Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Better with age?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better with age?
    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 1:32am
I recently listened to this for the first time in years...
MEGADETH - Countdown to Extinction cover
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction

...and it was better than I remembered. Yeah, I didn't like it much compared to what had come before. It was slow and a bit clunky like Metallica's Black album when I was wanting more fast and heavy thrash like the previous albums. This wasn't it.

Listening to it now though, it's damn good. Yes, Symphony of Destruction has been played to death, but to back it up there's some incredible songs. The title track, Architecture of Aggression, Foreclosure of a Dream, This Was My Life, Ashes in Your Mouth are all killers. There's still a couple of clunkers, like High Speed Dirt and Psychotron, but the good songs outweigh the bad. And I enjoyed this album.

So I thought, what else have I been dismissing and haven't listened to in years because I didn't really like it initially? So I'm going to go through my collection and check out albums from bands I generally like, but I don't think much of a particular album. So next...

KREATOR - Coma of Souls cover

Kreator - Coma Of Souls

I'm not really sure why I didn't like this, but it could be because it didn't sound like Extreme Aggression. It doesn't quite have the ripping rhythm guitar sound or memorable riffs. What I didn't know at the time is it sounds more like Terrible Certainty and Pleasure to Kill, and what I also didn't know was they were amazing albums. And so is this. It's no Extreme Aggression. It's Coma of Souls, and it's amazing in it's own right.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 4:28am
It just gets better & better with each listen. A timeless progressive metal masterpiece! Beyond Twilight - For the Love of Art and the Making

557162cb795b352879aceac08732a4eb-2006

An underrated gem! Never loses its appeal! Darkology - Darkology

Edited by Shadowyzard - 30 Jun 2021 at 4:30am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 4:37pm
NAPALM DEATH - Harmony Corruption cover

Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption

I didn't really like this when I first bought it because it seemed a bit dry and boring. I still don't like it because it's still dry and boring.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 5:29pm
NOCTURNUS - Thresholds cover
Nocturnus - Thresholds

I don't know if I was drunk or stupid when I decided I didn't like this. It's fucking incredible. Old school technical death metal at it's best.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 12:41am
I think my most notable better with age album would have to be Imaginaerum by Nightwish. That's gone from 'this sucks' to my second favourite by them over the years. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 7:31pm
HELLOWEEN - Pink Bubbles Go Ape cover
Helloween - Pink Bubbles Go Ape

I didn't think much of this as the first Helloween studio album I bought. It seemed a bit saccharine sweet and soft. It still does. And heavy metal hamsters can fuck right off as one of the dumbest metal songs ever written!

Edited by Vim Fuego - 02 Jul 2021 at 1:46am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 1:45am
AC/DC - Black Ice cover

AC/DC - Black Ice

I must have been in a bad mood when I rated this originally. It's really pretty good. No, it's not a classic like Back in Black or Highway To Hell, but not many AC/DC albums are. But this has all the ingredients of a solid AC/DC album. There's a handful of genuinely brilliant songs, like Rock 'N' Roll Train, the title track, and War Machine. And then the rest is solid, slightly formulaic filler. But it's a good formula, and AC/DC's filler is the equivalent to many other bands' killer.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 12:46pm
TESTAMENT - The Ritual cover

Testament - The Ritual

I remember this being a bit dull and soulless. My memory was correct. It's just so boring! There are a couple of banging tracks, but otherwise all the spiky edges had been sanded off. I remember reading that Eric Peterson was really unhappy with this album. He wanted to get heavier, like Sepultura, but parts of this are almost commercial. There's a grunge-ish influence coming through. A couple of songs have a definite Soundgarden feel to them.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 4:33pm
D.R.I. - Thrash Zone cover

D.R.I. - Thrash Zone

Well... I was REALLY wrong about this one! Not listened in years. Dirty and rotten these boys might have been, but imbeciles they were not. Lyrically very intelligent and socially aware. Musically, there's a lot more going on than I initially thought. I'd reviewed this album, and absolutely panned it. I disagree with the review entirely now, so I got rid of it. Gotta make up for lost time here.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 6:47pm
DARKTHRONE - A Blaze in the Northern Sky cover

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

I thought this was a load of shit first time I heard it. Still do.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 8:43pm
ACCEPT - Eat the Heat cover

Accept - Eat The Heat

For metal legends, this album is very lacking in metal. It's basically late 80s radio friendly hard rock. There's a couple of OK tracks, but overall it's pretty bland. It's no better now than 30 years ago.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 05 Jul 2021 at 8:43pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 1:45pm
ANNIHILATOR - Set the World on Fire cover

Annihilator - Set The World On Fire

If anything, this has gotten worse with age. I found myself getting more and more frustrated with it the longer I listened. Annihilator had so much potential, and threw it all away on this total abortion. There are a few flashes of the brilliance which gave us Alice In Hell, but it's mostly a mess. I used to like Brain Dance, but even that's gone now. I might never revisit this again.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 5:33pm
OVERKILL - I Hear Black cover

Overkill - I Hear Black

Better than I remember. It's never going to be considered a classic, and isn't an all-out thrasher, but there's some really solid tunes here. This album demonstrated where thrash was at the time it was released in 1993 - a bit lost and looking to expand horizons. It was just no-one really knew which way to go.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 4:39pm
SUFFOCATION - Pierced From Within cover
Suffocation - Pierced From Within

Upped my rating from 1 star to 2, but it's still boring.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 5:43pm
It works both ways.

Some albums ARE better with age.

Some actually become less interesting.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:58am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

It works both ways.

I have a lot of older albums which I'm less interested in now due to over-listening, like the first five Metallicas, the early Megadeths, Appetite For Destruction, Hysteria etc., but I really want to stick to albums I haven't revisited much for various reasons. I'm trying to mix up the genres a bit, but they are mostly gonna be old thrash albums, because that's what I have lots of.Smile
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 7:14pm
CANDLEMASS - Chapter VI cover

Candlemass - Chapter VI

Good but not great. Should have given it more listens than I did, but doesn't have the immediate appeal of previous albums.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

It works both ways.

I have a lot of older albums which I'm less interested in now due to over-listening, like the first five Metallicas, the early Megadeths, Appetite For Destruction, Hysteria etc., but I really want to stick to albums I haven't revisited much for various reasons. I'm trying to mix up the genres a bit, but they are mostly gonna be old thrash albums, because that's what I have lots of.Smile

Sometimes it's not age, it's exposure. Some albums just require more listening and then need to simmer in the noggin for a few years!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 3:22am
EXODUS - Pleasures of the Flesh cover

Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh

For some reason I didn't click with this album, probably because of the albums either side of it. Dunno why. It fucking rips.

ONSLAUGHT - In Search of Sanity cover

Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity

The vocals, the fucking vocals! Too damn melodic and soft for the music. This was like a hard rock version of what Onslaught should have been. Nige Rockett wasn't Joey Belladonna, and Onslaught wasn't Anthrax. Some of the songs here are still hard and thrashy as fuck, and Welcome to Dying is a masterpiece, but the vocals are just wrong. And Asylum is a really shit, really long ambient intro.

OBITUARY - Frozen in Time cover

Obituary - Frozen in Time

I dunno why I've only listened to this a couple of times, but it's fucking excellent. More than solid Obituary album.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:29pm
DEATH - Spiritual Healing cover

Death - Spiritual Healing

I'm never going to love this album like I do with the two before it, but I think I've made my peace with it. It's good, solid old school death metal, but just sounds a bit dry compared to Leprosy. There's some fucking amazing passages in some of the songs, but then other times it sounds like scraps from the Leprosy sessions. The move away from gore based lyrics was a risky move at the time when a lot of bands were going for maximum splatter, which might be part of the problem I had with it when it first came out, because I loved the carnage. However, listening now the lyrics are pretty smart and more thoughtful than I'd considered. Glad I gave it another listen. It'll get a few more spins in the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic