MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Updating and Adding Canadian Bands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Updating and Adding Canadian Bands
    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 7:44am
Hello, folks!
I hope everyone is surviving the pandemic and whatever else your neighbourhood has going on.

My new personal project is to discover more Canadian bands, with a particular slant towards newer bands - basically bands that formed in the last ten to fifteen years.

Along the way I have found a pretty good starting collection, and as well as I've discovered a few older bands from the nineties who are still around. So, since this is holding my attention now, I figure I might just try to not only get some reviews up as the albums I've ordered start rolling in, but I'm also now updating discographies of bands who need updates (Bushwhacker and Sorciers des glaces so far - still working on the latter).

But I'd also like to add bands that I've found that aren't on here. Most of them are already on Encyclopedia Metallum. Some are not. I've listened to some of the music of all the bands I'm about to suggest either on BandCamp or YouTube. Plus, I'm going to suggest two bands I suggested earlier which I think were approved (there was a dialogue) but I never added because I got busy with other things (always happens).

So, here's my list. I'll be happy to add as many as I can if I get approval.

Black Wizard - heavy metal, hard rock (latest album "Livin' Oblivion")
Black Thunder - heavy psychedelic (not on E.M. but on BandCamp)
Dead Quiet - stoner/doom
Oni - prog metal / djent (There are three or four bands named Oni; this one is from Toronto)
Shooting Guns - psychedelic stoner / doom
Endless Chaos - tech death / thrash
Wasted Heretics - tech death
In Ruin - progressive metalcore (there are some bands with this name; this one is from Saskatoon) (not on E.M.)
In Darkness - heavy metal (not on E.M. or BandCamp but on YouTube and they have a web page and one album) (there are other bands with the same name; this one is from Regina)
Woodhawk - stoner metal (sound a bit like The Sword)
Biblical - not on E.M. Angry Metal Guy review calls their album punk / psychedelic / sludge / noise
Slik Toxik - hair metal / hard rock (sounds like Dangerous Toys) (not on E.M.)
Headpins - hard rock and later non-metal with that polished, radio-play sound of hard rock hair-pop of 1984-7 (this band was approved for hard rock maybe two or three years ago but I didn't add them)

Let me know if any of these bands should not be added. I'll wait to hear what responses I get from this post.
I might be asking about other bands later as I keep looking.
Cheers, all!

A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 7:47am
Biblical is on BandCamp, by the way. Four albums.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 12:01pm
That’s quite a list, Peter 😁 You’re free time add any bands you like for the most part, so long as they’re clearly metal or unequivocally hard rock or hardcore. Feel free to raise any doubts for a second opinion but we trust yours and the other collabs judgment. What should be referred are any marginal metal or hard rock bands, and bands you feel have some metal elements but aren’t fully fledged metal albums. (Metal related). These should always be consulted on with the admins. No bands should ordinarily be added to non-metal either, although you’re free to suggest bands. Heavy alternative rock bands should be referred too, as we don’t want alternative rock bands here unless we all agree that they’re heavy. And proto metal should be referred as well, but you’d get a vote / say in those as our proto-collaborator.

The upshot is that you’re free to add bands to most genres if you’re comfortable with the placing. Use tools like other metal sites, RYM, Bandcamp and Facebook for validation. But if in doubt, ask 😉
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 12:19pm
I remember Slik Toxik. Definitely fine for glam metal.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 5:57pm
That's great to know. Thanks for the feedback. I just didn't want to start adding bands and go over someone's head. I'd hate for someone to say, "Why wasn't I consulted?" when I really should have consulted a collab on a specific band or issue.

Yes, I found out about these bands by searching for metal bands in various provinces and territories of Canada and saw them mentioned on Kerrang lists of Canadian metal bands and albums you must have/hear, CBC news about a metal band or metal scene in one city, or Angry Metal Guy reviews. Then I looked them up here first and if they were not here I checked E.M. If they were not on either site, I looked up reviews and their BandCamp profiles and listened to bits of music to hear if I wanted to buy their stuff or not.

The only band I am in doubt about is Biblical. Their first three releases don't sound like metal to me. Only the recent album "The City That Always Sleeps" sounds heavier. The album was mentioned on a Kerrang list and in a review on Angry Metal Guy. But if anyone wants to give them a listen first, then I'll not be in a rush to add them. What genre would they be under?

As for the others, I'll work my way through as I can manage.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I remember Slik Toxik. Definitely fine for glam metal.

Awesome! Thanks! I have one album so I'd like to get them on here and write a review.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:16am
For some reason I was convinced Slik Toxik was here already, but evidently they are not. Weird. 

But yeah in line with what Chris has said, most subs allow free addition by all collabs regardless of their own teams. Some have some different rules i.e. metal subs need 50% metal material (judged per release) to be allowed to be included in them but hard rock and hardcore need a ballpark of around 65% of their genres, though 50% is also okay if there's a bit of actual metal in there too. 

Usually if a band has been accepted to EM they'll be OK here too, though the genre description on EM may be way off the mark, so watch out for that. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 8:16am
Descriptions way off the mark? Uh, oh. It's not like I know everything about subgenres. But I'll look around and see what the general consensus on styles. Thanks for the heads up!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 8:20am
They're mostly OK, but if you can check against somewhere else all the better. I often use Rate Your Music because their tags are user decided, but they can turn up some really odd decisions as well. Especially on deciding what is metal and what isn't. 

If in doubt you can always ask your fellow collabs in the relative team thread for a second opinion. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 9:12am
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'll be sure to snoop around to what the general consensus it. a lot of these bands I discovered on BandCamp, Kerrang's web site, Hellbound's web site, and Angry Metal Guy. So I'll have a few references to check.

I have since found several more bands to add. I'll do what I can when I can do it.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 9:20am
it all helps, Peter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic