Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:46pm
Artist: Immortal
Album: Pure Holocaust
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: Sometimes held up as the best Immortal album and that's probably true if you expect black metal sound cold, raw and necro. For me this brand on BM doesn't quite wash, though Pure Holocaust is a marked step up from their first album.

New Rating: No Change. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:53pm
Album: Battles in the North
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: In contrast to Pure Holocaust, Battles in the North seems to often be the early Immortal album that gets somewhat frowned upon by fans, or at least it did when I was discovering them. It does seem to enjoy a bit better reputation today. There are good reasons to look down upon Battles, at least as far as my personal copy goes: it has technical errors for a start, with the track cuts coming in the wrong place, always just after the song actually starts. The album sounds fucking rough even for black metal and not in the cold, necro way that kvlt BM fans adore. And yet this is my favourite of the early Immortal albums. It just fucking works for me on a level that the others don't. Even if the guys do look more ridiculous than usual on the cover. 

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Album: Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: There's the thing with me and Immortal: they are among my favourite black metal acts and were also among the first black metal acts I bought anything by. But I don't think that Immortal become a really excellent band until At the Heart of Winter, though there are stronger entries in their early career. This debut I've never felt was one of them, although it does hit a certain spot when in the right mood.

I have never been too impressed with this album myself.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:25pm

Album: Battles in the North

Verdict: In contrast to Pure Holocaust, Battles in the North seems to often be the early Immortal album that gets somewhat frowned upon by fans, or at least it did when I was discovering them. It does seem to enjoy a bit better reputation today. There are good reasons to look down upon Battles, at least as far as my personal copy goes: it has technical errors for a start, with the track cuts coming in the wrong place, always just after the song actually starts. The album sounds fucking rough even for black metal and not in the cold, necro way that kvlt BM fans adore. And yet this is my favourite of the early Immortal albums. It just fucking works for me on a level that the others don't. Even if the guys do look more ridiculous than usual on the cover. 

Love this album and Blizzard Beasts. I don't really need much more Immortal outside those two albums.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:27pm
Historically I haven't been a big fan of Blizzard Beasts, but we'll see how that goes when I resume the Immortal run.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:30pm
Possibly part of the reason I love Blizzard Beasts is that it was the first Immortal album I got and I thrashed it a bit, so I got quite attached to it.Wink
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 4:57pm

Album: Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: There's the thing with me and Immortal: they are among my favourite black metal acts and were also among the first black metal acts I bought anything by. But I don't think that Immortal become a really excellent band until At the Heart of Winter, though there are stronger entries in their early career. This debut I've never felt was one of them, although it does hit a certain spot when in the right mood.

This is my favorite Immortal album after Sons of Northern Darkness. I'm not really much of a black metal fan, but something about this album really does nail the winter atmosphere that hits the spot on a snowy day. I'm probably the only one who'd say this, but it's a really homey sit by the fireplace kind of album for me.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 2:59am
Album: Blizzard Beasts
Old Rating: 3/5

Verdict: Okay I think I have probably sold this one a bit short over all these years. I think part of my problem was that I was quite young when I got this and at that age expected more quantity for my money, this not even being a full half an hour long which seemed ridiculous for a full length album. But the material's generally solid.

New Rating: 4/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 3:53am
Album: At the Heart of Winter
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: For me this is the point that Immortal got really good. It's also their most substantial album despite only having six songs and I think it has a marked improvement on song-writing. It's also the first time they didn't plaster themselves over their cover like some wanna be pop stars. I feel a lot of nostalgia for this album and it sounds as good as ever. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 8:28am
Album: Damned in Black

Verdict: Immortal goes a bit thrashy on this sixth studio album. For me Damned in Black is an underrated one in their discography, perhaps because it's sandwiched between their best two albums. Indeed it's not quite as special as either of those, but this is still Immortal close to the top of their game. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 11:46am
Artist: Grave Digger
Album: Ballads of a Hangman
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: Not my most played Grave Digger album, but a pretty solid release. That's true of most of their work, with a few standout exceptions and luckily only a couple of lesser releases. I guess this one's about in the middle for them.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 11:53am
Artist: Deadlock
Album: Wolves

Verdict: Deadlock is one of those bands where I'm always glad that I own this album but at the same time and content to own just this album. Kind of a one is all you need group. I have heard other stuff they've done but they never released anything else to change my mind about this. Of course it didn't help that on their next album they stuck a song which suddenly turned from their usual metalcore tinged melodeath into a pure hip-hop track that sounded like two very different artist's albums suddenly got mixed up in the studio. Actually they do that here as well, but with techno, which somehow works. The next album made me think they'd lost the plot though and while later records weren't that bad, they haven't really made anything of note since ever. One is all you, or at least, I, need.

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 12:25pm
I kept seeing those Immortal albums popping up and thinking "ooh, that's a fucking good one too!" I just figured out I know and like Immortal more than I thought!LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I kept seeing those Immortal albums popping up and thinking "ooh, that's a fucking good one too!" I just figured out I know and like Immortal more than I thought!LOL

I sometimes forget how much I like Immortal and I have all their albums bar the most recent (which I really need to pick up). 

Like many bands I've listened to for that long a time, they'd be much higher on my Last.fm charts if they went back a few more years. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 8:15am
Album: Sons of Northern Darkness
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: For seven years the final Immortal album, but at least they went out with a band at the time with one of their best albums. Sons of Northern Darkness continues the thrash-edged black metal of Damned in Black, and opens with what must be their most anthemic song: One By One, which I'm pretty sure is the track most people discover Immortal through these days. This one is a real must have album. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:10am
Album: Heart of Darkness

Verdict: I feel like I overlook this one sometimes, but Heart of Darkness is still very much a part of a very impression run of albums in the 1990s for Grave Digger. I always manage to confuse their song Shadowmaker with Running Wild's much later one though, perhaps due to them also having an album called that. Makes a poor RW album more memorable than it actually is and then I put this on and think 'oh shit, that's a Grave Digger song is it?' Every damn time.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:12am
Album: The Reaper

Verdict: Grave Digger's comeback album after the ill fated commercial turn as Digger, the inaptly named Stronger Than Ever, The Reaper is perhaps the most speed metal styled album of Grave Digger (the debut may also be an contender for that), as they morph into the power metal band they remain to this day. An energetic and fun record. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:20am
Album: All Shall Fall

Verdict: The first of Immortal's two comebacks and the final album with Abbath (short of a future reconciliation with Demonaz) removes the thrashy sound of the end of their original run and sticks to the basics of black metal. I was initially more lukewarm to All Shall Fall compared to other Immortal albums, but over time I've warned up to it considerably and now consider it a fine work. I assumed this one would be a drop to a 4 before relistening to it but it's one of those albums that is always better than you credit it for. 

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 8:28am
^ I have around 5 Immortal albums and they're one if not the favourite black metal band for me. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 12:37am
They're certainly among those I've listened to the longest. I sometimes overlook them today because like most of the bands I've liked the longest time most of my listening was done pre-Last.fm and so Immortal aren't actually as high on my charts as they could be. Mind you that's also true of lots of BM bands I love that I've listened to since having it due to common low track totals. Last.fm charts are never truly accurately reflect one's appreciate for an act. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
  Share Topic