MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Literature.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Literature.
    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:26pm
Was wondering what some of your guys' favorite books are? Favorite authors, genres? Series? What have you read, are reading and whatnot?

Currently I'm reading this:
Got past the poem section and am finally starting up on the stories! I have to say, he was certainly a great poet but I'm more curious of his short stories(the "classics" in particular, such as The Fall of the House of Usher and whatnot). I actually finished the poems and some of the stories years ago but never continued as it was too hard for me to do almost anything at the time. Now, I am going to see it through!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:48pm
White Fang

The Golden Torc (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #2) by Julian May

And currently listening to:
Calling Bullshit: The Art of Skepticism in a Data-Driven World by Carl T.  Bergstrom

And just finished:
Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike, #5) by Robert Galbraith

One book at a time often isn't enough. I mostly read Science Fiction, a bit of fantasy (I find most of it to be a bit shit though), biographies, history, and various other non-fictions. I got a couple of Penguin Classics cheap at Christmas, which is where the first couple came from.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:54pm
I've read several of Poe's stories, I remember liking Masque of the Red Death. Murders in the Rue Morgue was great until the end, what ends up being the culprit was just really disappointing and plain silly.

Most of what I read is historical fiction, I especially love I.J. Parker's novels set in Medieval Japan. I enjoy some of the Star Wars novels too, finished The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide fairly recently.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:56pm
My top authors: Dostoevsky, Faulkner, C.S. Lewis, Anthony Burgess, Philip K Dick, Strugatsky brothers.  Lately I've been into turn-of-the-century sci-fi/horror - H.G. Wells, Arthur Machen, Clark Ashton Smith.  There are lots more authors in that vein I've been keeping an eye out for but their stuff is hard to find.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 21 Jan 2021 at 10:59pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

H.G. Wells.

That reminds me, I love The Invisible Man, probably one of my favorite books I've read. I've been meaning to read War of the Worlds, haven't gotten around to it yet though.

Edited by Unitron - 21 Jan 2021 at 11:04pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

H.G. Wells.

That reminds me, I love The Invisible Man, probably one of my favorite books I've read. I've been meaning to read War of the Worlds, haven't gotten around to it yet though.

You'll love War of the Worlds if you like The Invisible Man. I have read The Time Machine, which is the first story in a big collection of his stories. Still haven't read any more of them yet. I also have an old copy of The Island of Dr Moreau which I haven't read yet.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 1:55am
These were some others I started several years ago, before that Poe book even:

as well as The Wheel of Time series(made it to book 4) and some book by Brandon Sanderson. Struggled to read at all really because of my recent "trauma" or whatever you would call it w/ psychedelics, at the time. To this day my mind is still a bit fucked up but I'm managing. I hope to complete all the books I started and so much more! As if it's not obvious by now my favorite genres are science-fiction, horror and fantasy. May look into others too! Oh yeah and I read 2 Odd Thomas books! Those were really good!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:03am
A few books out of date now, but I've posted my last 50 read on List Challenges: https://www.listchallenges.com/the-last-50-books-adam-read-01

Read since posting this and will be on my next Last 10 are:

Mons Kallentoft - Water Angels
Gary Gibson - Nova War
Brandon Sanderson - Rhythm of War
Gary Gibson - Empire of Light

Current book: Andrzej Sapkowski - Season of Storms. 

I also have a 'My Favourite Authors and Where to Start' list here: https://www.listchallenges.com/adams-favourite-authors

And about a year out of date now, every book that I have read (or at least, can remember reading): https://www.listchallenges.com/books-adam-has-read-24012020
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

H.G. Wells.

You'll love War of the Worlds if you like The Invisible Man. I have read The Time Machine, which is the first story in a big collection of his stories. Still haven't read any more of them yet. I also have an old copy of The Island of Dr Moreau which I haven't read yet.

The Island of Dr Moreau is excellent, one of his best
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 1:23am
Ordered 2 more books:
and

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 12:36pm
One author I'd like to check out eventually is Michael Moorcock. Seems like it'd be my cup of tea.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:20pm
Currently on Chapter 14 in The Eye of the World, the first book in the Wheel of Time series. Really enjoying it so far!
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:37pm
Never knew who Terry Goodkind was before watching this video but now I'll be sure to avoid his work like the plague. He sounds like a grade-A douche bag!Angry

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:31pm
Didn't know most of that, although I do actually remember the thing with the cover artist and his response. I read Goodkind for many years, as one of the first fantasy authors I was put onto and I always enjoyed his books. Eventually I had to give him up though. It got to the point that his work had just become a slog to read. I think one of the biggest problems with his Sword of Truth series was that he ended it once in 2007 after eleven books, then suddenly started writing more sequels and spin-offs that weren't really needed. 

He's dead now, by the way. About a year ago. Sounds like the fantasy community is better off for it. Not something I ever thought I'd say but it sounds like he was a really toxic individual. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 4:00pm
On Book 3 of The Wheel of Time now, The Dragon Reborn. Would've been further along but I seem to have "up" and "down" periods when it comes to reading. I've also recently started up book 1 of the Gentleman Bastard series, The Lies of Lock Lamora and book 1 of the Mistborn trilogy, The Final Empire(a.k.a. just Mistborn). Greatly enjoying all of them, so far.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 11:20am
Finished book 4 of The Wheel of Time series, 'The Shadow Rising'. Just started book 5 today, 'The Fires of Heaven'. This series gets progressively more interesting w/ each book, it just has me craving for more!
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 2:46pm
Forgot to mention but during one of my "down" periods, I restarted The Lies of Lock Lamora and abandoned reading Mistborn in favour of reading Gardens of the Moon instead. Not sure why I did that. In any case, just thought I'd give a heads up.

Edited by Psydye - 30 Aug 2022 at 2:49pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 12:34pm
Reading this very slowly - the book that started steampunk

Also slowly reading this. I like it a lot but just can't settle to reading at the moment.

Listening to this, but I'm not doing a lot of driving at the moment, so it's taking a while (that's where I listen to audiobooks)

This was so funny! A complete piss-take of LitRPG done by someone who obviously knows the genre inside out. Loved it a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic