Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 6:05am
Artist: Arch Enemy
Album: Doomsday Machine
Old Rating: 3/5

Verdict: The first Arch Enemy album I bought and it's ironically the one I look back least fondly on out of those I've got. This re-listen actually went a little better than expected, but I generally still find this one of the weaker Arch Enemy records and since I've had it for so long it's going to take more one 'better than expected' re-listen to get me to up my rating on what it's been for years.

New Rating: No Change.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 6:09am
Album: Wages of Sin
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: Wages of Sin, Arch Enemy's first album with Angela Gossow as vocalist, is not one I tend to play very often and I really don't know why, as this is surely one of the stronger records of theirs that I own. It's not quite the same ilk that resulted in records like Rise of the Tyrant and War Eternal, but some might find it better for it. So far though it's the only record I own from them where I'm changing my rating for the better.

New Rating: 4.5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 8:50am
Album: Stigmata
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: This is the only one of theirs I own with Johan Liiva on vocals. I don't mind him, but do consider his growl the weakest they've had, although reports of him being crap when Angela first joined were always greatly exaggerated. This is one of their best albums for me more through the quality of the tracks than the vocals though. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 10:29am
Artist: Scar Symmetry
Album: Pitch Black Progress

Verdict: When I want a bit of melodic death metal (not a mood that strikes me that often) I usually fall back on the better albums of Arch Enemy, but I also own an album or two from various other bands, including a couple from Scar Symmetry, who are probably band I should explore more, since Pitch Black Progress is a really great record. I also have the one after this, but I haven't played it as much, so that's going to be an interesting re-listen. This one is as strong as ever though, balancing deep growling vocals and melodic cleans that make it as catchy as any power metal record. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:21am
Artist: Beyond Creation
Album: The Aura

Verdict: Beyond Creation represents my kind of tech-death: progressively inclined with an ample helping of fretless bass work. While the individual songs tend to blur together a bit for me - a problem I have in death metal in general beyond some few very special exceptions, as a complete experience this band is pretty much tailor made for me, although they aren't a group I have returned to that often, this marking this one's first spin since 2016. It probably deserves to be played more though. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 9:46am
Artist: Bloodbath
Album: The Fathomless Mastery

Verdict: Now here's a band that I should really listen to more from. And an album I own that I really should play more often. Not only does like one have Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt on vocals, more recent work has instead Paradise Lost's Nick Holmes. Two of my favourite bands! Plus I've always rated this one highly. Believe it or not I actually picked this one up at a car boot sale for 50p. One of my best used scores ever.

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 2:48pm
^ Great album from a great band. If you haven't checked out Grand Morbid Funeral yet I'd recommend it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 3:46pm
It's long overdue Paul. I somehow keep forgetting about it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 3:49pm
Artist: Nile
Album: Ithyphallic
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: My first Nile album, so it holds a special position in my esteem for the band. I've never understood why this one is sometimes singled out as a weaker offering from Nile or why for years RYM'ers have been insisting that unlike their other albums, this one is 'just' death metal, not tech or brutal. The first of many Nile to revisit.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 12:23pm
Album: Those Whom the Gods Detest

Verdict: I consider Those Whom the Gods Detest to be among Nile's very best albums and that's saying something when it's a band that has such a high level of consistency in their work. While many death metal acts struggle to produce tracks that stand out individually even after repeated listened, Nile is a band that has perfected the art of memorability. For my money, it's an essential album. 

Now can I get a chant of Arra Arra! Dagon Dagon!

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 4:23am
Album: Annihilation of the Wicked

Verdict: This is one Nile album I have never played enough, which is odd considering it's often upheld as their best and I've always rated it a 4.5 at minimum myself. I don't think one revisit is enough to see if this can get up to a 5, but it's certainly one I must remember that I have more often and be able to get to know it in the same way as I know it's next two follow-ups. 

New Rating: No change for now. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 5:32am
Artist: Allegaeon
Album: Elements of the Infinite

Verdict: It's amazing just how different tech death bands can be from each other. As I take a breather from my Nile albums, but still very much in death metal mode and mood, I come across Allegaeon, a band that I haven't exactly stopped following but haven't bought either of their subsequent records this this one (though I have picked up an earlier one on the cheap which will show up in this series sooner or later). This is melodeath tinged technical death metal and between complexity it's also about as catchy as a band with growling vocals can be. A pretty epic , fun record, though some may find their style too polished.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 12:18pm
Album: In Their Darkened Shrines

Verdict: Historically I've struggled with this Nile album a bit, which is odd considering it's also held up as one of their best. But it's also one that a long time away has done wonders for. This time around it absolutely kicked my arse. And Unas Slayer of the Gods may just be the greatest thing they've ever recorded. Won't jump this up all the way to top tier on one listen, but it's going to 4.5 at least.

New Rating: 4.5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 12:23pm
Artist: Opeth
Album: Chris' avatar...I mean Still Life

Verdict: Albums like Still Life make me realise that there is not only too much music in the world to ever be able to appreciate everything to the level it deserves, but I also own too much to make sure even the best albums I own get a regular airing. 

According to my Last.fm stats, I've not even played this half a dozen times in the last ten years. And that's probably still more than a lot of albums I own, including other Opeth ones.

But it still feels bloody neglectful. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 4:13pm
Album: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Verdict: It was great to listen to this one again. Like all my Nile albums I've really neglected it for a long time and when I was getting into them and buying records I had a real special fondness for this one, which is quickly revived on the revisit. I'm almost through all the Nile albums I own now and I've realised that I probably should have picked up their more recent releases too. 

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:01am
^ You really need the last 2 nile albums Adam. Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 6:07am
Artist: Obscura
Album: Omnivium

Verdict: Omnivium is an important album for me regarding the way my taste in metal developed. Although it was far from the first death metal album I owned it certainly was one which marked a turning point for me in listening to more death metal. Although to this day I still don't consider myself that well versed in death metal since it's a mood that tends to come and go for it (one I am very much in lately), this is one I tend to revisit fairly often at least with its best tracks if not as a whole. Beyond this I have not paid that much attention to Obscura and have not bought either of their subsequent albums, although I do also own their first one. They are a band I feel I could use getting to know better outside of Omnivium. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 6:11am
Artist: Abysmal Dawn
Album: Leveling the Plane of Existence

Verdict: Abysmal Dawn are for me one of those bands where you really need to own one album and for me that one had always been Leveling the Plane of Existence. I actually really like this one. It's a death metal album with a basic but solid sound and songs that have identity. Unfortunately they just don't excite me much beyond this, though I do tend to eventually give their newer works a listen.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 4:00am
Artist: Opeth
Album: Orchid

Verdict: For some bands it takes a record or two to find their sound, but with Orchid Opeth already had their (original) sound. It would go on to receive refinement before morphing into the growl-free band they are today, but everything that made the extreme metal Opeth special was already present and correct here. A damn fine debut album.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 3:38am
Album: Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka

Verdict: I left Nile's debut for last for a reason. I think this is objectively their most underdeveloped album: a real case of a band still finding their sound. It's still pretty solid stuff, but the work of a band that would come on by leaps and bounds after this. 

GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
  Share Topic