MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Average rating bug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Average rating bug
    Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 12:59pm
It seems to be working now.  It looks like that was the problem.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 11:40am
I have force a re-sync of all albums and the TOP LIST changed a bit, so many albums needed an update.

Please comments.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:29am
Sometimes when members delete or update their ratings of this albums the site lost the 'sync' of the average ratings of this and when a new member rate it, it force a re-sync of the avg. ratings of the album.

Anyway i'll have a check to make sure.

Edited by m@x - 05 Jun 2011 at 8:29am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 2:24am
I�ve PMd Max.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 9:12pm
That does sound broken...
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:39pm
Confused

Nothing like this has happened on PA, so I'm rather confused...  Angra's album, Temple of Shadows
( http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/angra--temple-of-shadows.aspx ) had a rating of 4.12.  I gave a rating only of 4 stars then the weighted average jumped to 4.37.

Is this messed up?  I would expect it to not change at all, or to drop .01 not to jump .25 ...

Maybe it's just a delay in the weighted average appearing for my username?

Edited by E�rendil - 04 Jun 2011 at 7:43pm
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:50am
Those new emoticons are pretty horrid, and while no one took me seriously...I was trying to make a legit point.
I might start drug threads again like the good ol days...they better not think of messing with em, man Smoke
And fail at life? Can't believe it.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

if you honestly care enough

Not really, I'm never going to be rating anything myself here anyway. It's just the principle, but I'm not going to waste time with personal appeals. My futile effort is better spent complaining about the new emoticons. 

Also, I thought you were still on break from the internet???

Too much fail. 

Edited by Henry Plainview - 23 Apr 2011 at 11:52pm

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 11:45pm
Also, I thought you were still on break from the internet???

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

According to Phil, (and I'm pretty sure he'd know LOL) collabs get the 20X weight, review or rating only.
So yeah, I'll leave the math to you guys but that is the case. Guess another perk of collabhood.

Ok, well then why is it like that on MMA but not PA? It used to be like that on PA, but Max changed it because it's a terrible idea, so why go backwards? 

OK, well it is?
Not sure why you have to do this, besides the fact you are Henry...if you honestly care enough (I'm sure you do) than PM an admin and inquire about it and ask to have it changed. Might not result in anything but complaining here certainly won't do much.

Not like everything has to be the same anyway...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 11:41pm

According to Phil, (and I'm pretty sure he'd know LOL) collabs get the 20X weight, review or rating only.
So yeah, I'll leave the math to you guys but that is the case. Guess another perk of collabhood.

Ok, well then why is it like that on MMA but not PA? It used to be like that on PA, but Max changed it because it's a terrible idea, so why go backwards? 

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:45pm
So yeah, I'll leave the math to you guys but that is the case. Guess another perk of collabhood!

Of course Henry wouldn't know because he came to MMA, I assume, just to flood us with poniesTongue

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 13 Apr 2011 at 9:45pm

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:07am
If collab rating only is actually worth 20x, then those averages are actually working out correctly right now, despite consistently higher ratings for Obscura and more collab reviews/ratings than Entombed. Doesn't seem right, but I guess you can't argue against the maths. So now that's cleared up I'm doubting there is a bug with the average ratings after all.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 4:02am
Wait, is the issue that collab ratings without review are getting the 20X weighting?

I was wondering about that myself a while back
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1454

I took Jonas' advice and PM'd Phil and this was his exact response to me

"It doesn't matter for you because you are a collaborator and the weight for rating only and full text reviews are the same.

For normal user, the weight of a rating only will be ajusted if the user transformed it to a text review (100+ words)."

So if the the problem is collab rating onlys are getting full weight, it seems like for collabs the 20X weight is used regardless of review or not.

edit: it is 5 am I dont care for math....so if there is an actual bug with the rating system itself please have it looked into. The collab weighting for non reviews though is not an issue.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 13 Apr 2011 at 4:14am

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I�ve always had trouble with the math, so educate me here. Is there a problem that needs to be reported or not?

Yes, it appears that some (perhaps even all) collab ratings are receiving the 20x weight even though there is no review. Only the collab reviews should be weighted 20x, everybody's rating without a review is supposed to be equal (1x). 

(Sorry to repeat but I thought adg's explanation was not very clear)

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 6:02am
I�ll PM Phil and have him have a look at this thread and see what he thinks.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 6:01am
I'd say yes because going back to the two albums I posted about originally, Obscura's album has 4 collab reviews which should have 20x rating weight each, whereas the Entombed album has no reviews at all, yet clearly has a higher weight rating/placement on the list.
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 5:24am
I�ve always had trouble with the math, so educate me here. Is there a problem that needs to be reported or not?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 4:56am
Ok, I understand it better now. Thank you Henry.
GG2U

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 4:41am
^^^THIS!
GLAM METAL!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic