Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Late Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Late Albums
    Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 12:50am
Inspired by a comment Patrick made in 'Odd Choices For An Artist's Best Album':

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

When you look at the massive influence the band had it's always seemed To Mega Therion or Into The Pandemonium, or even Morbid Tales were very important. The biggest oddity was probably this band producing this album so long after their supposed heyday.

What's a late in their career album from an artist that was much stronger than you expected? Perhaps not the best the artist ever made (but it might be), but certainly one that was better than you felt it had any right to be. There's a general expectation that any artist will do their best work when they're young and new on the scene. But who aged like a fine wine?

For me, the most obvious answer is Judas Priest with Painkiller. Their 12th studio album. 

Also Helloween's latest self-titled is at the very least their best in ten years and maybe overall. But be some nostalgia factor with both Hansen and Kiske back in the band, but even so. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 1:29am
A couple spring to mind from big bands who released (in my opinion at least) cracking albums late on -

Anthrax - For All Kings (album 12)
Megadeth -  Dystopia (album 15)
Saxon - Thunderbolt (album 23)

You could throw in others like Maiden etc. I guess these are all more examples of bands consistently delivering over a long time (with a few duffers thrown in) than bands that faded from memory and then came back with a whopper. Even Priest continues to release some powerful albums, even if they are not as renowned or influential as Painkiller.

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 2:27am
The God-Shaped Void by Psychotic Waltz comes to mind. I loved their debut but all their albums afterwords seemed to pale in comparison to it. So it was a surprise when The God-Shaped Void came out, that, not only did I like it, it surpassed the debut.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

You could throw in others like Maiden etc. 

I could happily name drop Brave New World for Iron Maiden. Since then though they've been extremely consistent. It was more unexpected how lukewarmly Senjutsu was received. 

Edited by adg211288 - 21 Apr 2022 at 2:40am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 4:23am
After the Celtic Frost example, there are a few more I can think of:

Possessed - Revelations of Oblivion
Sacred Reich - Awakening
Acid Reign - The Age of Entitlement
Exhorder - Mourn the Southern Skies
Lawnmower Deth - Blunt Cutters
D.R.I. - But Wait... There's More! (a bit of a cheat because it's an E.P.)
Exodus - Persona Non Grata
Carcass - Torn Arteries

I don't know if I should include Napalm Death, because they have always released strong albums all the way through their career, but to me Throes of Joy in the Jaws of Defeatism was absolutely outstanding!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 10:02am
Burzum - Belus
Sleep - The Sciences

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 11:03am
Korn - The Nothing
Megadeth - United Abominations (I would say Dystopia, but it's already been mentioned)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love
Metallica - Hardwired
Helstar - This Wicked Nest
Clutch - Psychic Warfare
Overkill - The Grinding Wheel
Loudness - Terror
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 12:16pm
Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind
Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire
Deftones - Ohms
Sepultura - Quadra

Like Patrick, not sure if I should include the following due to the commendable consistency of these bands but all these later career albums are excellent:

Gorguts - Colored Sands
Immolation - Atonement
Ulcerate - Stare Into Death and Be Still
Meshuggah - Immutable (wasn't convinced at first but it has grown on me significantly over the past weeks)

Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic