Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:55am
Artist: Touchstone
Album: Wintercoast
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: Hard to believe this album is over ten years old already. Easily the best of the Touchstone albums (I was disappointed with their last album) this is modern progressive rock with hard rock sensibilities and a metallic edge. Great stuff that sounds as fresh today as it did a decade ago.

New Rating: No Change. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 7:14am
Artist: Ayreon
Album: Actual Fantasy Revisited
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: The most un-Ayreon album that has been released as an Ayreon album with only three vocalists, if Arjen Lucassen released something like this today it would most likely get another project's name on it. I know I have been overly critical of Actual Fantasy (by which I do strictly mean the partially re-recorded Revisited version, I don't have the original) in the past because of this, which isn't really fair. While it's not mind-blowing in any way and is the weakest Ayreon studio album, it is still pretty solid progressive metal for what it is.

New Rating: 4/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 4:27pm
Artist: Tad Morose
Album: Modus Vivendi
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: Years ago a mare and I had a real thing for the Tad Morose track Anubis, which is the opener of their then latest album (it was for a long time their latest album) Modus Vivendi. That's a really great song I still think to this day. In my case I eventually picked up a copy of the album and well, it never resonated as much as I always felt it should have and it remained the only Tad Morose album I ever bought. This re-listen hasn't made me want to change that. It's solid and enjoyable heavy/power metal with a few standout songs, but it doesn't get the blood boiling.

New Rating: No Change, just. May still drop this to 3.5 to be honest. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:49am
Artist: Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult
Album: Hora Nocturna

Verdict: The only Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (that's really quite a mouthful of a name!) album I own. Not ideal to be honest, but their work tends to be hard to get in these parts. Hora Nocturna is one of my favourite straight up black metal records, balancing a cold, evil sound with decent song-writing that makes their songs memorable and satisfying so they transcend the whole 'raw for the sake of raw' trap that many of their genre-mates do.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 4:50am
Artist: Pharaoh
Album: The Longest Night

Verdict: I've had this one a long time. It is easily the finest of the Pharaoh albums. A great song and several tracks that deserve to be recognised as metal classics like By the Night Sky and I Am the Hammer. The Longest Night is easily a USPM classic. I feel like maybe not many people know of this band as should do though, despite the fact that their singer is Tim Aymer who worked with Chuck Schuldiner in Control Denied, which is a pretty massive connection to go so ignored. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:28am
Artist: Purson
Album: In the Meantime
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: A fun little EP from Purson that in the end showed itself to be something of a transitional release between their two studio albums. Wasn't the easiest thing to get a hold of for a reasonable price since there's a tendency to change about as much for an EP as a full album in the UK, but I eventually managed to secure a copy of this one.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:32am
Artist: Purson
Album: The Circle and the Blue Door

Verdict: Now here's one I've listened to a lot. It's in my top 30 most played on Last.fm. This debut album is Purson's most hard rock (heavy psych) based work, though there's also a lot of music here that would fall outside of what we look for on MMA. It's an addictive album regardless of style though. Easily an all time favourite.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:30am
Artist: Within Temptation
Album: The Unforgiving

Verdict: This is the kind of album that I could very easily hate based on my taste in symphonic metal, but is actually one of my favourites in the genre and certainly the best of Within Temptation. Yes, is poppy. Fucking poppy in fact. But it's also quite epic in its own way and a joy to listen to. The band started to lose me a bit with their next album and to this day haven't been brave enough to check out their latest, but this one is very special to me.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:33am
Artist: Bruce Dickinson
Album: Tyranny of Souls

Verdict: You don't hear people talk about Bruce's solo output even half as much as you do Iron Maiden. Personally I've always found what I have of his solo work patchy, but his later offerings have always been heavy metal gold to me. I see Tyranny of Souls as an album worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as many of Maiden's best works. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:31am
Artist: Death
Album: Leprosy

Verdict: Until very recently (meaning the last few days!) this was the only Death album I owned. It took me about 12 years to buy a second one (Symbolic). And I honestly don't know why that is, having played Symbolic a few times already since it dropped through the letterbox and now having just gone back to revisit Leprosy, because both these (very different) albums kick absolute arse! Coincidentally Leprosy was the first 'normal' death metal album I bought (the earlier ones being either melodic, tech or progressive based DM) and it retained that distinction for a long time. I was always more of a black metal guy even then I guess. I have more appreciation for death metal today than I did then and I'd very much like to acquire the bulk of Death's work beyond the two now.

New Rating: 5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 11:00am
Artist: Savatage
Album: Hall of the Mountain King

Verdict: For some reason this album is often held up as the crowning jewel of USPM and I've never been able to hear why. The title track is very good and none of it is bad, but it generally doesn't get my blood boiling in any way. Just one of those 'classics' that I felt obligated to pick up when the opportunity arose (the only other Savatage CD I own is the From the Gutter to the Stage compilation). I've never been blown away by the album (I'll acknowledge it's a solid 4 star release, but there are a lot of solid 4 star releases in the world) and this re-visit did nothing to change my mind. Overrated. 

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Death
Album: Leprosy

Verdict: Until very recently (meaning the last few days!) this was the only Death album I owned. It took me about 12 years to buy a second one (Symbolic). And I honestly don't know why that is, having played Symbolic a few times already since it dropped through the letterbox and now having just gone back to revisit Leprosy, because both these (very different) albums kick absolute arse! Coincidentally Leprosy was the first 'normal' death metal album I bought (the earlier ones being either melodic, tech or progressive based DM) and it retained that distinction for a long time. I was always more of a black metal guy even then I guess. I have more appreciation for death metal today than I did then and I'd very much like to acquire the bulk of Death's work beyond the two now.

This was my first death metal album too, which I bought in 1990.Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 3:17am
Artist: Forest Silence
Album: Philosophy of Winter

Verdict: It's certainly an unusual narrative for someone's personal journey in black metal starts with something that few must have heard of, but that was the case for me and Forest Silence, who to this day still have only made this single full-length album from 2006. I'd say this is one of, maybe the only time, that a track featured on a compilation changed the way I viewed music and expanded my taste. This gave me a lot of nostalgia to revisit again. I should see about digging out that compilation as well and getting it added to MMA. 

Edited by adg211288 - 12 Sep 2020 at 3:19am
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Savatage
Album: Hall of the Mountain King

Verdict: For some reason this album is often held up as the crowning jewel of USPM and I've never been able to hear why. The title track is very good and none of it is bad, but it generally doesn't get my blood boiling in any way. Just one of those 'classics' that I felt obligated to pick up when the opportunity arose (the only other Savatage CD I own is the From the Gutter to the Stage compilation). I've never been blown away by the album (I'll acknowledge it's a solid 4 star release, but there are a lot of solid 4 star releases in the world) and this re-visit did nothing to change my mind. Overrated. 

I love that album. The guitar sound is awesome! A 5 star for me and I don't give that many stars very often.

Edited by Nightfly - 12 Sep 2020 at 9:08am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:35am
So I took a plunge today that I've known I was going to have to do at some point and split my collection up into a main collection (A) which is displayed and a secondary collection (B) that's had to be tucked away. It's made me about half a shelf back where new purchases will be able to go. There are some albums in the B collection that I certainly need to feature in this blog yet and will eventually, though the focus has mostly turned to favoured bands and old favourites compared to what the original intent of this was. Likewise there are some that I kept in A that maybe could have gone to B, but something held me back. But when that half a shelf is getting close to full again those could be in trouble. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:56am
Artist: ReVamp
Album: Wild Card

Verdict: ReVamp is one of those bands who have a real 'what might have been' thing surrounding them. Wild Card, their second and final album, is the reason why. If anyone were to ask me which album they should listen to for the defining Floor Jansen album, I wouldn't give them an After Forever album or a Nightwish album. I'd give them this one. The final offering from a promising modern progressive metal band who became defunct when the world's biggest symphonic metal band poached their singer and then went on to release an album which was really restrained on her vocal abilities (in contrast in full use here with a range from death growls to full soprano), which was a decent enough if uninspiring Nightwish album (after their own most adventurous album Imaginaerum), but far from fair compensation for the death of ReVamp. Yeah, I'm feeling bitter over that still, so much so that I haven't even bothered to listen to Nightwish's latest album yet. I'd rather listen to Wild Card, which continues to impress and even get better over time.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 3:00am
Artist: Kobra and the Lotus
Album: Kobra and the Lotus

Verdict: An excellent power metal album from Kobra and the Lotus. I had a point where I was listening to this band a lot, but then one weaker album came along and I lost track of them. This one shows just how good they can be though.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 3:07am
Artist: Liege Lord
Album: Master Control

Verdict: I don't know why I don't already have a 5/5 on this. Master Control is one of the most essential USPM albums out there. There's really not much more needs to be said about it than that. Maybe that they do a really mean cover of Rainbow's Kill the King.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 4:05am
Artist: Symphony X
Album: Twilight in Olympus

Verdict: The first Symphony X album I bought. I've had this one a long time. It was always the one that stood out the most to me when I was getting into them, which was around the time that they released Paradise Lost. I've come to see Twilight in Olympus as one of the most underrated albums that Symphony X have done, especially in terms of their own work. It remains my favourite to this day.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 5:16am
Artist: Blind Guardian
Album: Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Old Rating: 4.0/5

Verdict: I've never understood the faction of fans who claim this as the best Blind Guardian album, not when it follows such masterpieces like Somewhere Far Beyond and Imaginations From the Other Side, but I did find myself enjoying Nightfall in Middle-Earth a bit more than usual on this spin. Blind Guardian is my favourite band, so this has still always been a 4 star album for me, but I have historically put it more lower end (if not last) in terms of my personal preferences. I think its all the narration. It may end up more in the middle now though, but I can't bring myself to give this five stars at this point in time.

New Rating: 4.5/5

Edited by adg211288 - 21 Sep 2020 at 5:16am
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 22>
  Share Topic