Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviewing what the reviewers reviewed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:54pm
^ I haven't heard Mother's Milk in so Long. I lost interest after hearing Stadium Arcadium and generally only revisit Blood Sugar and Californication. I still have a copies of Freaky Styley and Mother's Milk somewhe so will rectify soon

Edited by BitterJalapeno - 18 Feb 2021 at 12:33am
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:13pm
Next came:
OZZY OSBOURNE - No More Tears cover

I have heard this before, but not for a while. It's a good 'un.

I must have a count-up of how many platinums there were in just this one issue of the magazine!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:28pm
THE CULT - Ceremony cover

And this was surprisingly dull. Maybe that's why The Cult faded a bit in the 90s.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:33pm
OK, 34x platinum in the US alone for the albums reviewed in this single issue of a magazine, and there weren't even that many reviews!
mrblond View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:37am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

And this was surprisingly dull. Maybe that's why The Cult faded a bit in the 90s.

I'm quite the opposite here. 
I've found The Cult later on, after 2000. This album grabbed me instantly. Many superb riffs are here. 
I think it is in the top 50 albums that were released during the 90's.
In my view, the album was vilified by the regime as all releases of the hard rock/heavy metal genre from 1991 onward. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by mrblond mrblond wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I'm quite the opposite here. 
I've found The Cult later on, after 2000. This album grabbed me instantly. Many superb riffs are here. 
I think it is in the top 50 albums that were released during the 90's.
In my view, the album was vilified by the regime as all releases of the hard rock/heavy metal genre from 1991 onward. 

They ran into some big legal problems over this album because of the use of Native American imagery. The parent's of the boy used in the cover photo sued them for $61 million dollars. Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy weren't getting on together too well either. As a result, they didn't tour or promote the album much. 

And following up Sonic Temple and Electric would have been pretty tough, because they were outstanding. Fire Woman was the number one song for weeks on end in 1989 here in New Zealand.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:26pm
Repurposing this thread slightly. I have to work from home again tomorrow, and perhaps most of the week (another COVID outbreakOuch). Rather than starting a new thread for each new magazine, I'll carry on with this one. Next magazine I pulled out (who am I kidding? It's not really random. It's just one I fancied the look of!LOL) was the first issue of Terrorizer I ever bought, which happened to be issue #2.

Terrorizer No.2 November 1993
I had a quick count-up, and I think there's about 25 album reviews here, and I own 5 of them. Should keep me busy for a few days.

(having trouble finding a picture, so I have made my own.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 27 Feb 2021 at 9:56pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 11:04am
CARCASS - Heartwork cover

Ya know, as much as this album annoys me, it's still really fucking good. It's just not what I wanted from Carcass, but it isn't my call to make what the the band produces. Anyway, Terrorizer gave it 5. I'm upgrading my 3 to 4.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 11:54am
BROKEN HOPE - The Bowels of Repugnance cover
Not a classic by any means, but Broken Hope's second album is pretty fucking brutal, but varied at the same time. The vocals are a little monotonous, but otherwise well worth a listen. Terrorizer gave it 3, I went with 3.5.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 1:26pm
VARIOUS ARTISTS (GENERAL) - 5 Years Nuclear Blast cover
One of the best compilations I own. I had to resort to my own CD for this, since compilations on Spotify are either non-existent or patchy. Wall to wall old school death metal! Terrorizer rated it 5 and I did too.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 3:58pm
Emperor/Enslaved split CD.
EMPEROR - Emperor cover ENSLAVED - Hordanes Land cover

We don't have this listed. Both parts were later released as EPs, which is how I listened to them on Spotify.

I like Emperor, but this was kind of boring. I suppose they were still developing their sound.
The Enslaved EP, Hordanes Land, was a lot better. More to hold my interest. The first track in 13 minutes long, but it's an absolute epic, so it doesn't seem overlong at all.

Terrorizer gave this 4. I'd give Enslaved 4, but Emperor is only getting a 2.5 here.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:03pm
MALEVOLENT CREATION - Stillborn cover
You can't go wrong with a Dan Seagrave cover! However, you can with the music when Roadrunner decides to go cheap on album production. There's a certain bite missing here. Brett Hoffman's vocals sound a bit weird and flat, which detracts a lot from the overall sound. There's nothing much wrong with the songs, they just don't rip your head off like the previous two albums do. A remix of this might improve it. Terrorizer gave this 2. I'm giving it 3.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 5:12pm
UNLEASHED - Across the Open Sea cover
I love Unleashed, and the first three albums are amazing as far as I'm concerned. 4 from Terrorizer, 4.5 from me.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 6:19pm
UNLEASHED POWER - Quintet of Spheres cover
Technical/progressive thrash. Not terribly exciting, despite a couple of outstanding tracks. Terrorizer rating 3, it's getting 2.5 from me.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 8:02pm
SEVENCHURCH - Bleak Insight cover
Very good for a little-known and long defunct band. I really like the vocals. An original sound instead of just copying Ozzy or Nick Holmes.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 8:44pm
Pan-Thy-Monium - Khaooohs
PAN.THY.MONIUM - Khaooohs cover
Let's just say I wasn't in the mood for that.Wink A bit too avant-garde for this time of day.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 10:31am
MERCYLESS - Coloured Funeral cover
Coloured Funeral by Mercyless. 

This is fucking amazing! I have never heard it before. A French death metal band from a time when French death was considered to be a bit of a joke. Most impressed! Terrorizer rated it 3.5. I went 4.5.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 11:48am
PYREXIA - Sermon of Mockery cover

Pyrexia - Sermon of Mockery
Blah. Bland ass Suffocation worship.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 12:37pm
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans cover
From dull assed shit to the divine. My Dying Bride are always amazing. I can't believe I have never listened to this one before. 4 from Terrorizer, 4.5 from me.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 1:09pm
CYCLONE TEMPLE - Building Errors in the Machine cover
I was expecting this to be better than it was. This is all just underwhelming and a bit boring. It's nothing that Exodus didn't do on Impact is Imminent. And the final bonus track proved that this band was no Anthrax or Mordred in the rapped vocals department. Terrorizer gave it 2, and I think they were spot on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic