MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Big 4 Debut Albums.

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What's your favorite out of these?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
11 [64.71%]
3 [17.65%]
3 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Big 4 Debut Albums.
    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 5:48am
I listened to Anthrax - debut album yesterday and I enjoyed it more than I expected. So I thought is there a poll about the debut albums of the Big 4, searched and search failed, as usual. 

So i'm gonna try and listen to all of them in the next couple of days. Nostalgia listen more or less. LOL

So choose your favorite and tell us why, or just leave a comment. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 6:35am
All had subsequent releases that blew the debuts away but for me the strongest of the first was Kill Em All. Viscous thrash with some early experimentation. It’s a good album. It’s also the only one of the four that I owned at the time it was still current.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:32am
Definitely Kill´em All for me. It´s not my favorite Metallica album, but it´s still a brilliant debut release. I can´t say that about any of the three other albums, although I´m a huge Slayer fanboy. I like Show No Mercy, but I don´t adore it like I worship Reign...to Seasons Slayer. Never had much interest in neither Anthrax nor Megadeth´s debut albums. Decent releases for sure, but much too speed/tradtional heavy metal oriented for my tastes. I enjoy their subsequent releases a lot more.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 10:42am
Kill'em All for me too. I also have the Slayer and Megadeth albums in my collection and liked both of them but never got round to getting the Anthrax one. Can't even remember what it sounds like now to be honest but of course all 4 bands soon improved on their sound.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:22am
Even though Megadeth is my least favourite of the four bands overall, I went with Killing is my Business... It was the last of the four to be released (Metallica had already done Ride The Lightning before this, which far outstrips it, but this is about debuts), so had the benefit of hindsight. It's got a thin production sound, but rather than being a drawback, it's an advantage, because it lets Mustaine's brilliance as a guitarist shine through. This is far more technical, and a little more mature, than the other three albums. While I'm not keen on the lyrics of Mechanix, it's a far better version of the song than The Four Horsemen, which is a song I generally skip when listening to Kill 'em All. And the uncensored version of These Boots has Mustaine at his snarly, angry best on vocals.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 12:00pm
Megadeth.

Megadeth's first three albums just have so much bite and Mustaine is just at his most pissed off and vengeful. Instrumentally the debut is pretty insane too, the rhythm section on that album blows my mind every time I listen to it. It's so frantic and jagged, almost makes me wonder if that's what mathcore would've sounded like had it been around in the 80's.

Kill 'em All is a close second, as that's a fantastic album too. Fistful of Metal is okay, but pales in comparison to every other Anthrax album. Never liked Show No Mercy beyond the song Die by the Sword. It's amazing just how much they improved in a year, as the Haunting the Chapel EP has some of their best stuff.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

All had subsequent releases that blew the debuts away but for me the strongest of the first was Kill Em All. Viscous thrash with some early experimentation. It’s a good album. It’s also the only one of the four that I owned at the time it was still current.

I actually think that's Anthrax's best album, but I also don't much like Anthrax

Show No Mercy was very influential in the development of black metal and that's what I voted, Megadeth close second

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

(Metallica had already done Ride The Lightning before this, which far outstrips it, but this is about debuts)

agreed

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 12 Nov 2020 at 8:07am
martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 9:22am
Yep, gotta go with Metallica on this one as well :D
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 5:40am
Metallica - Kill 'Em All, which is also the album that made me a metalhead. It was in 1991 or something. I actually was a fan of Europe's song The Final Countdown (I deem it as a metal song), and had met even thrash and death metal music in the '80s... But before listening to Kill 'Em All, I wasn't a real metal fan. 

My favourite songs off of Metallica's debut are: No Remorse and The Four Horsemen.
Iwan Ruby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwan Ruby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 1:03am
among all.. Metallica Kill 'Em All.. most sensational in my opinion, but their first album i listen to is Ride the Lightning
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 11:24pm
Had to go w/ Kill' em All. Slayer's would be a close 2nd though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic