. The concert (recorded on April 5, 2010) included two sets, the first consisting of the band performing 2000's now-classic, breakthrough epic "Blackwater Park" in its entirety, and the second, a chronologically arranged selection of material from the rest of OPETH's extensive catalogue, totaling almost three hours of music. "In Live Concert At The Royal Albert Hall" is, like the rest of OPETH's greatest work, "purposefully warped in all the right places" (Decibel). The front cover artwork concept pays tribute to DEEP PURPLE's "Concerto for Group and Orchestra", underlining the band's longstanding love for their prog-rock roots. 

(from blabbermouth.net)
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 2:09pm
Can. Not. Wait.

Might have to dig into the savings account when the special edition info is released.

Edited by Pekka - 27 May 2011 at 2:09pm
<- Click on this!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 2:41pm
Can't wait! ClapBig smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolutionary Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 1:59am
So excited~
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:05am
Can't wait.

Also:
At least 2 members of Agalloch have expressed some..confusion over the final song name LOL

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 30 May 2011 at 2:05am
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:12am
Even though I am like MANY here who are anticipating a great album . . .

Cant help to think many Death Metal fans will be disappointed that they are moving further away
from the genre.
But as Akerfeldt has said time and time again, he would rather progress than stay stagnate.
Imo - their music takes Death Metal to new heights and Progressive Metal to heavier territory Smile.
Though I do hope the album is HEAVY, but they havent disappointed me.

Though I will miss "Per Wiberg" very much :keybang: Cry.

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Can. Not. Wait.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 2:02am

Here�s the cover artwork:

Opeth Heritage album cover
Now that is a late sixties/ early seventies looking cover artwork if I ever saw one. It�ll be interesting to hear what they�ve cooked up for us this time.

Edited by UMUR - 02 Jun 2011 at 2:03am
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 2:17am
Bravo!!!Clap

Travis Smith and Opeth re-inventing themselves as Artists and Musicians!

Been wondering when Travis would find a "New Look" as well for Opeth's covers.
Agree . . . very 70's looking Big smile.
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 2:22am
OhShocked I would never have guessed that it was a Travis Smith cover.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 8:56am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Now that is a late sixties/ early seventies looking cover artwork if I ever saw one. It�ll be interesting to hear what they�ve cooked up for us this time.

WOW!Shocked Looks awesome! And so different... I hope it's a good sign.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 9:44am
That cover is getting me excited too!  Their other ones of late are okay, but too similar.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

WOW!Shocked Looks awesome! And so different... I hope it's a good sign.

That's an amazing cover! Clap
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 4:29pm
WANT
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 5:14pm
Will say what I've said on PA and FB

Glad Mikael is changing it up...one more album of the same and Opeth would be in a very sad place Cry

The 70's prog rock album cover + the lack of death metal and growls leads me to believe it will have a 70s prog rock feel LOL
Much as I love Damnation, don't need a second one. That was a good album so would hate to see a clone of that.

Ideally, I would die and go to heaven if the album had: a 70's prog feel with some metal mixed in and some jazz/blues/folk influences. That would be amazing Big smile
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 3:31am
I�ve copy/ pasted this from a post on PA:

Some info about Opeth's new album:

-It was played in 5.1 surround system and according to the writer the mix was good although he's usually not a fan of playing rock in other than stereo format. �kerfeldt himself said "I first heard the record today and I didn't know they were going to play it to the media in surround. I had my doubts, but the end-result made me have goose bumps"

-It's about 56 minutes long.

-Draws to mind Sabbath, Beatles, jazz, King Crimson, Cream, Rainbow, Floyd, funk, Purple, Piirpauke, classical, My Dying Bride, folk, Love, Jethro Tull, Maiden�

-No death metal parts or growling

-No modern style of "wall of guitar tracks".

-Lots of keys, piano and mellotron are featured. Some intros include clarinet and contrabass.

- "We aren't concerned about other people's opinions", �kerfeldt stated. "If fans of death metal can't enjoy this, that's their problem"

The band leader also said that he had grown tired of extreme metal already in the 90s, but couldn't explain why the previous record still included death growls.

"I have wanted to make a record like this since I was 20", �kerfeldt said and added that making it would not have been possible without the metal roots that brought them success.

The journalist also says: "In any case, some metal fans will have troule with Heritage, but if your hopes are more in the 70s, this album can only work. This is probably safe to assume after a single listen. 

The first 7 songs are insanely good, the other 3 a bit less so."

source:

http://www.inferno.fi/blogi-opeth-heritage-ilm-20-9-4914/

Sweden's most revered and respected progressive metal mavens Opeth will release Heritage, their third album for Roadrunner, on September 20th. The first video and single will be the song "The Devil's Orchard". Heritage follows up 2008's Watershed and 2005's Ghost Reveries, each of which garnered the forward-thinking, genre-bending band some of the best reviews of their career. 

Opeth frontman and guitarist Mikael �kerfeldt weighed in on Heritage, saying: "It will be our 10th album/observation. I dig it; we all do. In fact, it feels like I've been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19."

�kerfeldt went a little deeper and described the music contained within Heritage, saying: "It's quite intense at times in some 'old' murky way, and quite beautiful and stark at times, if I may say so myself. It's obvious I'm going to say nice things about it since I wrote basically the whole piece, but I guess it will raise a few eyebrows and it certainly is an acquired taste. I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record. I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like. If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be Opeth, but it's different from the stuff we've done before. I've listened a lot to Alice Cooper for the last year, yet I can't say it sounds like 'No More Mr. Nice Guy'. I hope you'll like it once you hear it."

The album was produced by �kerfeldt and mixed along with Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson, who is also a labelmate of Opeth. Longtime collaborator Travis Smith also worked with �kerfeldt to create, design and execute the album's artwork.

Heritage tracklist: 

01. Heritage 
02. The Devil's Orchard
03. I Feel The Dark
04. Slither 
05. Nepenthe
06. Haxprocess 
07. Famine 
08. The Lines In My Hand 
09. Folklore 
10. Marrow Of The Earth
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 3:31am
In that size the album cover looks even more impressiveClap

No death growlsShocked??? Hmm...I hope it�s not "Damnation" number 2.

Edited by UMUR - 03 Jun 2011 at 3:33am
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 5:45am

Thanks for that update!
I was as bored with the growls on Watershed as Mike himself (except for the Lotus Eater maybe)
They will be better without growls then with lukewarm growls.

(but of course never as good as with the super-evil-twisted-sick growls of BWP or MAYH)

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 6:18am
Hmm...never thought of his growls on Watershed as uninspired.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 11:32am
Although lack of death metal may/hurt be a serious shot at the "Opeth sound," between that album art, list of influences and his description as "an acquired taste" I don't see how it could possibly be another boring ol' Damnation.  PLus he says this is the album he has wanted to make since he was 19, and if it was another Damnation he would have already done so
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic