Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 3:52am
Artist: Akercocke
Album: Antichrist
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: I sometimes legitimately forget that I own this. It was actually one of the first death metal records I purchased - something I also tend to forget when I think back through my journey through death metal. I also forget how good it is, since it's not an album I spin very often and I don't own anything else by them. These then tweed suit wearing extreme metallers have some odd elements in their music and are much more progressive than they've ever really been given credit for, notably being absent from PA despite them having accepted the likes of the decidedly un-prog Nightwish as a fully blown progressive metal band, long before Imaginaerum gave them a case. Just looking at some of the individual song tags on RYM should give you clue that they were no ordinary death metal act: Death Industrial, Electronic, Post-Punk, Dark Folk, Avant-Garde Metal, Neoclassical Darkwave, Rital Ambient and Gothic Metal, it's all there in at least one song. Their growls were among some of the most incomprehensible I've ever heard though. Akercocke later split after this album but reformed a few years ago and made a comeback, though I've never checked it out. According to RYM, they returned as even more of a prog act. Still not on PA though. Anyway, this is definitely an album I've neglected a lot. It's pretty fucking great. My review from years on this is likely very inaccurate now.

New Rating: 4.5/5
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:59am
Artist: Аркона (Arkona)
Album: Храм (Khram)
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: The first step on a planned rewinding revisit of the Arkona albums I own, it's actually a case where a metal band's music has become less accessible as they've gone along. The first time their music has been more fully in the pagan black metal camp than folk metal and with songs concentrating on long running times, Khram is far from an easy listen. I like it a lot, but it's damn difficult even today and a far cry from the lively Slavic folk metal that made me a fan of the band in the first place.

New Rating: No Change. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Nile
Album: Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka

Verdict: I left Nile's debut for last for a reason. I think this is objectively their most underdeveloped album: a real case of a band still finding their sound. It's still pretty solid stuff, but the work of a band that would come on by leaps and bounds after this. 

This is my favourite still, possibly because it's a bit under-developed. The albums after this are crisper and tighter, but I love the rough around the edges sound. In The Beginning is a collection of demos from before this album and is rougher still, but shows promise, and shows the roots of a lot of the songs here.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:20am
Album: Явь (Yav)

Verdict: Easily the Arkona album that hasn't held up too well because with the hindsight of a further release, it's clear that Yav was very much a transitional album for the band from the sound they'd had on their last few albums to what fully emerged with Khram. It's still a solid release and at the time of release I was one of Yav's biggest defenders because it was different, which the band probably needed to be at that point. I don't rule out finding a new appreciation for it one day, but it hasn't happened yet. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:45am
Artist: MorningStarlett
Album: MorningStarlett
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: The year was 2012. Some folks thought the world was going to end (on my birthday no less). It didn't, which was good for a lot of reasons, not least among them that the self-titled debut album of MorningStarlett wouldn't be their only release...oh wait it's nearly ten years later and it's still their only release.

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Still, this little known album from the American band (founded by Blue Öyster Cult guitarist Richie Castellano), at least have one of the best heavy metal albums ever made to their name.

Yeah, you read that right. 

I actually play this one quite a lot, so I'm surprised in almost 300 albums not written about for The Great Collection Rediscovery that it hasn't been featured yet. Just go check the damn thing out already. 

New Rating: No Change, but it's a 6/5 in my heart. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 6:44am
Artist: Opeth
Album: Watershed

Verdict: Who would have thought back in 2008 that this would be the last album of the classic Opeth sound? Not me, that's for sure. I guess in hindsight the signs were there, with only three of its seven songs using growls, but always thought that was balanced out by the simple existence of Heir Apparent, which is easily more death metal than anything on Ghost Reveries. 

I guess post-Watershed Opeth lost some fans. I wasn't amongst them, but I do miss the classic sound sometimes. I actually found Watershed on this re-listen to be even better than I remembered it and I'm actually itching to play it again already. 

New Rating: 5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 6:48am
Album: Sorceress

Verdict: Much more metallic than they'd been for a while, I think Sorceress is the point where I really started to get into Opeth's new sound. I liked Heritage but Pale Communion took a long while to click (or even be bought by me). This is the one that helped me to find a new appreciation for Pale Communion and it's an all round great album. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 11:04am
Albums: Deliverance & Damnation
Old Ratings: Both 4.5/5

Verdict: I thought it made sense to write about these two together. Deliverance is for me easily Opeth's heaviest work and Damnation is still surprisingly easily their lightest despite the permeant change to a prog rock direction from Heritage onward. I really like both of these albums and I think that Deliverance especially is one that's aged really well. There is great stuff on both though and they really do work well as contrasting releases. 

New Ratings: No Change to either. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 12:41pm
Four great Opeth albums. I actually struggled with Heritage more than Pale Communion. For me Sorceress was a real return to form. Not sure if you’ve had the opportunity to see them live but the death vocals are still very evident live.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 12:46pm
I have seen them live. In 2008. Feels a looooooong time ago now. I've watched Garden of the Titans recently though.
GG2U

BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:10pm
I love Watershed dearly. Always found it had more of a whacky nature than other Opeth albums.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 2:53am
Album: My Arms, Your Hearse

Verdict: Historically an Opeth album I've not counted among their best, this revisit opened it up a lot more for me. Though I have to say that I still don't get the fixation a lot of fans seem to have on Demon of the Fall. It has never struck me as being among Opeth's best tracks, let alone the best. 

New Rating: 4.5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 2:56am
Album: Слово (Slovo)

Verdict: Initially an album I liked just as much as the three directly before it, Arkona's Slovo hasn't aged that well for me and today seems like just a solid record from a band that have the ability to do better. 

New Rating: 4/5
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 4:06pm
Watershed is my favourite Opeth album. I love the last 2 albums but when I compare them to the best of the "old" Opeth they're not in the same league. They're a totally different band now of course and an excellent one at that but I have my doubts I'll ever hear anything new again from them as good as Watershed, Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Still Life.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:28am
Artist: Panopticon
Album: Kentucky

Verdict: For an album that I seem to play a lot, I'm surprised it's taken this long to get featured here. Kentucky is easily my favourite Panopticon album. He hasn't made anything else that's quite like this one with it's alternating mix of black metal and bluegrass. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:31am
Album: Гой, Роде, гой! (Goi, Rode, Goi!)

Verdict: Probably my favourite of the Arkona albums, although the one prior to this is also a contender (as may be the one before that). This is a real beefy folk metal album, running almost 80 minutes and for me is a genre classic. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:28am
Artist: Yhdarl
Album: Loss

Verdict: A band that has mostly operated in the drone metal genre (which I don't enjoy), on Loss Yhdarl instead played atmospheric black metal. It's a solid album, but I don't feel that I listen to this one or even think about it enough to keep it on a 4.5.

New Rating: 4/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 4:12am
Artist: Anathema
Album: Alternative 4

Verdict: This one's pretty good rock with some heavier moments still hinting at their roots. Probably one of the better Anathema albums for me. I'm liking this band more the second time around but they don't look to ever be the running for being a favourite.

Also, this marks 300 albums since this project started!

GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:22am
It's a good album. Some time since I've listened to Anathema though. I'll have to correct that.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:50am
Artist: Mortillery
Album: Origin of Extinction

Verdict: One of my most played thrash metal albums surely, especially from modern bands. The song F.O.A.D. is about as immature as it always was (though is quite the anthem), but overall it's a very fun thrash record with a classic heavy metal edge. 

New Rating: 5/5
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
  Share Topic