Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:47am
Artist: Anathema
Album: The Silent Enigma
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: Anathema's brand of death-doom still isn't up there with my favourites of the genre, but this one is the best yet. Actually this is it for their death-doom, so it is the best one. A keeper. 

New Rating: No Change. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:30am
Artist: We Came As Romans
Album: Tracing Back Roots
Old Rating: 3/5

Verdict: A blind second hand shop pickup. I must have been feeling kind when I rated it before, because this is only short of rapping to be the exact opposite of my taste in metal. Bye-bye.

New Rating: 1.5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:12pm
Artist: Unsun
Album: The End of Life
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: Given its cover, this is the type of metal album that sounds exactly like you'll expect it to: lumped into gothic and/or symphonic metal but being a far cry from what those genres are supposed to sound like and instead probably owes more to alternative metal. However, it actually doesn't suck. The vocalist has a good voice. The songs are a bit poppy but as far as this schtick goes it's more than passable and there's a few genuinely really good ones. Lasting recollection of this album with me has a bad track record, so I thought this was going straight to the sale pile, but turns out it's a keeper. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:33am
Album: Eternity

Verdict: The first album of Anathema's transition period is, for me, merely a listenable release. Not their worst but not exactly exciting either. It's just about a keeper, but it seems clear that this band and I will never be best friends.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:13am
Artist: Itnuveth
Album: The Way of the Berserker

Verdict: An ebay pickup when I had a mad rush to add some pagan black metal to my collection - any pagan black metal I could get my hands on - and this is one of a few I ended up with. It's okay, just nothing too special. A keeper, but not something to drag out too often. 

New Rating: 3.5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:43am
Artist: Lamb of God
Album: Ashes of the Wake

Verdict: I was honestly expecting to hate this now. Lamb of God always seems to be to be the field leader in that kind of popular tough guy groove metal schtick that really doesn't fly with me the way it may have done 15 years ago. Only this is a damn solid album; absolutely packed with riffs that hit the spot that it actually ends up being a pleasant surprise. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:53am
Album: A Fine Day to Exit
Old Rating: 3/5

Verdict: While I was honestly expecting to come away from later Anathema putting them down as obvious ones not to keep, this one has proved a pleasant surprise. It's certainly not my usual sort of music, but I really liked this one! Very pleasant album. Not really MMA relevant if they didn't have death-doom stuff from earlier on, but it'll do me.

New Rating: 4/5
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:08pm
^ it’s a pretty decent proggy rock record. I play it occasionally.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:49am
Artist: Symphony X
Album: V: The New Mythology Suite
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: A bit different in vibe to the previous two Symphony X albums and for me represents a slight step down (I still don't understand anyone who thinks Twilight in Olympus is a blip in their discography), but this is the golden age of Symphony X and that means this one is still pretty essential listening.

GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 4:16am
That’s the first Symphony X album I bought, which is probably why it remains my favourite.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:29am
Artist: Symphony X
Album: The Odyssey

Verdict: I really dig this one from Symphony X. I haven't played it as much as Twilight in Olympus, partly through having it a shorter time, but I think The Odyssey is one of Symphony X's best albums. A record that goes up in my estimations with every spin.

New Rating: 5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

That’s the first Symphony X album I bought, which is probably why it remains my favourite.

That's probably the same reason for me with Twilight in Olympus, although finally getting The Divine Wings of Tragedy recently has caused me to begin to favour that one. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:06am
Artist: Mare Cognitum
Album(s): The Sea Which Has Become Known, An Extraconscious Lucidity, Phobos Monolith & Luminiferous Aether
Old Rating(s): 4/5, 4.5/5, 5/5 & 5/5

Verdict: Since I binged all four of these in one go today I decided to write up a bulk entry, though I'll still do separate ones for the Mare Cognitum splits that I own. 

Mare Cognitum is among my favourite black metal acts. A big part of which that is is on the most recent two albums Phobos Monolith and Luminiferous Aether, which are both absolute beasts, along with the two splits with Spectral Lore. The first two records have the project more finding its feet but both are still really solid atmospheric black metal. It's very easy to listen to all four records in one go, as it only amounts to a total of 20 tracks totalling just over three hours. There are far worse ways to spend a morning, I assure you. 

I expect this won't be the only time these get spun this month in the build up to the release of fifth studio album Solar Paroxysm. 

New Ratings: No Changes. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:52pm
^ I really need to spend more time listening to them.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:55am
Artist: Arch Enemy
Album: Anthems of Rebellion

Verdict: Arch Enemy were among the first extreme metal bands I discovered all those years ago and it was the song Silent Wars from this album that I first heard from them, although the first album I actually bought by them was, I think, Doomsday Machine. Initially I was drawn to bands like them and Trivium, who were using harsh vocals (the local term among fledgling headbangers was 'guttural' - it was many years before I ever encountered the term death growl/grunt), through their guitar work. I found these bands through the magazine Total Guitar after all and TG had a real thing about these two bands - actually, for a magazine that was meant to focus on the guitar players they sure made a real big deal out of Arch Enemy having a female vocalist. I suppose in extreme metal that was less heard of back then, but they were still supposed to be a guitar magazine. One particularly cringeworthy article I recall being decorated with the tagline: A girl with balls. 

These days, I return to Arch Enemy much more often than Trivium, but I look back on them as a rather patchy band full of ups and downs. Anthems of Rebellion is, in my view, a pretty decent album, but I can never bring myself to change it's rating higher than it already is, because I know that when this band is at their best, they make an absolutely killer melodic death metal record. And that doesn't describe Anthems of Rebellion, although it's also far from their weakest record. 

Edited by adg211288 - 14 Mar 2021 at 2:53pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 1:09pm
Album: Rise of the Tyrant

Verdict: My favourite Gossow era Arch Enemy album, Rise of the Tyrant shows off what the band can do when they are at their best. The album is packed full of melodic death metal anthems. Unfortunately they have never been able to maintain this level of consistency across consecutive releases. 

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 4:39am
I agree, quite a frustrating band with a lack of consistency. Sometimes great, sometimes very average.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I agree, quite a frustrating band with a lack of consistency. Sometimes great, sometimes very average.

Agree too. And as much as everyone goes on about their female singers, I think that's one of the band's biggest weaknesses. Angela Gossow put in a couple of decent performances, but then began to sound same-y. And from what I have heard (admittedly not a lot) Alissa White-Gluz seems one dimensional.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Alissa White-Gluz seems one dimensional.

She's really not though (she can actually sing for a start). But that doesn't mean Arch Enemy have made best use of what she can do. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 6:02am
Album: War Eternal
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: Once upon a time I would have said that Arch Enemy was a band that, even though they had their ups along with their downs, would never be worthy of a five star rating. Then they released War Eternal. Back in 2014, this was the best melodic death metal record I'd ever heard and seven years later it still is. Exactly how they can be this good sometimes and then their next record I only gave a 3 to is surely one of metal's greatest mysteries. 

New Rating: No change.
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>
  Share Topic