MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poll: Best artist from the Netherlands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which is the best Dutch artist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [31.11%]
2 [4.44%]
6 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
11 [24.44%]
12 [26.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 3:07pm
Other for me - the stunning Exivious. Their debut album was one my personal Top 10 releases for 2009.
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsms810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:00am
Close, gotta go for Ayreon for human equation
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:30am
From the list, I go with Epica !
mosefus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosefus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 2:31pm
God Dethroned for me, hands down.
Aggressive and tuneful.
Quality death / thrash from the Low Country.
http://www.smellthecult.com
http://www.smellthecult.blogspot.com

Keep it metal and ye shall be wise
slow man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slow man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 5:41am
Other, it's a choice between Picture,Vengeance and Pestilence. It's gonna be Picture for their classic Diamond dreamer album.
slow man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slow man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 5:47am
excuse me,something went wrong.

Edited by slow man - 11 Apr 2010 at 5:54am
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:13am
Ayreon is, hands down, the best band listed here. However, there are some absences that are also awesome (mainly in the metal-fusion): Exivious and Pestilence.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:18am
Exivious ruleClap!
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Exivious ruleClap!

They really do.
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:01pm
The Pessimist View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:22pm
I'm gonna agree with the above and vote Other - Pestilence. Spheres wipes the floor with any album by any of these artists in my opinion.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:54pm
This is not a prog website and the thread starter specifically asked for metal Dutch bands... Please refrain of posting videos of non-metal bands or this thread will go to General Discussion. But that wasn't the OP's  original idea, so out of respect for him, I'll delete any more non-metal videos here. 

Edited by The T 666 - 13 Apr 2010 at 5:54pm
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolutionary Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 6:44pm
Textures for me.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 2:25pm
I was torn between Ayreon and The Gathering.........Ayreon.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 3:58am
Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

Ayreon gets my vote. Smile

I very much like The Gathering's album "How to Measure a Planet?" though.

On another note, it's interesting to me how the country of China has a population of 1.34 billion people, yet I'm not familiar with any Chinese artists (non-metal artists included); and how the country of the Netherlands only has 0.02 billion, yet I'm familiar with all of the Dutch artists in this poll and more (Autumn, Dial, Stream of Passion). Considering China's very large population, it seems like there would be a large number of artists in the country.

Damn! Too hard to Vote!
But from the "List", in order:
1. Ayreon -Arjen and all his side Bands are excellent, he has alot of talent and he seems like a great guy, if anyone has seen any of the "Making of..." Vids of his Bands, you'll see not one bad experience from the wide variety of Performers, Singers, Musicians. If I were in a Band, I'd be more than glad to record with him.
2. The Gathering -I became a LATE Fan.  My first album was "How to Measure a Planet", and I was okay with them at the time but, I then got a Promo of "If_then_else" and it sat on my shelf for 3 years!  Then a local AOR Radio (KLOS) DJ had a show called "Headsets", basically music to put headphones to (full of sound FX and music entertwined) and he played 2 Tracks from that Gathering album, and was blown away, I then would listen to that album almost everyday.  I went backwards in their catalogue and been a fan since.  I have not heard the newest album without "Anneke".
I have to say the next ones I have been getting into for the past 2 Years. Years ago I couldnt get into the
"Operetic/Dark-Wave Metal" but it has grown on me because the Singers (Male and Female) are fantasically trained and the music is a wide variety of Metal, Prog and Neo-Classical.
3. After Forever -I love Jensens voice, she can be Rough, Strong, and Operetic, and the music varies from, Aggressive Metal, Neo-Classical and Gothic. And like the other "Femme" vocalists, damn gorgeous!
4. Epica -Really just getting into them and I  like everything I'm hearing.  Simone has a wonderful voice and that Redhair kills me, lots of "Cookie Vocals" from Simones Husband and Lead Guitarist too!
5. Within Temptation -Just getting into them as well but I notice I like their later stuff, heavier and matured.
Sharon Den Adel has a voice like glass, and her look . . . wow.

But heres where I lean, Other:
1. Lemur Voice -only 2 albums in the 90's and they kick ass!, Netherlands answer to Dream Theater. Tight, complex, melodic, esoteric Lyrics, a unique and powerful voice of  Vocalist Gregoor Van Der Loo musicianship of the highest order.  Marcel Coenen-Guitarist extraordinaire would years later form...
2. Suncaged -The heavier version of Lemur, different line-up but every musician solid, my favorite album
is their official 1st release with Andre Vuurboom on vocals and Joost Van Der Broke on Keyboards, (Joost, also infamous with Arjen on 2 Aryeon albums). Andres vocals are really incredible. Next albums are really good as well.  But Andre and Joost then sadly leave (after debut) and form...
3. Sphere of Souls -Really great Prog Metal in the same vien, only not as good production quality, but I am looking forward to a 2nd album (Hurray up guys!).
4. Pestilence -Early Nederland Death Metal!!! Was a huge fan of their "Conuming Impulse" and "Mallues
Maleficarum" albums.  Now I'm a Tech-Thrash/Math/Death Metal fan, but I really did not like "Spheres" and "Testimony of the Ancients", because they toned down the Guitars and the Keyboard sound they use totally annoy me (Believe me, these ears usually get used to stuff like that but man...).
I am looking forward in getting a copy of their latest Big smile.
5. Bodine -Early NWoNHM? Really good Heavy Metal Band that featured Arjen Luccasen on Lead Guitar,
its funny after a few years having their albums (LP's) and then decades later having my 1st copies of
Ayreons 3rd and 4th albums, I wondered "I've seen Arjen somewhere before" LOL

Heres a STAGGERING list of Metal from the Netherlands:
http://www.metal-archives.com/browseC.php?c=151

And to cold103, definatly watch this (Your question of
"Chinese Metal"):

"Long haired Warriors!" LOL Big smile
(Sorry guys, this is the only FULL vid on this section of the Film, The Spanish
subtitles get in the way of the Chinese translations  unfortunately - for those
who dont speak it anyway).  Go here for next part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZmHCRgDNs&NR=1

And check this out . . .

(See lists of Chinese Metal from there and above Vid).

Big smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 15 Apr 2010 at 4:41am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 12:34am
Ayreon, no doubtSmile
Bartje1979 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bartje1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 1:59pm

Ayreon Clap

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 3:15am
Other:

Pestilence and then Gorefest.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:20am

The Gathering!
deathlifereborn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deathlifereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:13am

Big smile AYREON!!! Arjen is a genius, well imo he is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic