MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dungeons & Dragons (D&D)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What do you think about it?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dungeons & Dragons (D&D)
    Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:07am
I'm a big fan of D&D, but don't play it anymore. I instead chose to be a different kind of D&D enthusiast: I'm ever expanding my knowledge about it. My favourite D&D edition is 3E (3.5).

I decided to create this thread, after creating my Baelnorn imaginary character. It is like a NPC actually. For instance I didn't make my character read the tomes which give inherent stat bonuses. Otherwise my "intelligence" would be 40, hahah. 

Less than a year ago, I rolled dice for a Grey Elf wizard. Then, I've realised that the undead elven lich which is called Baelnorn has an image with a blue skin, and that perfectly fits to create a frost mage. My roll was extremely lucky! Here's what I wrote about it on my Facebook page:

"Just rolled a couple of times for the Gray Elf Shadowyzard. I wasn't gonna roll thousands of times like I do in CRPG's like BG, TToEE etc. My really first roll for this imaginary character was a total of 80 (18-14-12-12-12-12-*8*), but with the method 4D6 - Drop lowest 7 times and drop the lowest set. I then figured that this is not an official method either. Instead I decided to use the same method but with 6 sets (the official method). I was gonna accept a total score of 80 or something, but a 91 with 2 18s has been a pleasant surprise.

Lucky me, I guess. 91 total rolls with 2 18s? U gotta be kiddin' me!"
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Any thoughts about D&D from you?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:16am
Year's ago I had a couple of mates who were really into it and they asked me along to play a couple of times. I gave it a go but never really got into it so didn't bother going anymore.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 9:06am
Oops. Changed my idea! It will be a baelnorn still but not a Frost Mage. As cold his cold immunity is redundant with Baelnorn's. I'll use my Ultimate Magus build instead.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 9:45am
I tried to get it in my secondary school years, since several friends were into it. And I believe I could have loved it. A number of problems contributed to me never really getting started on it though, but I did have a few of the manuals including the Player's Handbook, a Dungeon Master's Guide, and multiple Monster Manuals. 

Problem one: When I told my parents of my interest in D&D, they bought me the D&D board game for Christmas that year. The board game could actually be quite fun, but was obviously immensely toned down compared to D&D proper and it absolutely was NOT what my friends were playing, so the only times I got to play it were with my parents, which was under extreme protest. Eventually the game, plus its two expansions that I also had, just got shoved away to gather dust.

Problem two: My friends turned out to not be that interested in playing with a newbie who didn't know what he was doing. If there was a game going to happen, I was generally not invited. 

Problem three: Time. I guess I don't need to explain this one to anyone's who's played it, but D&D can potentially take a while. It was not a game much suited to school lunch breaks where some teachers would allow students to use their classrooms or for after school visits around somebody's house. 

Eventually I sold all my manuals for proper D&D, plus the board game and expansions on ebay. Actually made quite a bit of money on some of them. Best thing D&D ever did for me since I got most of the books either second hand or free and the board games were gifts (and at the time, common items). 

I've played a few D&D video games as well, which I always enjoyed though. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 10:12am
I've heard of it but was always too intimidated by the potential complexity of it to ever give it a fair shot!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Problem two: My friends turned out to not be that interested in playing with a newbie who didn't know what he was doing. If there was a game going to happen, I was generally not invited. 

Ugh! I wouldn't say nice things about your friends on this... They could've invited you several times a year, and played a light-hearted game where rules were of second importance. And then, they could've played their regular game and let you watch it the same day. That wouldn't hurt much. Also, that way you might have developed a keen interest in D&D and could have caught up with your friends' level in a year or so.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Ugh! I wouldn't say nice things about your friends on this... They could've invited you several times a year, and played a light-hearted game where rules were of second importance. And then, they could've played their regular game and let you watch it the same day. That wouldn't hurt much. Also, that way you might have developed a keen interest in D&D and could have caught up with your friends' level in a year or so.

My impression was that my mates considered themselves pretty hardcore players. I like to think that if they'd ever played with an experienced dungeon master who wasn't also 15 (at most) that they'd have got their arses handed to them. 

I did get to play a few times. I have a distinct memory of a game where my character got killed within the first few minutes. I don't remember the workings of the game very well, but I always felt this wasn't bad luck or a silly mistake on my part, but something done deliberately by the dungeon master so the regulars didn't have the hand hold me. Just speculation, but maybe you could tell me if that's actually a possibility. 

I think the point I finally gave up and everything got packed away was the time I actually hosted a game. It was only me and two other players. One of them took about an hour to sort his character out, which wasn't a lot of our playing time before they had to go home. That game was then left on a table in our spare bedroom for months waiting to be resumed. It never was. School ended. I got a job for a few months at a local supermarket over the Christmas period, and then went to college and then university. I haven't seen the player who took so long with his character since that day. 
GG2U

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 11:19am

Just speculation, but maybe you could tell me if that's actually a possibility.

Sure, some DMs are not dungeon masters but "dire mice". They cannot even be dire rats. Hopeless losers for even that. Anyway... Some people literally waste their lives playing D&D. So your experience with the game is not the most unfortunate, I assure you.

Edited by Shadowyzard - 04 Jul 2021 at 11:20am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 11:51am
Well they certainly didn't make me feel like I missed much.

Some of the same group also played the Pokemon Trading Card game in those years. I wasn't really interest in that. I collected the cards and kept them nice in a folder (something which also made me a lot of money years later), but I did actually know what I was doing with that game and could have played if invited, since I certainly had enough doubles to make a serviceable deck without risking damaging my collection. I had a long standing trade ban as far as Pokemon cards went though, due to my refusal to give up the rarest cards from my collection, so I wasn't exactly welcome at that table either. I wonder if that spilled over into the D&D games now actually, since the dungeon master was the guy who made several attempts to get a rare Japanese holofoil card I owned off of me. 

They weren't exactly the best of friends. It's no wonder I've lost touch with most of them now. 

Edited by adg211288 - 04 Jul 2021 at 11:51am
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 12:02pm
My friends and I played a few times, many years ago. We didn't take the rules that seriously and I don't remember what specific version we played, but we could get really into roleplaying our characters. It was a good laugh. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 12:26am
I got the D&D Basic set for my 13th birthday in 1985.

I'd first read about it in the novelization of E.T., and it sounded like fun, because I loved movies like Conan the Barbarian. A few guys at school were into it as well. We only played once or twice, but my younger brothers got keen on it too, so we used to spend our entire summer holidays playing it every evening while watching World Series cricket on TV (I'm from a farming family, so summer was always harvest time, so no summer holidays away).

Our games weren't big on the role playing and were basically dungeon slash games, like table top versions of Gauntlet or Diablo.

I haven't played it in probably 30 years, but my brother still does, and has got my nephews into it as well. And my uncle and aunt have both played it since the 70s, and have even been LARPing at various times - we even asked them if our newborn cousin was going to be a halfling.

I'd love to get back into it again, and I think my grandson would love it if I could play it with him.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 3:00am
Nice to have such feedback here!

I switched back to my old avatar & sig. Here is Syous, magic user of the arcade game entitled Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara. My favourite arcade game, hands down! I still play it on my computer. Never gets boring! This is both of arcane and arcade. Nothing can get better for me!

Edited by Shadowyzard - 05 Jul 2021 at 3:25am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 2:37pm
I played Warhammer with a couple of friends when I was in secondary school, and we had some great sunday afternoons enjoying that game. It´s extremely time consuming though, and today I´d rather spend my time doing something else.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 2:57pm
We still have a board game in our house called Hero Quest which seems influenced by D & D though very simplified.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 9:18am
I remember that the Player's Handbook I had came with a character sheet generator on a CD-ROM. I probably spent more time using that than I ever did playing D&D. 
GG2U

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

We still have a board game in our house called Hero Quest which seems influenced by D & D though very simplified.

Oh boy, I spent a lot of hours playing Hero Quest back in theday. Great fun!

I tried AD&D a couple of time, but it never really caught me. I was much more into a Swedish RPG called Dragons and Demons which was a bit of a D&D knock-off, but somehow woeks much better. I played a lot of SmurfQuest too.One RPG I regret never getting around to trying is Call of Cthulhu.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 5:56am
My current avatar and signature are from my favourite arcade game named Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara. My avatar picture is a screenshot of my playing the game. Just when I killed the ultimate boss Synn with my Power Word Kill spell. 
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 7:21am
My brother has played it a bit. I've neither made an effort to get into it or been invited by him to join in anyway.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 4:15am
I was thinking to create a dark scholar character for a long time. Finally I envisioned him, and rolled die for the ability scores. Guess what happened... One of my luckiest rolls ever. First roll!!!

DS

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 4:19am
I've just bought the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale video games off of Steam in a deal. Always wanted to play these years ago but never got the opportunity. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic