Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abortion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abortion
    Posted: 22 May 2011 at 6:03pm
A thread about this controversial topic was going to happen soon enough, so I'd figure that I should be the one to finally start it. Big smile

What are your thoughts on abortion? Is it a moral procedure? Should be legal, and if so, under which circumstances?

As most of you know, I'm an atheist and secular humanist. Unlike most atheists, however, I am a "pro-lifer" or whatever other terminology you choose. Once I gave up my religious beliefs and realized that this is the one and only life any of us are sure to ever experience, I gained a new appreciation and love towards nature and human life. Abortion (aside from the scenario in which the baby harms the mother's life) seems like a highly immoral and, quite honestly, evil procedure to me. I would regard most abortion scenarios to be the equivalent of murder.

However, my stance on the legality of the issue is still undetermined. I think it should probably remain legal (I'm a libertarian after all), but it seems like a largely immoral act to me.

Of course, I'm willing to discuss and possibly change my views on this topic. Smile

Edited by J-Man - 24 May 2011 at 7:42pm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 3:32am
Good thing MMA is so slow still...we don't need this one to explode LOL

Sounds like a cop out but I am 100% sincere:
I just don't know.
Mulled it over a long time and have spent times on both sides of the fence, but always took down my camp to walk to the other side!

My gut says: "pro life" I kind of hate that term LOL but my mind wants to say "You know it would still continue, lets be realistic" so make it as safe as possible.

There are of course the situations like rape, where one can wonder if forcing her to keep it is morally wrong. It was unasked for, unwanted, forced upon her...she would have to carry it, birth it (no walk in the park!) and either raise it or put it up for adoption, 100% due to an outside circumstance. In this scenario who knows the impact on adoption it would have.
Oh, also what about different stages of pregnancy? At the very undeveloped level is it permissible?
A sticky wicket that I honestly have no damn clue where I stand yet.

And yes, coming from someone who is secular and anti religious. Kind of scary how it has become almost divided as a religious/secular thing...given what is at hand I do hope it gets thought about and not just carried along! I used to go about it without thought being a good liberal...but I have a deep respect for all life (Ive been called a hippie too many times) so I never felt right being 100% dedicated to "pro choice"
GAH! I went on too long again
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 3:33am
In an ideal world...make sure the support, education, and facilities will always be there so the number can be reduced to only the emergencies.

Keep it legal, safe and rare.
For my political run in the future Wink

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 3:51am
I'm pro-choice. Abortion is a complex social issue, and having an abortion is not, to me, per se immoral.In fact, I think that strict pro-life is immoral.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 3:53am
In the ideal world, of course everything would be "pro-life". But, as Brian said there are plenty of situations where the ideal is obviously not happening in this universe.

That being said, I feel there definitely should be more restrictions on it. If either the mother's or the baby's life may be compromised with the birth, then obviously that should be taken into consideration. I feel that adoption is an option that far too many people don't consider. I feel a lot of the time that the possibility of the child growing up to be "unwanted" is a somewhat frail excuse for an expecting mother who doesn't want to go through the procedure.

Perhaps I should not judge too harshly, since I am a male and will never house new life, but I honestly think that the pregnant woman should "man up" in a sense and go through the consequences, instead of renouncing responsibility. I will try not to make myself look righteous or whatever by saying that I would follow through with my actions because I am accountable, but I feel if I had the option I would bear the weight of pregnancy.

Ultimately, it's a tough issue that would be made all the easier if the fetus' sentience was more clarified.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 4:11am
There�s no need to bring a new life into this world if you are not able to take care of it. We have enough homeless, starving kids without parents or with parents that are not able to provide them with love and care in this world already. People against abortion usually have this standpoint out of a religious belief, but IMO that doesn�t qualify as a good reason. We are animals, and just because we have a more evolved brain than most animals do, we shouldn�t let morals or religious bogus get in the way of rational acts. If you can�t take care of your child for whatever reason, you shouldn�t have it!

My opinion of courseSmile.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:45am
Since the fetus is connected with woman's body, depend on her vital energy and is fed and protected inside her, I think it should be mother's choice if she want to keep it or not. I know that the thing becomes even more serious and controversial when the fetus grows and becomes more and more human-like, but legally, it still shouldn't be forbidden. 

As for moral aspects... well, it's not so easy. I mean for parents, especially mothers that are considering abortion, it must be a terrible dilemma. But again, I think that human, as other animals, shouldn't be considered an independent being till its birth - before that it's just a part of pregnant woman's body.

I know it may sound callous but really that's what I think. I'll never be pregnant so maybe I'll never fully understand it, but for me it's just another reason to be pro-choice. If you can't understand something, try not to make others miserable because of your ignorance.

Edited by bartosso - 23 May 2011 at 9:06am
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Good thing MMA is so slow still...we don't need this one to explode LOL

Sounds like a cop out but I am 100% sincere:
I just don't know.
Mulled it over a long time and have spent times on both sides of the fence, but always took down my camp to walk to the other side!

My gut says: "pro life" I kind of hate that term LOL but my mind wants to say "You know it would still continue, lets be realistic" so make it as safe as possible.

There are of course the situations like rape, where one can wonder if forcing her to keep it is morally wrong. It was unasked for, unwanted, forced upon her...she would have to carry it, birth it (no walk in the park!) and either raise it or put it up for adoption, 100% due to an outside circumstance. In this scenario who knows the impact on adoption it would have.
Oh, also what about different stages of pregnancy? At the very undeveloped level is it permissible?
A sticky wicket that I honestly have no damn clue where I stand yet.

And yes, coming from someone who is secular and anti religious. Kind of scary how it has become almost divided as a religious/secular thing...given what is at hand I do hope it gets thought about and not just carried along! I used to go about it without thought being a good liberal...but I have a deep respect for all life (Ive been called a hippie too many times) so I never felt right being 100% dedicated to "pro choice"
GAH! I went on too long again

In an ideal world...make sure the support, education, and facilities will always be there so the number can be reduced to only the emergencies.

Keep it legal, safe and rare.
For my political run in the future Wink

You know, I actually agree with almost all of this! Smile Considering that abortions will occur no matter what, the best solution is to try and keep people educated and keep the procedure as safe as possible. I'm morally opposed to abortion (I couldn't ever imagine supporting someone I love getting an abortion), but I think it should probably be legal. My stance on the legal/illegal debate is fairly unstable... I just know that I don't support it, and I'd like to keep abortion to a minimum (by providing education, birth control, etc.).
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 3:18pm
To be honest, like most any subject, I'm not truly sure of my stance on the issue until I am directly affected by it.  Thus far, I haven't been pulled into a personal abortion debate.  However, abortion is legal in Canada, and I have no desire to change that law.  I guess that makes me pro-choice.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 4:13pm
I'm pro-killing unborn babies.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:57am
^Very subtle Colin, very subtleLOL
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 2:10am
honestly, i think that what people do to themselves or their unborn children is their business, and i really don't give a fuck about other peoples business and i don't see why other people do. 

im neither pro-life or pro-choice, im pro-WhoTheFuckCares, because i certainly dont 

Edited by SKwid - 24 May 2011 at 2:12am

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

honestly, i think that what people do to themselves or their unborn children is their business, and i really don't give a fuck about other peoples business and i don't see why other people do. 

im neither pro-life or pro-choice, im pro-WhoTheFuckCares, because i certainly dont 

I don't completely disagree with you (actually I do sorta agree), but under this same topic, should I not care about murder because it's none of my business? I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but I'm just wondering what your insight is here.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

should I not care about murder because it's none of my business?

Yep pretty much.  I live in this year's murder capital of Canada and yet as long as they don't shoot me I can't be arsed.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

There�s no need to bring a new life into this world if you are not able to take care of it. We have enough homeless, starving kids without parents or with parents that are not able to provide them with love and care in this world already. People against abortion usually have this standpoint out of a religious belief, but IMO that doesn�t qualify as a good reason. We are animals, and just because we have a more evolved brain than most animals do, we shouldn�t let morals or religious bogus get in the way of rational acts. If you can�t take care of your child for whatever reason, you shouldn�t have it!

My opinion of courseSmile.

You know the entire religious vs. secular debate when it comes to abortion really baffles me. LOL

Nowhere in the Bible does it even reference abortion... it seems odd to me that almost all Christians are opposed to abortion when this opposition isn't obtained through their religious text.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Yep pretty much.  I live in this year's murder capital of Canada and yet as long as they don't shoot me I can't be arsed.

So you don't care about law enforcement then?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:40pm
No comment Cool
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:41pm
^ You're even more of a libertarian than I am! LOL
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 3:22am

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

So you don't care about law enforcement then?

as an unrelated note, I would like to shoot in that when i was in a theater in York with the Lexicology class, we was offerd the upper seats, which was like the thrid balcony, and it was really far up, and me who have the worsed fear of hights ever, breathed heavyely, but as I noticed in the cealing of the theater was a HUGE light globe, light crone (something), and I was very happy I did not sit in the lower seats, and I said if that falls i am happy i sat this far upp,  Big smile

Edited by Balthamel - 25 May 2011 at 3:24am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 5:34pm
It is a sticky wicket, I also want to say as a man I kind of have to be pro choice because it's not even mine to make.
Unless I was in the unfortunate situation of  having my input asked.
It's just so complicated.
Stupid teen going around having sex because they can just abort it...a married couple who happened to have an accident (happens we know) but with jobs, a house, etc a young couple who had an accident and don't have the means to support one.

ugh...yeah my official opinion is still I have absolutely no fucking clue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic