Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ProgArchives mentioned on Punk Rock MBA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProgArchives mentioned on Punk Rock MBA
    Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:05pm
I was just watching a video from The Punk Rock MBA (The channel name is a bit vague. The guy covers all sorts of music.) called The Problem with Progressive Music...

At about 3:20 into the video, he defines prog, using the definition from ProgArchives.Cool
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:39pm
As a prog fan, I think that guy speaks a lot of sense. Prog should be interesting and surprising but it should always move you. Too much shredding and layering just makes me anxious LOL

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:46pm
It's often what puts me off it. Well, that and having a short attention span.LOL
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 5:55pm
A-FUCKING-MEN! I could not agree more w/ this guy! You could have the most technically demanding song in this world but if it lacks catchiness, emotion, whatever, etc. It's not necessarily a great song! This is why I've always enjoyed stuff like Yes more than say, King Crimson or what have you...they have the catchiness to go along w/ the technique. I'll have to show this video to my friend and see what he thinks. He was pretty big into prog and may still be. Not sure.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 10:06am
I see his point, but a lot of the prog acts that he criticizes are not really bands I listen to anyway. I do think that the prog acts I tend to listen to know how to make good songs and balance that out neatly with the more wanky parts of the genre. I mean, just check out Fates Warning.
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 10:07am
Meh.  

On the one hand, I agree with him that both prog and metal have become wastelands of bands who aren't particularly good at songwriting, don't employ melody and couldn't make an audience groove if their lives depended on it. 

On the other hand, he doesn't make a compelling case and basically insults anyone involved in prog or who enjoys listening to prog. 

It's funny, his basic point is that prog delivers a message in stunning fashion, it's just not a message worth delivering. In the case of his video, switch that around...it's a message worth delivering, he just doesn't do a very good job of it. 
Check out my Rock and Roll Soap Box site on YouTube where I opine on various things rock: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJZ37mEgLpKzYvPbXcHQkg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic