Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 so far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021 so far
    Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 8:26am
I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where people can recommend 2021 releases that have impressed them thus far.

Here's a few I've been enjoying:

Ad Nauseam - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse (dissonant avante-garde tech death)
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/ad-nauseam/imperative-imperceptible-impulse

Enrapture - Another Green Drought (prog influenced post-metal)

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/enrapture(norway)/another-green-drought

Sweaty Mammoth - low n slow (stoney, clean vocal sludge)

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/sweaty-mammoth/low-n-slow

Devotion - The Harrowing (solid death metal)

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/devotion/the-harrowing

Kaptan Kadavra - Kaptan Kadavra (thrash/groove/sludge fusion)

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/kaptan-kadavra/kaptan-kadavra

Coffin Mulch - Septic Funeral (old school death with a doom influence)

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/coffin-mulch/septic-funeral(ep)
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:54am
I haven't checked out much yet. 

The new one from Epica, Omega, is very good. 

Lovebites new EP Glory, Glory, To the World is excellent and shows off some interesting sound developments.

And I have high hopes for new releases from Mare Cognitum and Spectral Lore. The former is already out but I've held off from streaming it in anticipation for the CD, which Amazon has slated for an April 2nd release. I have my fingers crossed that they don't fuck either of these up like they did with Uada last year.

Otherwise I'm long overdue checking out some new stuff. I mainly go through what I already have these days and have neglected. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:40pm
I´ve only listened to and reviewed two 2021 albums so far:

Paradise Lost - "Gothic - Live At Roadburn 2016"
Tribulation - "Where The Gloom Becomes Sound"

I think I´ve lost my interest in Tribulation, although it´s a good quality release, but I can highly recommend the Paradise Lost live album. That´s a great album.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:02pm
Not listening to many new metal releases this year but these are a few that i like a bit
Actually just not finding a lot of new music i love returning to lately
Finding more interest in digging in the past

Ad Nauseum - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse

The Ruins of Beverast - The Thule Grimoires

Therion - Leviathan

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:04am
Just added another to my list:
Kreator - "Under the Guillotine"

It´s a combined best-of and rarities compilation album. Nothing too interesting here, if you already own the first six albums and the "Out of the Dark ... Into the Light (1988)" EP. I´m not that interested in demos and remixes, and the rarity tracks aren´t that interesting either.

The main attraction are the remixed tracks from "Renewal", which are more bottom heavy and guitar driven than the originals.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

And I have high hopes for new releases from Mare Cognitum and Spectral Lore. The former is already out but I've held off from streaming it in anticipation for the CD, which Amazon has slated for an April 2nd release. I have my fingers crossed that they don't fuck either of these up like they did with Uada last year.

Yeah I'm holding out on these too. 

I rarely experience the hearing of a new record for the first time when the physical copy is in my hands these days. It's too easy to stream first, even when you've pre-ordered. 

Mare Cognitum is tempting me, especially now that it's on Spotify, but I can hold out a few more days. If Amazon screws up though I'll stream it. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

It´s a combined best-of and rarities compilation album. Nothing too interesting here, if you already own the first six albums and the "Out of the Dark ... Into the Light (1988)" EP. I´m not that interested in demos and remixes, and the rarity tracks aren´t that interesting either.

The main attraction are the remixed tracks from "Renewal", which are more bottom heavy and guitar driven than the originals.

Been listening to it this morning. I gotta say I quite like it. It could be because I'm listening on headphones for a change, but some of those songs sound sharper than usual, remixed, remastered or not.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Been listening to it this morning. I gotta say I quite like it. It could be because I'm listening on headphones for a change, but some of those songs sound sharper than usual, remixed, remastered or not.

Maybe it´s because I rate the original version of Renewal so high, so I don´t see a need for a remix. I love how the original sounds. It´s the only Kreator album I still give a spin.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:25am
Not a bad start to the year. I rate all these albums pretty highly as I bought them all after hearing them first on Spotify or in a few cases bands I really like, I just took a chance and pre-ordered. 

Death metal
Asphyx - Necroceros
Baest - Necro Sapiens
Memoriam - To The End
Cannibal Corpse - Violence Unimagined (just arrived yesterday but loving it already).

Gothic metal
Tribulation - Where The Gloom Becomes Sound

Heavy metal 
Accept - Too Mean To Die

Crossover thrash
Enforced - Kill Grid 

Hard rock
The Dead Daisies - Holy Ground (probably my album of the year so far).
Alice Cooper - Detroit Stories (his best in years).

Prog metal
Iotunn - Access All Worlds
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:48am
I just discovered thses guys: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/cryptosis

That´s some pretty great tech thrash with sci-fi themed lyrics. It´s like a slightly more simple Vektor or something along the lines of that.
CRYPTOSIS - Bionic Swarm cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/cryptosis/bionic-swarm
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:24am
Thanks all, lots of stuff to add to the "listen to" list 😀

Paul, I agree regarding the new effort from Cannibal Corpse. A strong release upon the first listen. I shall definitely be purchasing that one.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 11:44pm
Metal wise there hasn't been much yet for me. The new Ra album was pretty good, though a step down from their last album as it's missing their usual Egyptian/Middle-Eastern influences. New Annalynn was good too.

Electronic wise though? This year kicks ass and might be even better than last year. One of my favorites is the new DJ Rozwell album, which I could see appealing to some fellow sludge metal fans with Rozwell's heavy and noisy production:

(It's name your price on Bandcamp btw)

Edited by Unitron - 19 Apr 2021 at 11:44pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 2:07am
^thanks man, I'll check it out.   I need to need to listen to more electronic stuff as I generally enjoy big beat/breakbeat and like the odd bit of techno and acid house but I've never properly explored though.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 11:06am
^Nice to know there's another big beat/breakbeat fan here! One of my absolute favorite genres, with The Chemical Brothers being in my top 5 artists. To not go too off topic, there's an electronic music thread here, curious what some of your favorite artists are: https://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12558&title=electronic-music-appreciation-thread

I can give several recommendations of great electronic albums I've been enjoying lately.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 12:49pm
Cheers Khaliq - I've responded on that thread 😀
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 3:59pm

I just discovered thses guys: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/cryptosis

That´s some pretty great tech thrash with sci-fi themed lyrics. It´s like a slightly more simple Vektor or something along the lines of that.
CRYPTOSIS - Bionic Swarm cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/cryptosis/bionic-swarm

Hey that's great! I need that album.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 6:45am
Gojira has just released their new album, called Fortitude. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 7:55am
^ listened to the first half on the morning commute today...second half on the way home soon.

It hasn't been an instant hit with me so far.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 3:09am
Vektor/Cryptosis - "Transmissions of Chaos": Nice split this one, which shows a new side of Vektor that I really enjoy. Gone are the annoying high pitched screaming vocals...finally.

I´ve also listened to the debut album by Frozen Soul titled "Crypt of Ice", which is a strongly Bolt Thrower influenced affair. Great album if you enjoy that style of death metal.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 12:10pm
The new album of Lake of Tears is a pleasant listen: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/lake-of-tears/ominous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic