Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Paradise Lost
Album: Lost Paradise
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: The most old school death metal of all Paradise Lost albums, making their very first a unique entry in their discography, a feat they would go on to repeat multiple times. Though I only started listening to Paradise Lost a few years ago, they quickly become one of my favourite bands. Lost Paradise doesn't represent the very best they can do, but it's a great start to an impressive and varied discography. 

New Rating: No Change. 

This was something of a revelation when it first came out, but then it was quickly overshadowed by Gothic, which is a shame.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:30am
Artist: Wuthering Heights
Album: To Travel For Evermore
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: While it's perfectly natural to consider the Nils Patrik Johansson fronted Wuthering Heights, their second album and last with singer Kristian AndrĂ©n has always stood out to be as being one of the band's best albums, second only to its follow-up Far From the Madding Crowd. Like many albums here it's been far too long since I last played To Travel for Evermore (2017 according to Last.fm), but it's a sign of a good album that I still remember it so completely after all this time. I must try to put a review out for this on MMA, since it has none.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:42am
Album: Gothic
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: Gothic is very similar in style to Lost Paradise and not the jump to gothic metal that the name may imply for Paradise Lost (that doesn't come for a couple of albums yet). For me this is a step up from the debut because the debut tends to blur together a little, whereas this contains what I feel are Paradise Lost's first standout tracks; the title track and Eternal. My biggest issue with the album is its sound quality, at least on my copy of it. It's not very good compared to every other Paradise Lost CD that I own, especially noticeable when playing random mp3s from them. The tracks from this that I have on the compilation Reflection have a much stronger production sound. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:33am
Album: Shades of God

Verdict: A transitional album between the early death-doom Paradise Lost and the gothic metal incarnation that was to follow, which actually makes Shades of God one of the the band's most unique sounding albums. The band's song-writing is becoming more memorable with every release and of the early period this is currently my favourite. 

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:28am

Album: Gothic

Verdict: Gothic is very similar in style to Lost Paradise and not the jump to gothic metal that the name may imply for Paradise Lost (that doesn't come for a couple of albums yet). For me this is a step up from the debut because the debut tends to blur together a little, whereas this contains what I feel are Paradise Lost's first standout tracks; the title track and Eternal. My biggest issue with the album is its sound quality, at least on my copy of it. It's not very good compared to every other Paradise Lost CD that I own, especially noticeable when playing random mp3s from them. The tracks from this that I have on the compilation Reflection have a much stronger production sound. 

Everyone lost their shit over this when it came out because it had... FEMALE VOCALS!Shocked

I have a reissue of it, which has a live bonus disc. The sound and production seem OK. Maybe you should try hunting that down?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:51am
If I saw a reissue cheap enough I'd probably pick it up, though the sound issues aren't so noticeable when I play the actual disc on its own. I only picked up on it when I made a playlist of the songs they played when I saw them live, which included Eternal, and I had to crack the volume to hear it properly compared to every other track. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:53am
Album: Icon

Verdict: Paradise Lost makes the jump from Doom to Gothic and with this relisten I make a jump from 4.5 to 5 stars. Perhaps this change away from extreme metal wasn't met well by old school fans, but I certainly find Icon one of the band's best albums. 

New Rating: 5/5
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 11:31am

Album: Icon

Verdict: Paradise Lost makes the jump from Doom to Gothic and with this relisten I make a jump from 4.5 to 5 stars. Perhaps this change away from extreme metal wasn't met well by old school fans, but I certainly find Icon one of the band's best albums. 

I'd consider myself an old school fan, in that I had all the previous albums. Personally, I still loved this, but I've always been in somewhat of an insular bubble with few real life metal acquaintances. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 3:54pm
Artist: Alice in Chains
Album: Dirt

Verdict: I've never quite been able to bring myself to give Dirt five stars and that doesn't change this time around. I am an oddball where Alice in Chains are concerned as I consider Black Gives Way to Blue to be their best album, which is pretty much a sacrilegious opinion where some fans of the band are concerned, considering it's post-Layne. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:11am
Artist: Toby Driver
Album: In The L..L..Library Loft
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: This is certainly an album that those who really know my taste may be surprised that I have (I mean I have this but no Kayo Dot, come on right?) but this represents one of my most unusual second hand shop finds as well as a cautionary tale in regard to not being liberal with MMA tagging. You see when I noticed this album I immediately recognised the name Toby Driver and knew of this album and that it had been filed under Avant-Garde Metal on MMA. It was an instant buy. So imagine my surprise when I listened to it that it really wasn't that metal at all, just a few scattered elements here and there within music that wasn't even rock. As it happens I did somewhat enjoy the album and all these years later have found a bit more appreciation for it even though this will never be something that I listen to very often, but still, it's something to bear in mind with why we need to have our tags right here. 

New Rating: 4/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:10am
Album: Alice in Chains (AKA Tripod)

Verdict: The self-titled Alice in Chains album is the one that, out of those I own, is the one I've short-changed the most, not counting the EPs. This is actually pretty good for the most part, though not up to their best stuff either. It could perhaps grow on me even more if I just spun it more often, but AiC does tend to be one of those bands I go for long periods without listening to at all. 

GG2U

MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:22am

Album: Alice in Chains (AKA Tripod)

Verdict: The self-titled Alice in Chains album is the one that, out of those I own, is the one I've short-changed the most, not counting the EPs. This is actually pretty good for the most part, though not up to their best stuff either. It could perhaps grow on me even more if I just spun it more often, but AiC does tend to be one of those bands I go for long periods without listening to at all. 

I'm a bit like that with this one. It's like if you get the hankering for AiC with Layne you reach for Facelift and Dirt and then this one if those haven't sated you. Or you might just listen those again first.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:43pm
Artist: Lauxnos
Album: My Dead Ocean

Verdict: I picked this atmospheric black metal album up blind to make another purchase worthwhile on P&P. I haven't listened to it very often, but it's a fine enough ABM album. Nothing revolutionary, but worth having. Very obscure too. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 5:16am
Artist: Lovebites
Album: Electric Pentagram

Verdict: I'm really just including this in this blog because A) it was in my collection when I started this and B) it's been out since January but everything I want to say about this is going to be in a proper review that will be posted shortly. For now, just a rating change, which is happening a lot with albums once they get out of the honeymoon period. 

New Rating: 4.5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:50am
Album: Draconian Times

Verdict: Long held up and the band's finest work and while I often find myself of a different opinion with bands I like when fans collectively say that (for instance I think Ride the Lightning is better than Master of Puppets or that Somewhere Far Beyond is better than Nightfall in Middle-Earth), here I find myself forced to agree. While it's style is pretty much the same as the also excellent Icon, Draconian Times is a Paradise Lost album that for me has no weak song, every one of them as powerful and memorable as the next and it's just one of those albums that seems to always keep getting better. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 4:14am
Artist: Beyond the Bridge
Album: The Old Man and The Spirit

Verdict: A damn fine prog metal debut here from a band that showed hell of a lot of promising for the coming decade when it dropped in 2012...yet it's still their 'current' album. A real shame.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 4:17am
Artist: Bruce Dickinson
Album: The Chemical Wedding

Verdict: It's too easy to overlook Bruce's solo work and just listen to Iron Maiden, but his last two studio albums certainly deserve to be included among the best heavy metal albums I've ever heard (and I really should try to hear Accident of Birth!). 

Edited by adg211288 - 21 Oct 2020 at 11:38am
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:39am
^ that one is a great album.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 5:54am
Artist: Alestorm
Album: Captain Morgan's Revenge

Verdict: Ask most metalheads and they will tell you, Pirate Metal isn't actually a thing. The thing is this here album represents actual evidence that this statement doesn't have to be strictly true and it's not even got anything to do with the fact that Alestorm sing about pirates: they sound like a pack scurvy sea dogs too, but most of the land lubbers that make up the world's population of metalheads sadly don't seem to realise just how genre founding Captain Morgan's Revenge actually sounds, from Bowes pirate drawl that in any other band probably wouldn't pass as good vocals, to the sound of the keys and the overall vibe of sea shanties in their songs, the album has new folk metal sub-genre written all over it. And it was fucking awesome. 

It's a pity that most didn't appreciate it as more than a bit of humour and a novelty, none less so perhaps than Alestorm themselves, who steadily began to delve more into comedy for their lyrics and while they remain hilarious entertaining to this day, their status as genre pioneers has since fallen into heavy dispute. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 9:31am
Album: One Second

Verdict: Paradise Lost start to enter their goth rock phase, but this one is still pretty heavy on the guitars with it. Historically I've tended to cap this album at 4 stars because it's a bit outside of my usual interests and it was also one of the first two I got from them and I was listening to the other one, In Requiem, a whole lot more, but I've grown to really appreciate this one over time. Perhaps a step down from Draconian Times, but still a great record and another unique Paradise Lost album entry.

New Rating: 4.5/5
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>
  Share Topic