MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folk Metal Discussion and Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folk Metal Discussion and Appreciation
    Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 2:56pm
Noticed there isn't an awful lot of love for folk metal around here, we have the folk metal suggestions thread in the recommendations forum, but I couldn't find anything in the appreciation section. Cry

So I thought as I'm currently the only folk team member I'd be the one to step in here and get the folk metal talk going. 

So yeah, basically talk about what ever you like in regard to folk metal. So to start off the discussion...

Personally I'm so far finding that the folk metal bands this year are delivering some of the best albums I've heard, with really excellent releases by Wolfchant, Cruachan, Crimfall, and Turisas (though I consider their new one more symphonic influenced than folk) and also some pretty strong efforts from Falkenbach and Dolmen

I'm also looking forward to new releases from Аркона, Midnattsol and Alestorm.

Anyone else got any folk metal favourites from this year, or anything you're looking forward to? 

To close this post off, I'll share some YouTube stuff from the 2011 folk metal album's I've enjoyed so far.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 9:04am
Great initiative Adam. I�ll make this one a sticky, like the other sub genre appreciation threads in this part of the forum.
Batnobbit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batnobbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 5:33pm
NOTE: I got an error message when I editied the last post, I will fix the links later today :)

I fucking love Folk Metal, here are some personal favorites.

Isengard, which is a one man project by the legendary Fenriz (Dakrthrone), who made Folk in the 90's. After this album he joined/Formed a band called "Storm", with Satyr.
Isengard - Neslepaks, from the classic "H�stm�rke".

Finntroll is one of my favorite bands of all time. With a story equally dramatic to Mayhem, they continue venturing forth. There are in a way three eras here, since they have had 3 different vocalists. The first era were really "humpa" inspired but at the same time, had a great atmosphere. The second era, if you can call it that was the album Nattfodd. More "Sing-a-long", and it's perhaps one of the best party albums in Metal. I personally like the last Era best, since it's more black Metal.
Finntroll - Nedgang, from the "Black Metal era" and from the underrated album "Ur Jordens Djup".

Ensiferum is also a really good folk band which flirts a lot with Melodic Deathmetal. Sort of a hybrid, but who cares? The old vocalist, jaari or something, I'm really tired and don't bother googling it, is the man behind the legendary band called "Wintersun".
Ensiferum - Lai Lai Hei, from the epic album "Iron".

Windir is sadly dead (the mastermind behind it passed away in 2004), but their legacy lives on. A, in my opinion, perfect mixture between Melodic Black and Folk. Every album is really memorable and it's worth a listening, personal favorites are the albums "Arntnor" and "1184"
Windir - Todeswalzer, from "1184"

And last but not least, Faanefjell. A fairly new band from the new label "Mayhem Music" (Horizon Ablaze, Zerozonic). You can hear elements from both Finntroll, Windir and Isengard, making their concept album "Trollmarsj" an intressting piece of music.
Faanefjell - Det Var en Gang ett Troll (intro to the album) and "Faanetrollets vise" from their only album "Trollmarsj".

I hope you will find something new music or at least get reminded of how great folk are. I apologize for the grammar mistakes because I'm really tired and I'm, you know, Norwegian.

Edited by Batnobbit - 26 May 2011 at 5:09am
Efreeti
http://www.facebook.com/EfreetiBand
Fool Killers
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fool-Killers/189060934455407
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 11:36am
I used to listen to lots of Korpiklaani, Eluveitie etc but about the only folk metal band I still listen to is Finntroll.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:33pm
The brazilian band Tuatha de Danann is highly recommended!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 4:45am
Personally for folk metal I don't think you can beat Cruachan (http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan.aspx) and Аркона (aka Arkona) (http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona(russia).aspx).

Cruachan (early):

Cruachan (mid-career):

Cruachan (recent):

Аркона:

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:12pm
GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 7:22pm

Bowdown
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 2:31am
^ I've been meaning to check that band out properly for a long time. 
GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 1:29pm
Make sure you have plenty of time set aside to listen to Sagas.  It's freaking 79 minutes long.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 1:31pm
If it's decent that length will seem to fly by. ;), like with Аркона's Гой, Роде, Гой! album.
GG2U

BuryTheLiving13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuryTheLiving13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:39pm
:D ALESTORM!!!!!!! I FUCKING LOVE THEM! They are so unique! :D
I love Wednesday 13 (Murderdolls, Wednesday 13, Frankenstein Drag Queens From Planet 13, Maniac Spider Trash)
& Black Metal including: Burzum, Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Marduk etc. (Mostly True Norwegian)
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 7:24am
where did I see that avatar of yours before? Ermm
BuryTheLiving13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuryTheLiving13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 8:38pm
Ahh yeah i made another account cause i lost my password XD
yeah but it is me Smile
I love Wednesday 13 (Murderdolls, Wednesday 13, Frankenstein Drag Queens From Planet 13, Maniac Spider Trash)
& Black Metal including: Burzum, Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Marduk etc. (Mostly True Norwegian)
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Bowdown

That is an awesome album cover, I'll have to check it out, along with a lot of other folk metal stuff.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 4:56pm
Nice to see folk finally getting some attention around here. Thumbs Up

Good thing, the folk metal sub is in desperate need of some ratings: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/folk-metal(subgenre).aspx#top-albums
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 9:44am
Hey Adam, check out that band if you haven't done that yet - it's a pagan folk metal with Slavic and Celtic elements.

I kinda like it so you, as a folk metal fan, should love it Smile

Oh and I forgot to add that they're on Spotify.

Edited by bartosso - 19 Nov 2011 at 9:45am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 9:48am
Looks interesting, thanks. Beer
GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:42pm
I'm sure you've all heard of these guys:

goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 12:03pm
Whoever likes Alestorm might also like these:

Edited by goskoski - 29 Nov 2011 at 12:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic