MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dave Holland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellorhighwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dave Holland
    Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:17am
Hi!
Do anyone know if Dave Holland owned Estudios Mediterráneo (former Ibiza Sound Studios) at the time it was burnt to the ground in 1990? Holland bought the studio in 1983 when Judas Priest was about to record Defenders of the Faith. According to the Judas Prist Info Pages the fire was suspected as a insurance fraud.

KK Downing, and maybe also Glenn Tipton, felt restrained by Holland’s drumming when they wanted to experiment with the Priest sound and speed things up, especially during live shows. Therefore they decided to use a drum machine during the recording of Ram It Down. I don’t know if Holland played at all on the album, altough being credited. Maybe he layed down the drum patterns for the drum machine? Though I think Downing or Tipton did that.
Holland reportedly didn’t show any signs or being bothered by the drum machine. But at the end of the Mercenaries of Metal Tour in 1988, Holland started acting out against Glenn Tipton whom he saw as responsible for replacing Holland with a drum machine. After one of these rants against Tipton, he added; ”and by the way, I’m quitting the band”, which he would do as soon as the tour was over.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:32am
Don't know if Holland owned the studio but according to Rob Halford's recent autobiography he was pretty depressed about having his drum parts taken by a drum machine which ultimately led to him quitting the band. I think he may have still played on some of the album. I haven't played it for a while but I'll give it a listen and see if there's any noticeable difference in the drum sound between tracks. I remember the title track definitely being a drum machine.
hellorhighwater View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellorhighwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 5:11am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Don't know if Holland owned the studio but according to Rob Halford's recent autobiography he was pretty depressed about having his drum parts taken by a drum machine which ultimately led to him quitting the band. I think he may have still played on some of the album. I haven't played it for a while but I'll give it a listen and see if there's any noticeable difference in the drum sound between tracks. I remember the title track definitely being a drum machine.

I think ”Hard as Iron” must be a drum machine too. That song sounds like Judas Priest meets Nitzer Ebb and something that could be played in a club, if they did a remix. The drums sound way too artificial to suit a heavy metal song imo.
Also, ”Blood Red Skies” is 100% drum machine according to KK Downing’s autobiography.

Edited by hellorhighwater - 11 Mar 2021 at 5:12am
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 12:05pm
Don't know about the specific questions. What I do know is, like Downing and Tipton, I found Holland's drumming to be a severe hindrance on what the band was capable of.

Both the early, pre-Holland Priest and post-Holland Priest could do faster, more sophisticated songs. Basically from British Steel until Painkiller JP were like a one-armed band IMO.

Feel a bit similarly about Dio's bromance with Vinnie Appice, who I consider a mediocre rock drummer. All of Dio's work with Appice would have been improved with a more accomplished drummer.
Check out my Rock and Roll Soap Box site on YouTube where I opine on various things rock: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJZ37mEgLpKzYvPbXcHQkg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image