Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviewing what the reviewers reviewed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 3:20pm

Silver or Lead by Optimum Wound Profile. One of those bands I have read about for years, but never actually listened to. We don't have them here yet, hence the video instead of a pic. Terrorizer underrated this at 3.5. This is a 4.5.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 4:10pm

Mourning - Greetings from Hell
Doom-death from a time when doom-death was thought to be novel enough to make a band interesting. Not quite. Not band, but not amazing either. Agree with Terrorizer's 3.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:14pm
A couple of Mekong Deltas:
MEKONG DELTA - Live at an Exhibition cover
MEKONG DELTA - Classics cover

Terrorizer gave them 1 and 2 respectively. I'm going higher than that 3 and 3.5.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 07 Mar 2021 at 10:35pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:17pm
PITCHSHIFTER - Desensitized cover

This was pretty good. I've heard the odd track, but am more familiar with the later, more commercial material. Still worth a 4, while Terrorizer went 3.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:20pm
SAD WHISPERINGS - Sensitive to Autumn cover

More Dutch doom-death. Much better than Mourning, especially in the vocals. This also does a bit of a Paradise Lost and adds occasional female vocals, although doesn't have the Gothic feel of PL. My 3.5 over Terrorizer's 3.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

This was pretty good. I've heard the odd track, but am more familiar with the later, more commercial material. Still worth a 4, while Terrorizer went 3.

Love this album, sucks that it often gets forgotten about. I love their experimentation with drum and bass and breakbeat on their later stuff like www.pitchshifter.com, but those are ruined for me with the vocals. Wish they kept the more gruff vocals from this era instead of falling into the trap of most late 90's industrial bands and feeling the need to imitate Reznor.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Love this album, sucks that it often gets forgotten about. I love their experimentation with drum and bass and breakbeat on their later stuff like www.pitchshifter.com, but those are ruined for me with the vocals. Wish they kept the more gruff vocals from this era instead of falling into the trap of most late 90's industrial bands and feeling the need to imitate Reznor.

Oh yeah, the vocals in particular really get worse after this.

I really wish Earache would get their shit together though. There are so many Earache bands with little or no material on Spotify. I had to go through YouTube to get this, and while Spotify pays artists a pittance, you can't even guarantee that YouTube pays anything.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 11:41am
CUBANATE - Antimatter cover
This is fucking amazing! Another one of those "read about, never heard" bands. 3 from Terrorizer. Getting a 4 from me.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 1:16pm
FIGHT - War of Words cover
I have no idea what sort of alternative reality I was in when I rated this 3. I love this album! Have just upgraded to the 5 where it belongs. Terrorizer were a bit iffy on it, possibly wanting more Judas Priest, but comparing this to Pantera, and gave it 3.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 3:36pm

An album from a band we don't have. Revolting Cocks is one of Al Jourgensen's many projects. This is groovier, less metallic, and more experimental than Ministry or Lard. I didn't think much of it when I first got it, but it's a grower. Terrorizer were about right with a 3.5.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 3:38pm
NECROPHOBIC - The Nocturnal Silence cover
This is some good shit! Swedish blackened death metal. 3 from Terrorizer. 4 from me.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:36pm
SENTENCED - North From Here cover
Last up is Sentenced's second album North From Here. When I saw them I thought it was going to be a bit gloomy and a bit of a downer, because I have really only listened to later gothic-ish albums than this. But no, this was a surprise. It was death metal, and some of it was quite outstanding. Unfortunately, it was also a bit uneven, and it dragged a bit in places. Terrorizer rated this a 4.5. I think it rates a 3.

This was the last review in this magazine. Judging by the state of metal from this mag, the melodic death thing was just starting to develop, thrash was well and truly fucked, doom-death and doom metal were on the rise, and the industrial thing was starting to show some real variety and potential. There was a little bit of black metal, and it hadn't overwhelmed and drowned all else in the underground just yet. And for anyone who doesn't know, Terrorizer leans more to the extreme end of metal.

It also pointed out several glaring holes in our database!Big smile I shall endeavor to fix these forthwith.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:25am
Going with Hot Metal Summer 1997, issue #94 (It only ran to 96 issues)

Edited by Vim Fuego - 04 Mar 2021 at 10:27am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 1:27pm
TYPE O NEGATIVE - October Rust cover
This is my least favourite Type O album, but on no day of the week or in a month of Sundays is it ever a 1/5 as rated by Hot Metal. I'm giving it a 3, because it drags on more than I remember, and has a bit too much silly filler stuff.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:13pm
Blackdotsbadbrains.jpg
An album we don't have. It was Bad Brains' first attempt at recording in 1979, but not released until October 1996. Some of the old classics are here, like Pay To Cum, Attitude and Banned in D.C. It's rough as fuck, and full of things like the producer talking to his son (the studio was his basement!), and the sound is a bit muffled. If you turn it up a bit though, Bad Brains' energy and attitude shines through. Hot Metal gave it 3, I think it deserves 4.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 3:20pm

Lord Kaos - Thorns of Impurity. Apparently this is a forgotten black metal classic. I think it's a load of boring wank. 57 minutes of the same droning shit in repeat. Hot Metal rated it 3.5. I'd give it 1.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 04 Mar 2021 at 3:22pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 4:53pm
SKUNK ANANSIE - Stoosh cover
Not particularly hard or heavy, but I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Hot Metal reckoned 3. I reckon 4.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:16pm
MANOWAR - Louder Than Hell cover
I actually own this mad arsed album. Good thing too, because my internet started playing up and I needed to resort to the CD. It a majestic, uncompromising 4.5, just above Hot Metal's 4.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 10:54am
There's an album missing here. It's called Why Stand When You Can Sit? and it's a compilation of Canberra punk bands. There seems to be no trace of it anywhere on line, which is a bugger because it sounded like fun. Oh well.

Next came:
DANZIG - Danzig 5: Blackacidevil cover
Yep, Danzig did an industrial/electronic album. It got widely panned and wasn't particularly successful. This isn't usually my sort of thing, but I thought this was really good. There's elements of NIN and White Zombie, and Danzig is a much better singetr than Manson. Hot Metal gave it 2.5. I reckon it's worth a 4.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 12:13pm

Thanks a fucking lot Seattle. Because of you, our metal mags got filled up with shit like this. There's nothing inherently wrong with it if you think a mix of R.E.M. and Foo Fighters sounds like fun, but in what used to be a metal mag? A complete mismatch. Hot Metal gave it 3.5. It's getting 1 from me. (And on the evidence of this album, this doesn't sound like a Metal Music Archives band)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic