MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Big 4's Most Recent Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which Big 4 band made the best most recent album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [20.00%]
5 [50.00%]
3 [30.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Big 4's Most Recent Albums
    Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 2:50am
AN update of a ten year old out of date poll I stumbled across this morning while searching the MMA forums. 

Which Big 4 thrash band made the best among their most recent albums (final in the case of Slayer unless they reform). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 3:57am
I rate three of these highly. I probably listen to Dystopia most.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:11am
Personally I'm going to have to abstain from this as I've only heard Metallica's. 

I keep telling myself it's time to explore Megadeth in full (I have a few releases I've picked up used over the years and heard one or two others, but I far from know the band's music well). 

I also only have very limited experience of Anthrax.

Most people here probably know how I feel about Slayer. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:32am
Slayer isn't reforming.

The Metallica album is awful. The other three aren't instant classic, but they all grow on you.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:32am
None are particularly favourites but I guess Megadeth.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:09am
Tied between Hardwired and Dystopia, went with Hardwired.

For All Kings is good too, but I feel it was a step down from Worship Music which is one of the best metal albums of the last decade.

Repentless is okay, but not really memorable.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:26am
Not really big on any of those... I'd rather listen to the latest Mr Bungle w/ Scott Ian Tongue

imo thrash metal has really suffered from the industry-wide move to digital modelling, I haven't liked the production on a big label thrash album since ~Formation of the Damnation or Atrocity...Exhibit A
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 1:30pm
Although I´m a giant Slayer fanboy, I have to go with Megadeth in this poll. I actually semi-enjoyed the Metallica album, and I haven´t yet listened to the Anthrax album, but I´ve never been much of an Anthrax fan, so it would surprise me if this particular album won me over.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

imo thrash metal has really suffered from the industry-wide move to digital modelling, I haven't liked the production on a big label thrash album since ~Formation of the Damnation or Atrocity...Exhibit A

I agree, the production on mainstream metal label stuff sucks and it's only this decade where metal is finally starting get out of the rut all the labels put them in. In certain instances though if the songwriting is strong enough I can tolerate it, which is the case with Megadeth Dystopia, mediocre production but it has some of their strongest recent songwriting imo.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Not really big on any of those... I'd rather listen to the latest Mr Bungle w/ Scott Ian Tongue

That Mr Bungle album outstrips all of these.Wink

A lot of bands are getting tired of the way things sound so same-y now too. Try Acid Reign's The Age of Entitlement, where they deliberately went out of their way to sound different, and it fucking shows.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:30pm
Gonna give all 4 of these a listen tonight, you'll have my answer in a couple hours.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 11:27am
Had to go w/ Megadeth. Anthrax was a close second though!
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 12:47pm
Metallica. It's certainly far from their best work (I haven't given any of their albums more than 4 stars since AJFA, which ironically is also my favorite by them), but I still enjoy it from start to finish, with about 5 or 6 tracks I absolutely love. The Anthrax album is solid, but drags a bit in the middle and I find in general I like but don't love most of their stuff, while Slayer was amazing back in the day but I've never liked their more recent stuff too much, and Megadeth I just never cared for at all, because I can't stand Dave Mustaine's vocals, lol
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 1:24am
^My brother hates Dave´s vocals too and have never been able to appreciate Megadeth, so you´re not the only one LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 3:19am
Dave's voice is where I struggle as well. I don't hate him. I generally enjoy the few Megadeth albums I own or have heard. But I think it is what's stopped me from ever coming to love the band. 

Vocals are usually the main deal breaker in a band for me. 

I'm determined to go through Megadeth's entire discography in order sometime though.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 4:32am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'm determined to go through Megadeth's entire discography in order sometime though.

That can be quite an ordeal.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 4:45am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

That can be quite an ordeal.

I expect other bands will be played in between the albums.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 24 Apr 2022 at 11:07am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 8:00am
 I liked all 4 of those albums enough to buy them. I'm on the fence between Megadeth and Slayer.... I'll go with Slayer.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 11:07am

Dave's voice is where I struggle as well. I don't hate him. I generally enjoy the few Megadeth albums I own or have heard. But I think it is what's stopped me from ever coming to love the band. 

Yeah, good luck with that, especially if you don't like Mustaine's vocals  LOL My attempted full discography run of all big four bands got wrecked, pretty much because I didn't wanna hear any more Megadeth at the time, lol Risk and the World Needs A Hero are especially going to be tough for anyone to sit through.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that, especially if you don't like Mustaine's vocals  LOL My attempted full discography run of all big four bands got wrecked, pretty much because I didn't wanna hear any more Megadeth at the time, lol Risk and the World Needs A Hero are especially going to be tough for anyone to sit through.

There's probably a reason why previous attempts to do this have been aborted pretty quick.

That said, I stuck the debut on this evening and it went alright. I don't find it a remarkable release in any way, but nothing untoward either, except for the sound quality on my disc. It's so damn quiet!
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic