Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:28am
Artist: Borknagar
Album: Quintessence
Obtained From: Online
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 199 (10 Tracks)
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: Borknagar's other best album and the one I've played the most often. This is the point where they started to get more progressive, but still very rooted in black metal. It has some of the most epic (melodic) black metal tracks I've ever heard on it. By rights it's another one that doesn't need an entry on this blog, but I'm all in now. Maybe one day every CD I own will have an entry here. 

New Rating: No Change

Keeper? No...nah just kidding. 

Edited by adg211288 - 11 Jun 2020 at 12:14pm
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:19am
Album: Empiricism
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 78 (10 Tracks)
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: This is actually the Borknagar album I've owned the longest. I've been a bit up and down in my appreciation of it since day one. On this listen I liked this one a lot more than I remembered and it's pushing me more toward accepting Borknagar as a favourite band. 

New Rating: 4.5/5

Keeper? Yep. 

Edited by adg211288 - 11 Jun 2020 at 12:14pm
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 4:00pm
 I really need to spend more time listening to Borknagar's earlier stuff.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 6:25am
Album: Winter Thrice
Obtained From: Amazon
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 59 (9 Tracks)
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: The last of the Borknagar albums I physically own, though I should probably try to fill the gaps based on this run through the majority of their work (I skipped over the non-metal album, though I do remember liking it). This one finds them firmly in blackened melodic progressive metal vein transitioned to on Urd and is also the last to feature Vintersorg on vocals. It's a pretty fine album, but it doesn't get my blood boiling the way earlier Borknagar at their best did. However I could see this era of the band growing on me a lot more, especially with having also streamed Urd and latest album Truth North again.

New rating: No Change.

Keeper? Yep.

Edited by adg211288 - 11 Jun 2020 at 12:13pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 12:06pm
Artist: Sanctuary
Album: Refuge Denied
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 203 (9 Tracks)

Verdict: Now here's an album I played a damn lot of around the time I got it, with some of its tracks played double the amount of times I've spun the whole album. However it hasn't had an outing since late 2017 when I spun it in tribute to Warrel Dane who had just suddenly died of a heart attack. It all come flooding back to me though. This is one mighty fine slice of USPM. I know a lot of people seem to favour Into the Mirror Black, but I always preferred this one.

New Rating: No Change.

Keeper? Hell yeah. 

Edited by adg211288 - 11 Jun 2020 at 12:13pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I highly recommend it. I've got more into their newer stuff with this run through their discography, but the early ones are definitely my favourites. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I need to start listening to them full stop!Big smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 12:38pm
Artist: Lovebites
Album: Awakening From Abyss
Obtained From: Amazon
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 308 (12 Tracks)

Verdict: Okay, so I definitely didn't need to rediscover this one since it's only a few years old and I've played the thing to death already, but since I decided to write about every album I own (except ones I buy since starting this project, unless it's still ongoing years later, which could be likely since I have almost 1000 CDs) I figured I'd write a little bit about it here. Lovebites are the kind of band that subvert expectations: an all female power metal group from Japan who by association exist in the scene of J-Pop and Visual Kei bothering Japanese metal artists which have produced a number of other all female power metal acts. Then you hear them. And you realise that their music owes as much to the German Teutonic school of power metal (meaning it's speed/thrash metal influences) as it does to more famous Japanese power metal exports. Some may prefer their following releases (as an aside note the Morbid Angel-esq naming convention of their main releases!), but for nostalgia reasons this debut remains my favourite by them. 

New Rating: I'd give it 6 out of 5 if the system let me.

Keeper? It's very nearly number #1 album I'm voting for in the Best of Decade and honestly could get there in the last couple of weeks of voting, so what do you think? Wink
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm
Next album, whatever I pick, will mark 30 releases since I started this project. A small chunk on the way to the 988 on my list. 

I have no idea what album 30 will be since apart from my Borknagar run I'm very much doing these based on my whim alone. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 3:19pm
"I'm very much doing these based on my whim alone"

Then how will you know what you've already reviewed when you get to #697?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 3:22pm
Putting faith in my memory not to let me down in my 30s. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 3:24pm
Wait til you get to your 50s. I have to check that I've remembered to wear pants in the morning (that's trousers to you southerners Wink)

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 4:02am
Artist: Winterhorde
Album: Maestro
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 196 (11 Tracks)

Verdict: One of the best albums of the last decade, though I'm not quite as fond of it as I am their previous album Underwatermoon. The 2020s should hold even greater things from this group.

Keeper? Yep.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 3:15am
Artist: Kiuas
Album: Lustdriven
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 77 (10 Tracks)
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: I really should drag the Kiuas out more often. I really should see if I can find the albums I don't have too. The thing with Kiuas is that for a band with a rather unique sound to them (thanks to the voice of Ilja Jalkanen) they're actually easily to forget about, because they're a quintessential example of a band who split far too soon. 2010's Lustdriven was their fourth and final album. It's probably my favourite of the four, so they went out on a high, but this is one act I really wish was still around as I've always felt we never quite got the defining Kiuas album. 

Keeper? Yep.
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 3:32am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Winterhorde
Album: Maestro
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 196 (11 Tracks)

Verdict: One of the best albums of the last decade, though I'm not quite as fond of it as I am their previous album Underwatermoon. The 2020s should hold even greater things from this group.

Keeper? Yep.

I'd put this on par with Underwatermoon. Play them both regularly.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 5:54am
Artist: Sanctuary
Album: Into the Mirror Black
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 108

Verdict: The second Sanctuary album is one that I've been on the verge of giving five stars every time I listen to it, this time being no exception. And yet there's something undefinable that stops me every time. Maybe it's because I've played Refuge Denied considerably more and I just don't find this one to have quite the same level of energy as its predecessor, even though it too is an essential record from US power metal canon. 

New Rating: No Change, though I still don't rule out it one day clicking up to 5 star status.

Keeper? Obviously. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 7:02am
Artist: Windir
Album: Arntor
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 50

Verdict: Windir number among the most tragic of metal act stories. The brainchild of one Terje 'Valfar' Bakken, between 1997-2003 he turned out some of the best albums that melodic black metal has to offer, Arntor being the second of them. In early 2004 Valfar set out on a walk to his family's cabin. A snow storm blew in, and he never arrived. His body was found three days later. He was only 25 at the time of his death. I'm not sure that there's any act that can truly fill the void Windir left behind. For my personal part Arntor is the record that I've clocked the least plays on Last.fm for out of the three I own, for no particular reason that I can think of. I ought to see about completing my collection with the debut one day. 

Keeper? Hell yeah!
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 6:06am
Artist: Kiuas
Album: Reformation
Total Previous Scrobbles: 122

Verdict: The second Kiuas album and the one I've had the longest. Made sense to revisit this now while waiting for their others albums to arrive, which I managed to pick up yesterday. I don't quite like this as much as Lustdriven, featured here earlier, but it's close. A great band gone before their time.

New Rating: No Change.

Keeper? Of course.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 11:00am
Artist: Kylesa
Album: Static Tensions
Obtained From: Discogs
Total Previous Scrobbles: 112

Verdict: This record exists in a style I don't listen to much or know much about, but I sure do like it a lot. I played it a lot in 2018, the year I picked it. Until the ones I've recently ordered arrive this is the only main Kylesa album I own (the other is a compilation). They're definitely a band I can see myself spending more time listening to. An unusual band line-up as well in that there are two drummers. 

Keeper? Hell yeah. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Kylesa
Album: Static Tensions
Obtained From: Discogs
Total Previous Scrobbles: 112

Verdict: This record exists in a style I don't listen to much or know much about, but I sure do like it a lot. I played it a lot in 2018, the year I picked it. Until the ones I've recently ordered arrive this is the only main Kylesa album I own (the other is a compilation). They're definitely a band I can see myself spending more time listening to. An unusual band line-up as well in that there are two drummers. 

Keeper? Hell yeah. 

I tried this one once. Won't be trying again...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic