Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Metallica - underwhelming?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Metallica - underwhelming?
    Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:39am
I know it's been out for a few days now, but I just got the second new Metallica track in my Release Radar on Spotify today. I thought Lux Aeterna was OK, but Screaming Suicide just seems boring. It feels too clean and sanitised, and sounds like tired old men going through the motions. At this stage, I'd even prefer the complete abortion that was St Anger. At least that made me feel strongly about the music, even if it was completely negative. This is just blah.

How's everyone else finding it?
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 11:34am
Just listened to them and I have similar feelings. These guys should have thrown in the towel by now.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Just listened to them and I have similar feelings. These guys should have thrown in the towel by now.

I'm all for them carrying on as a live band if they are still able to put on a decent show, but can they still? It's 25 years since I saw them live.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 11:47am
Metallica hasn't excited me as a going concern since the time I pretty much discovered them. I never bought Hardwired to Self-Destruct even though it was always on the back burner to do so, for completionist sake if nothing else; certainly didn't buy Lulu or ever intended to. Which means it would have been 2008 and Death Magnetic that I last bought anything Metallica related. 

I don't find the new songs released so far boring, but I do think they sound pretty safe. Tame. I wouldn't say that either of them is a full on thrash song though, so maybe that's why. But they somehow set a better first impression than other recent work. The sound feels a bit old school, like they've at least tried to make the album fans have likely wanted since 1991, but they forgot that most fans want a full on thrash metal Metallica album again. Even Lux Æterna comes across more as speed metal than actual thrash. 

If it were another band putting them out I might be less critical, but as it's the band who made albums such as Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, the effect is felt more. As things stand I think it's going to be listenable, just without staying power. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 12:16pm
Metallica has been underwhelming since the last great album AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

The black album was decent but a few steps down.

After that mediocrity really

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 1:45pm
I thought Lux Aeterna was good but this very average. I'll probably buy the album but not going to pay over £40 for the vinyl version (which I would prefer) which is what it's being advertised at on Amazon. The CD at quarter of the price will do.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 2:16pm
I liked Lux Aeterna... Screaming Suicide sounds tired (James voice sounds literally tired!). I will wait for the longer songs
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

I'm all for them carrying on as a live band if they are still able to put on a decent show, but can they still? It's 25 years since I saw them live.

I saw them 20 years ago and found the show boring, but then I saw them last year and I found that show brilliant, so yeah...they can still kick ass when they want to.

MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Metallica has been underwhelming since the last great album AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

The black album was decent but a few steps down.

After that mediocrity really

For many of us who embraced Metallica from day one AJFA seemed like "Master of Puppets - again!". 

I hated their move from thrash to hard rock with The Black Album, which I consider meh.  I give the band credit for actually trying different things over the years, even though I haven't liked any of it (well, very little of it.  There were moments here and there that were good but a lot of mediocrity IMO).  

I don't really do Spotify so can't comment on the new songs and frankly I don't have much energy to check them out bc the band hasn't been interesting to me in a long time.  
Check out my Rock and Roll Soap Box site on YouTube where I opine on various things rock: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJZ37mEgLpKzYvPbXcHQkg
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 9:36am
I thought Hardwired had a couple of really good songs on it, especially Moth Into Flame is one of their finest in a loooong time (I belong to the camp who finds a lot of virtue in the Load era as well). I also liked the first single off 72 Seasons, but if they think Screaming Suicide is a good one to get people sold on it then I'm worried what the rest of the album sounds like. Smack down in the middle of mediocrity, that one.
<- Click on this!
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 12:16pm
'Lux Aeterna': It's good-ish. There's a slight 'Kill 'Em All" feel to the main riff, which I like, but the lead guitar is a bit iffy.
'Screamin Suicide': It's decent, but the lead guitar is awful IMO, and tbe verses are a bit pedestrian.

If all the songs on the alvum are like those teo, then I might buy a download or a CD, but there's no way in hell that I'll pick up the overriced vinyl version.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 8:28am
Another one. I like it: 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic