Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Reviewer's Challenge Returns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMA Reviewer's Challenge Returns
    Posted: 22 May 2022 at 11:08am
The MMA Reviewer's Challenge will return in June 2022!

The challenge will be open to anyone who wishes to participate. 

The subject of the June 2022 Reviewer's Challenge is: Flourishing - The Sum of All Fossils.

The album may be streamed legally via Spotify or Bandcamp:

Review should be marked with the following heading to declare it part of the challenge:

Metal Music Archives Reviewer's Challenge: June 2022.

We look forward to reading all the different responses the album receives!

Edited by adg211288 - 31 May 2022 at 8:00am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 2:41pm
I'm in. Throwing Sick Of It All's Death to Tyrants into the mix.

Is also on YouTube for non-Spotify-ers.
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 2:50pm
Also in:

I'll add Flourishing - The Sum of All Fossils

https://open.spotify.com/album/1EUiti9poyVoYFH7Y5volg?si=CMo6heA6QfWQGsf_KTaTWg&utm_source=copy-link

Also on YouTube
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Got to just ask if this (and much of this band) is filed right on MMA. They seem to be tagged a hardcore punk act across their whole discography elsewhere, but I'm seeing alt and thrash tags on MMA. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Got to just ask if this (and much of this band) is filed right on MMA. They seem to be tagged a hardcore punk act across their whole discography elsewhere, but I'm seeing alt and thrash tags on MMA. 

It needs a bit of attention, which I didn't realise until I looked it up, but hadn't checked the genre tags. And no, not thrash metal. I'll fix it later.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 3:19pm
Any others fancy taking a punt on this?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 4:04am
You'd don't have to be taking part to throw an album into the hat to be the subject of this challenge. Just want to reiterate that.

I'm removing the limit of one suggestion per person though. Lets say you can suggest up to three now. 

I'm going to also throw in Anubis Gate's Covered in Colours, mostly because I ignored it for so long as a covers album and I was surprised by what they did with it when I finally (recently) checked it out. 
GG2U

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:50am
Here, I will add some albums:

Issues' Headspace: https://open.spotify.com/album/12C1vD98wJEXUa0ro3614h?si=1eLdWYcOTJu_sKL7EsNrdw

Vola's Witness: https://open.spotify.com/album/3FVRmhZVaZfLvqHupMbJ6V?si=io2cUQkwTWWMMJs2m8ho1g

Cormorant's Diaspora: https://open.spotify.com/album/78UYJ2TOSsYp4FyMp3gFFy?si=dbim6RiCTLC1D3SrLXtWFw

Edited by Tupan - 27 May 2022 at 7:54am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 9:36pm
I'll throw in a couple more:

Wake Me When It's Over - Faster Pussycat https://open.spotify.com/album/37X0TI6pz7fSg2aUREHzys?si=ZW2IzYUNTfC7zRscVANU6w

Cunt - Blood Duster https://open.spotify.com/album/2sSpGQRDtfPiKsvBizP03y?si=UzBpd0HmQ-m5ubfAVgu_YA
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 10:03pm
I'll offer up an obscure, hard edged power metal album I love but never reviewed myself, and I'm the only person currently rating it:

Pertness - Frozen Time https://open.spotify.com/album/7CO4mREUd9Veu3miEnUuzl

(And yeah, I'll participate in this as well. The one potential hangup is I may be working on a promo review at the same time, but if I have two weeks to get this one done, I should have no trouble fitting it in.)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 7:55am
Okay folks since we now have a pool of ten albums (a fair amount), I've decided to do the draw a day early so you can all get stuck in with coming up with reviews right away. Out off the ten albums put forward the randomiser has selected the subject of this reviewer's challenge as: 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 10:59am
Just to confirm, in the event that we run another Reviewer's Challenge later in the year (depends on how this one goes), we're not keeping the same list of candidates (we typically changed the format around per challenge before), so feel free to review anything else on the list (including while the challenge is running) if you were going to. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 4:29am
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 4:43am
I'll get one in for this when I get chance. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 8:38am
I had a bunch of promos come in literally the same day this started, so I might take a while, lol I'm aiming to get mine done sometime this weekend, but I won't rush it. I have already heard the album a few times, though, it's just a matter of finding the time to write the review.

Edit: Actually, I think my review is likely to be very similar to Adam's, lol

Edited by DippoMagoo - 06 Jun 2022 at 8:40am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 11:12am
I was saying the first two weeks of June to do this in, but that can easily be extended to the whole of June if people want more time. I only put a deadline in as I want to write a little summary piece of all the submissions to officially close the challenge. It doesn't matter though if I do that on June 15th or July 1st. 

If we do another challenge later in the year, perhaps in August (with sign-ups through July), I intend to alter the format. I'm thinking album suggestions which are then randomised between people who put their name down, with the added caveat that they won't be selected their own nomination. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:13pm
Finally managed to get into the right headspace to do this.Smile Normally it wouldn't be a problem for me, because I reckon I can write something about anything. After all, I used to do that for a job. However, I'm not far off five months straight working from home, and last thing I feel like doing after 8 hours technical writing a day is to write some more. Glad I finally got around to it.

Sometimes with these challenges I think "ah fuck, what's this shit?" with the choices, and I'm usually proved wrong and end up enjoying the album to some extent. Through a previous challenge I discovered Panopticon, which is a band (if one guy counts as a band...) I love to this day. Flourishing is in the same league as that. Thus is a fucking amazing album I wouldn't have discovered on my own.Thumbs Up
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 3:16am
I posted mine a few days ago and see that Patrick has posted his this morning. Going by the reviews and Travis' comments above, opinions seem pretty evenly spread so far.

Adam, I like your idea of not being selected to review your own suggestion as I struggled to write about Flourishing in this setting even though I'm familiar with them. I also had it rated as a 5 prior to reviewing but knocked half a star off when reviewing and now not totally sure why that was
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 10:08am
My review should be up sometime tomorrow, I'm just giving it a final listen now to see if anything changes for me, then I'll start fully sorting my thoughts out and get to writing the review early tomorrow.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 11:35pm
And, done: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/the-sum-of-all-fossils/786168  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic