MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three (prog metal) bassists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of the three prog metal bassist is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [55.00%]
6 [30.00%]
3 [15.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three (prog metal) bassists
    Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 10:16pm
Part one in a study of bassists: PROG METAL

I chose three bassists, each having great skill with their instrument, and each being in a band that has a rather decent following. So, which of these bassists, from Dream Theater, Riverside, or Opeth is your favorite?

I defied all expectation, and went with Mariusz Duda. Although I love John Myung with copious amounts of joy, Duda's style is so unique I (painfully) chose him.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 10:29pm
Oh wow, soooo many you could possibly choose from!

But since we're limited to these three I'll say Duda.
I'm sure Mendez is good but I never though the bass a huge part of Opeth, and makes it tough to show how good he may be.
Nothing against Myung who is quite fine but I think a bit over rated.
I didn't even know the bassist's name for Riverside Embarrassed but I really like him! Out of these 3 he's probably the best.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 10:32pm
^I never can remember it off the top of my head, but I can always recognize it LOL
That's what happens when you don't speak Polish Tongue
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 10:59pm
I'll go with Myung here.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 12:19am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I'll go with Myung here.

Surprise?

Tongue

Oh and it's not so much the speaking Polish thing, I am just new to Riverside. But they are a great band! And I think he may be the best bassist of these.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 2:36am
I�ll go with Myung. Just too bad his bass is often drowned the ego Petrucci and Portnoy productions. Dream Theater is one of those bands that are in dire need of an outside producer and have been since 1998.
Charcaroth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 5:13am
John Myung. Even though he's relegated to the background in DT. Opeth was my favorite band for a few years, but I always found Martin Mendez's playing a bit boring. A bassist with some character might do Opeth some good.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 10:04am
Since I'm not very familiar with Riverside, I won't bother voting.  Myung and Mendez are both excellent players, and I'm very fond of both of their styles and note choice.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 10:07am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I�ll go with Myung. Just too bad his bass is often drowned the ego Petrucci and Portnoy productions. Dream Theater is one of those bands that are in dire need of an outside producer and have been since 1998.

+1

With Portnoy out of the picture, I wish they'd finally wise up to getting some outside ears into the studio.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 12:43pm
Went with John Myung here, really like his style...

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 1:48pm
John Myung.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 1:59pm
Of course Martin Mendez!
Inexistence is the true normality.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

^I never can remember it off the top of my head, but I can always recognize it LOL

It's never too late to learnWink Phonetic representation would be Mar-you-sh Doo-da... I guessTongue

My vote goes to him. While I love Opeth and Martin's performance in GR was terrific, Mariusz is simply unique with his inventive and organic playing.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

It's never too late to learnWink Phonetic representation would be Mar-you-sh Doo-da... I guessTongue

My vote goes to him. While I love Opeth and Martin's performance in GR was terrific, Mariusz is simply unique with his inventive and organic playing.

It's not Marry-uz Dud-aLOL
Don't worry I'm not THAT American Tongue
I actually have quite a bit of Polish in me; my great-grandmother was born there.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 8:29pm
^ That's great to know, AndySmile Still, I'm not very surprised. One of the oldest Polish traditions is called "emigration"LOL But I venture to assume that your great grandmother escaped from war - Poland was a real hell at the time. Now it's more like purgatoryTongue
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

+1

With Portnoy out of the picture, I wish they'd finally wise up to getting some outside ears into the studio.

You make it sound like he was a detriment... Cry
LOL just my fanboyship is offended by any negative DT comment.... which there are too many of...
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 11:39pm
At least you can admit you are a fanboy!

Are you at least stable enough to keep calm if I say "DT is alright overall" ?

I don't dislike them at all but that comments usually results in rabid people flying through my comp screen trying to choke me.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 8:48am

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

+1

You make it sound like he was a detriment... Cry
LOL just my fanboyship is offended by any negative DT comment.... which there are too many of...

Well I fully understand why he didn't want an outside producer.  He wanted to maintain creative control after his disappointment during the Falling Into Infinity "experiment".  However, I prefer that album to anything they've created since Train of Thought.

That and unleash Myung!!! LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

At least you can admit you are a fanboy!

Are you at least stable enough to keep calm if I say "DT is alright overall" ?

I don't dislike them at all but that comments usually results in rabid people flying through my comp screen trying to choke me.

LOL I can accept "alright" Tongue
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 3:09pm
You know, I actually like the Portnoy/Petrucci productions. BC&SL was a bit too "over-produced" for me, but I really love the sound on SFAM, 6DOIT, SC, and especially 8VM. Awake still has my favorite DT production, though.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic