Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Best of Year 2022 Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:50pm
Sorry all, haven't popped in here lately and hadn't seen this was happening. Should have known anyway but still.

I haven't really been keeping track of new releases too well lately, don't really have any record of what I've heard but I'll try to scrape a contribution together before the 17th. Might not be full length this year though.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 3:28pm
^ Every list helps at weight to the result, no matter how short so please do. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:04pm
The vote ends tomorrow (though in reality you'll have until Saturday morning) and I'll start compiling the results Saturday. I'll post in the voting thread when it's too late to make any further changes.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 11:42pm
Phew, I'd forgotten the whole thing and just by accident popped by today, so my list is in at the last possible moment.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 1:20am
I´m afraid my list isn´t as long as I wish it was, but the last couple of years have been rough in many departments, so I haven´t been able to prioritize listening to new releases much. I´ve had other priorities both IRL and in the choices I´ve made regarding listening material and writing reviews. I don´t think that´ll change again anytime soon. In regards to writing reviews I´ve come to the realization that I have to just follow whatever direction I´m taken in, which pleases my ears at the moment, and not plan too much that I have to listen to a certain number of new releases a year. I had a look on my listst from 2013 (which I believe was the first year that someone made an end of the year list here on MMA) and onwards, and in 2013 I reviewed 113 new releases, but that number has decreased significantly every year since.

I wish there were more hours in the day Tongue
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 12:19pm
I think this is the first year I don't have a full 30. Almost got there with 29, but didn't quite make it to the maximum in time. 

My problem is not a lack of time to listen to new music, it's that I don't end up properly appreciating the music I already have if I keep listening to new albums. There's only three artists on my list that I hadn't listened to previously and that's counting Kirk Hammett who I obviously know from Metallica. 

And I think there's only like four, maybe five releases on the entire list that I've heard more than once. 

And I only own three of them! 

I might have bought more, but getting albums on CD is getting bloody expensive these days and there seems little point when almost everything is on Spotify for free. Most of my CD collection is played digitally these days as well rather than using the actual disc, since I can't play discs in the car anymore and I gave up trying to find a CD player that actually worked for more than a couple of CDs before it started skipping them. 

Err, went off on a tangent there. Embarrassed

Point is, this is the first year of doing this where I feel little confidence in what I've voted for aside from the top two which are two of the three I've actually bought. 

I can't see 2023 being much different. While I do have a 2023 album on pre-order already, it'll probably be the first one of the year I hear, since I haven't heard a single 2023 release yet. 

I've actually listened to a lot of music this year so far, but it's almost all been enjoying the parts of my collection that are either the favourites or sat neglected for too long. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 2:52pm
 In my eternal quest for new music alongside new albums from familiar bands I never have a problem coming up with a top 30. Everything on my list I've bought, though last year I've bought less 2022 albums than all the previous years of the last decade at least, if not longer. With the higher prices I'm getting more selective and buying more CD's than vinyl which is getting ridiculously expensive. 

2023 is likely to be even fewer purchases no matter how good the year turns out to be.

Edited by Nightfly - 17 Feb 2023 at 2:54pm
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Phew, I'd forgotten the whole thing and just by accident popped by today, so my list is in at the last possible moment.

Better late than never. Thumbs Up
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 3:04pm
It's the first time I've ever had to actually edit a list because I had too many options.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 9:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic