Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Misunderstood Metal Genre? Why?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Misunderstood Metal Genre? Why?
    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 2:30am
Which sub-genre, in your opinion, is metal's most misunderstood sub-genre?

I guess a lot of people who like such genres more than most are going to jump to the likes of metalcore, deathcore and its variants, or even to nu metal, but I'm going to put forward power metal as the sub-genre that gets misunderstood the most. 

While power metal is perhaps more accepted as a 'main' sub-genre of metal and doesn't have the same kind of 'that's not true metal!' detractors as other sub-genres, the amount of times in my years listening to metal that some random internet stranger has jumped on the opportunity to fire shots at power metal that range from passive-aggressive to unveiled hostility. 

And I really don't get why. Sure, power metal has some extremely melodic bands that can come over as cheesy. There's a definite penchant for themes of fantasy too. Know what else also has that? Traditional heavy metal, where it all started. 

Power metal (either strain of the genre) is at heart a souped up version of traditional metal (via speed metal in the case of the European style). Often faster, harder hitting and yes, more melodic. And it's closest cousin is actually thrash metal, which many seem to consider the best genre of metal. Even outside of the USPM style, there are Euro style bands that are harder hitting, especially those from Germany. But when people diss power metal, they tend to diss all of power metal as if none of those bands ever existed. 

Okay, your turn. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 3:20am
Good question. I guess it depends on what confused means and whether it's hostility to an element of the sub-genre or a general inability to understand it that's the question. I'll leave metalcore and its derivatives alone although you probably can't get more misunderstood or derided than nintendocore LOL

Trance metal is generally met with a degree of confusion, by me as much as anyone. Maybe its the bands who mix j-pop and thrash which challenge people's view on whether it really is metal. Of course it is. Not my thing, but I'm probably not the target demographic for it.

Sludge strangely causes an element of confusion for some. I've seen plenty of reviews of doom metal releases that are a little more upbeat than usual from the artist and have been proclaimed as x-goes-sludge. We probably have some here labelled as sludge wrongly. Doom is obviously at the heart of sludge metal but so is the combination with hardcore, and without that punk element, it really isn't sludge. The progenitors of sludge were hardcore (and its metal variants) bands incorporating doom elements to make the sound darker and more menacing (although it can work the other way obviously with doom bands incorporating hardcore elements to increase the aggression maybe). A similar confusion exists between sludge and stoner. 

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 11:07am
Nu Metal easily.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people make blanket statements like "All nu metal bands just ripped off Korn" or "They just all sound like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park", any variation of it all sounds the same, or thinking it's all rap metal. First off, all those three bands sound nothing alike, which already cancels out all of those statements.

There is not another metal genre where I've heard more experimentation and willingness to utilize a multitude of musical styles inside and outside of metal. Nu metal follows in the footsteps of Faith No More and Mr. Bungle where there essentially aren't any boundaries as to what kind of music you can and can't use. Sure, there's some nu metal bands that sound similar to others, there's no genre where every band is completely unique, but it's rare to not hear at least something new or different in a band or at least a song. If you like mathcore and math rock, there's Candiria and Mudvayne. If you like abstract hip hop, there's Powerman 5000. If you like Latin jazz, there's Puya. If you like post-rock and post-metal, there's Limp Bizkit's first album. If you like Romanian folk music, there's Dirty Shirt. If you like techno, breakbeat, drum and bass and other electronic styles there's basically every Russian nu metal band. If you like reggae, there's Skindred. The list could go on and on.

Most people don't even give it a fair chance or bother trying to understand it by going beyond just a few popular bands they heard once and didn't like. In fact, to anyone who would say they either don't or won't like nu metal at all, I bet I could find at least one song you'd at least find interesting based on your tastes. 

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Trance metal is generally met with a degree of confusion, by me as much as anyone. Maybe its the bands who mix j-pop and thrash which challenge people's view on whether it really is metal. Of course it is. Not my thing, but I'm probably not the target demographic for it.

I don't know if trance metal bands understand trance metal. I've only heard a couple bands labeled such that actually make use of trance music. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 10:40am
I don't think any metal genre is misunderstood these days. Everything is labeled fairly well to peg it into a category. What do you mean by misunderstood?

I don't think nu metal is misunderstood at all. Many people just don't like it!
It's not my favorite either but i do like some bands.

Trance metal isn't even metal a lot of the time. Many of the bands on MMA have no guitar and it's really just ramped up electronic music. Not even sure why they are on here but not really interested in exploring further.

The only metal i can honestly say is misunderstood is the more complex and avant-garde style that requires a lot of patience and musical understanding to be able to comprehend where a band is coming from. Some metal is just too complex and overtly twisted for many to wrap their heads around. Some of it is thrown into prog metal, some avant, tech death, tech thrash etc
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 5:09am
Black Metal is sometimes (perhaps not often) misunderstood by some who think it is all raw, lo-fi stuff without a shred of credibility. 

US Power Metal seems to often be misunderstood as well. But that might be more of an RYM thing. 

Maybe Viking Metal as well, but that may be more of an argument for being poorly defined as a genre in the first place. Could say that about a few genre names that get floated around actually. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 8:36am
^ i agree with viking metal. it's basically black folk metal.

war metal is another BS sub but universally accepted. it's really just deathened black metal as opposed to blackened death metal.

i guess there is confusion between tech death and prog death sometimes

speed metal also gets lots between heavy metal and thrash
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 11:38am
I think badly defined genre labels is a whole other topic. LOL

People do feel a need to pigeonhole everything to the tiniest specific detail. 

If it were up to me, the entire definition of what counts as every genre would be rewritten. I can almost guarantee what I'd come up with would make a lot more sense than what it's naturally developed as (which is kind of a mess). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic