0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enslaved Album Poll of 2020
    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 4:04pm
The last poll on MMA for Enslaved is two albums out of date now, so here's a 2020 update for them. I'm especially interested in what people say as I have a feeling Enslaved could become my next major discovery. I've been listening to them on and off for years but never really paying that much attention, but always with the nagging feeling that I should be much more into them. Certainly I've tended to rate the albums I've heard of theirs pretty high, especially the later ones.

I won't be voting on here myself (yet) because the only two albums that I have any recollection of are the two I streamed today, RIITIIR and Isa. Of those I lean toward Isa and I think it sucks that it doesn't seem readily available for UK purchase. 

I've previously heard Below the Lights, Axioma Ethica Odini and the first three. Not sure what the next step to exploring them should be. I'm sure everything will have a different suggestion on that!
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Introspekrieg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Introspekrieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 4:28pm
I'd recommend Vertebrae next, as that was a major transition in their sound. After that definitely check out Axioma Ethica Odini and Ruun. If you are still looking for more, I'd head towards the newer albums and possibly Below The Lights.

Edited by Introspekrieg - 09 Dec 2020 at 4:34pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 8:07am
I've still only heard like 4 of these, and nothing older than Isa, so no vote
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:35am
I´ve heard them all, and enjoy most of them, although the early releases aren´t really my cup of tea. From Isa and onwards, that´s the era I´m mostly interested in. Enslaved are quite brilliant, but there is one part of their music which is lacking and that´s the clean vocals. They are not badly performed, out of tune, or anything like that, but they are quite unremarkable and leave me a bit indifferent. Compare them to the clean vocals on albums by similar artists like Opeth and Hail Spirit Noir...hmm there´s really no competition. Live it´s even worse as the clean vocals sound a little like the insecure guy having to sing on the high school musical. A stronger clean vocalist would definitely make me appreciate Enslaved more. I sometimes have a problem with the raspy vocals too, but fortunately they´ve moved a little closer to death metal growling through the years and less black metal snarling, although they are still mostly black metal type vocals.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 1:11pm
Binged a lot of Enslaved today off of Spotify. Only four left to hear, but a whole lot of really getting familiar. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 1:43pm
Lots of contenders for their best but I'll go with Isa, with close competition from Below the Lights. Great band.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 1:52pm
So votes for Isa and Vertebrae - both good choices. In terms of what I’ve had most on recently and ignoring the new one, it would be Below The Lights, Riitiir and E. I’ll go for Lights.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 4:04pm
I voted for RIITIIR, brilliant album. I'd focus on Below The Lights and onwards first. The later you go, the more proggy they get. The earlier ones are worth exploring too - only got into that period myself in the last 5 years or so. Frost is probably my favourite of those early ones.

Edited by Nightfly - 10 Dec 2020 at 4:05pm
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 8:43pm
I'm a major Enslaved fan. I love all their albums although i think Blodhelm is the weakest which is still a 3.5 star album. It's just a little derivative of Eld whereas on all their other albums they are different. I'm happy to say i own every single Enslaved studio album except i haven't actually purchased the new one yet but have heard it a few times.

Top dogs in my world:
Mardraum
Monumension
Below The Lights
Isa
Riitiir

but i would highly recommend getting em all. They are all essential in my book.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 6:08am
Okay, finished streaming them all at least once though my streams of the first three were a while ago and not remembered now, but based on everything from their fourth onward, first impressions say the highlights for me are:

Below the Lights
Isa (just purchased this one on Discogs)
Axioma Ethica Odini
RIITIIR
In Times

Of course all this could change as I keep going through them, so no vote yet. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 8:09am
Axioma Ethica Odini is another of my favourites. Probably quite hard to find on CD now with the ltd ed 7" vinyl version but worth hunting down. 
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 1:27pm
Great band that I've heard every album by yet probably should still know better than I do. I reckon a few albums I've rated with 4 could easily be 4.5 or even 5's with more listens. At this point in time I'd have to throw my vote to Isa. It's the one I'm most familiar with. 
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 4:23pm
A bit difficult but I chose Monumension.

Edited by Prog Geo - 11 Apr 2021 at 12:10pm
Inexistence is the true normality.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic