Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unpopular Metal Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Unpopular opinon 1: I like Judas Priest's cover version of 'Johnny B. Goode'

Me too.

Unpopular opinion 2: The two Ripper-fronted albums are quite good - they're even better than a couple of Halford-fronted ones.

I quite like Jugulator, however I've not been able to really get into Demolition. Granted I own the former but not the latter thus have spent more time with it. 

Unpopular opinion 5: It's okay to like glam AND thrash metal.

Probably not un unpopular opinion here since we're an open-minded bunch, but for the wider metal world I'll second that one. That said, never have been grabbed by glam metal myself. 

Unpopular opinion 7: I'm not really a Cannibal Corpse fan (don't dislike them, just never really got interested in them)

Same. Tried a couple of times, with each vocalist. Never really dug them. 

Unpopular opinion 9: Manowar became a joke decades ago, and I have no interest in them anymore.

Wasn't Manowar always a bit of a joke? Wink

Unpopular opinion 10: There's no such thing as true metal or false metal

Quite right. 

Unpopular opinion 11: 'St. Anger' isn't that bad.

It was my gateway to metal album, so I'll always have a fondness for it. And no it really isn't that bad, but it does have some glaring problems. 

Unpopular opinion 12: I like the four last Death albums better than the first three ines (but I do like the first three ones).

I think I'd agree, though I have a special liking for Leprosy. It was also the first straight death metal album I bought. 

Unpopular opinion 13: Elitism and gatekeeping in metal is stupid, and there should be just as much room for, say, people of color, women, trans people, and gay people as there is for sweaty white guys in the metal fan community, and it's really annoying that a lot of metal elitists have injected talking points from the American culture wars into their gatekeeping. Fuck those assholes!

Agreed, but I think overall metal is very accepting. Don't forget that the singer of one of metal's most famous bands just happens to be gay. I also know of quite a few bands with black members, or trans people and there are more women playing (and into) metal than ever. 

Unpopular opinion 14: While not a big fan of these genres, they're still metal: nu metal, alternative metal, metalcore, deathcore and gothic metal.

Preaching to the choir on this site, Kim. I'm not sure gothic metal has ever been up for debate the way those others have though. 

Unpopular opinion 15: Some of the Tony Marting fronted Sabbath albums are better than some of the Ozzy fronted ones.

I'm quite neglectful where Sabbath is concerned. I haven't even heard all the Ozzy or Dio fronted ones. Never a Martin one. However he has worked with Arjen Lucassen a couple of times and he's good. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:42pm
I'm adding a couple of mine from when this thread was first active:

Building off one of Kim's: Tim Owens was a fine singer for Iced Earth, just very different to Matt Barlow. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Also one of the worst things Iced Earth ever did was swapping singer back to Barlow in the middle of the Something Wicked duo, especially since they never made good on re-doing part 1 with Matt for continuity. But the first one was better anyway, so maybe that's just as well. 

There are more fantastic female singers in modern metal bands than there are male. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic