Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Great Collection Rediscovery
    Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:18am
So this is my version of Patrick's Why the F**k have I got this? thread so thanks Patrick for inspiring me to do this. 

In this thread I will be going through my CD collection, revisiting albums I believe I've played very little or not for a long time, with a focus on albums bought in job lots, second hand shops and cheap blind purchases on ebay and Dodax. I'll going to try to check at least one album off from those I want to hear again every day. 

This is the collection I'll be working through, though I did belatedly notice there's one album missing. But that doesn't matter because that's probably one I'll sell anyway. There may be some I post here that I will sell. 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:23am
Artist: 3 Inches of Blood
Album: Advance and Vanquish
Obtained From: Second Hand Shop
Times Previously Listened: 3
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: Quite fun extreme power metal, but the high register clean vocals combined with the high shrieks gets a bit grating after a while. Can't say I'd want to own more than one by them. 

New Rating: 3.5/5

Keeper? Yes, just. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:29am
Artist: Abigail Williams
Album: Becoming
Obtained From: Online, Cheap, Probably Ebay
Times Previously Listened: 6 (didn't realise it was so many)
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: This is the kind of album that makes me realise just how much I need to revamp my ratings system, much like I've just done for movies. I mean it's nice enough atmospheric black metal, but it's also quite forgettable. I didn't even realise I'd previously listened to this six times (could have sworn it was no more than three at most) and also after only playing it for a 7th the other day I already find I can't recall much about it.

New Rating: 3/5

Keeper? Maybe. Something obviously drew me to it more times than I realised. In Danger Zone though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:33am
Artist: Agathodaimon
Album: Blacken the Angel
Obtained From: Ebay Job Lot of Someone's Entire Collection
Times Previously Listened: 2

Verdict: It's pretty average, but not without some merit. A 15 minute track that does nothing to warrant its length drags the album down.

New Rating: 3/5

Keeper? Depends on how the others by the artist come off during this review. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:36am
Artist: Agalloch
Album: The Mantle
Obtained From: Ebay Job Lot of Someone's Entire Collection
Times Previously Listened: 4

Verdict: While I don't think this will become an album I will listen to too often, when the mood strikes it hits the spot just right and is a rather unique entry in my collection. 

New Rating: No Change

Keeper? Yes
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 8:17am
Artist: Darkology
Album: Altered Reflections
Obtained From: Amazon, Full Price
Times Previously Listened: 21, but most of them in 2010!
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: There was never any doubt that this one was a keeper, but it had been a while since I listened to it and to my genuine surprise my Last.fm stats (in case you were wondering where I was getting such precise info on previous listens from) show that most of my listening to the album was done in 2010, with only two full listens logged since then. That's kind shame on me, because this is a meaty, riff driven prog metal gem that kicks as much arse in 2020 as it did in 2010.

Keeper? Fuck yes!

Edited by adg211288 - 24 May 2020 at 9:20am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:13am
Artist: Ageless Oblivion
Album: Penthos
Obtained From: Ebay, cheap and near blind

Verdict: Not a ground-breaking tech death album that will be my first choice of the genre to play, but it's pretty solid, with some hints at greater potential to come.

Keeper? Yes

Edited by adg211288 - 24 May 2020 at 9:19am
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

What's the tall one on the top shelf?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:55pm
It's the Gold Edition of Avantasia's The Metal Opera Parts 1 & 2. 

I also own the albums separately because of that job lot I bought. Really should have sold them at the time but one thing I always disliked about the Gold was that you didn't get the original artworks in any form. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:34pm
 A fun idea, I should do something similar myself though I can never bear to part with anything.

Edited by Nightfly - 24 May 2020 at 4:34pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:05am
Honestly I'd have to actively dislike something to sell it. I'm kidding myself that I could let anything else go. 

Only album I've put on sale so far is the one I missed from the List Challenge, which is Periphery - Periphery II. Not really my thing at all. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:14am
Artist: After Forever
Album: After Forever
Obtained From: HMV
Times Previously Listened: 3+ (pre-Last.fm)
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: A pleasant surprise in that its a lot better than I seem to remember it being. I had a thing about After Forever when I was getting into symphonic metal but quickly lost interest as I became aware of Epica. I remember this album as being average. It's a lot better than that, and Floor Jansen certainly gets more opportunity to show her vocals off here than Nightwish seems to allow, though I still prefer ReVamp.

New Rating: 4.5/5

Keeper? Yes!
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:55am
Artist: Haiduk
Album: Spellbook
Obtained From: Gift From the Artist
Times Previously Listened: 6
Old Rating: 4.5

Verdict: Apparently I haven't listened to this since 2013! This one man death/thrash metal act actually gave me this for free so I could review it, a proper retail copy and not a CD-R as some other bands have sent in the past. It's a damn fine little album that I'm surprised I left this long before picking up again.

Keeper? Yep. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Honestly I'd have to actively dislike something to sell it. I'm kidding myself that I could let anything else go. 

Only album I've put on sale so far is the one I missed from the List Challenge, which is Periphery - Periphery II. Not really my thing at all. 
Almost anyting I have let go in the past, I have regretted getting rid of and have actively tried to purchase Again...so my advice...hold on to anything unless it´s extremely bad.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:22pm
I didn't actually buy the Periphery for myself, just got lumbered with it. I have a mate who's into them and some time last year he told me he'd been unable to find that album. A couple of days later I saw a copy in a second hand shop. I was unable to get a hold of him on my phone from the shop to ask if he still wanted it so since it was only £4 I got it anyway. Turns out he went online and bought it that same day I saw him. Been stuck with the thing ever since. 

The only others from my collection I currently have a mind to sell - providing they don't click when they're revisited as part of this project - are albums from the collection I bought that I didn't enjoy too much. Which is basically the Anathema ones after a certain point, two Avantasia ones (that I have the Gold Edition of anyway) and the Saviour Machine ones (I remember liking the debut only). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:45am
Artist: Orange Goblin
Album: Frequencies From Planet Ten
Obtained From: Ebay bargain

Verdict: This isn't my usual sort of metal, but it's very enjoyable. I could learn to like it and their genre more in time.

New Rating: 4/5

Keeper? Yep. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:05am
Artist: Theatre of Tragedy
Album: Theatre of Tragedy

Verdict: Gothic Death-Doom Metal in the 'beauty and the beast' formula. Works well and more death-doomy than many in this style. From what I recall it's my favourite of this band's albums, of which I have several more I'm less familiar with to go through.

Keeper? Definitely. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:54am
Artist: Iced Earth
Album: Iced Earth
Times Previously Listened: 5

Verdict: I actually spun this earlier in the month, along with a number of other Iced Earth releases. They aren't the kind of band I thought of when starting this project, being one of my favourites, but I thought this debut album deserved an entry, because this one really clicked a lot more with me this time around. Before I'd considered this to have great instrumentation in the USPM/thrash metal vein, but I couldn't get on with the vocals so much. Well, those finally clicked with me when I played this one again, which cements the era of their first three albums as my favourite by the group. 

New Rating: 4.5/5

Keeper? Hell yeah!
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:01am
Artist: In Flames
Album: Colony
Obtained From: Free gift for subscribing to Metal Hammer UK back in the day
Times Previously Listened: Unknown (pre-Last.fm), got to be at least 3.
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: Good news, it's not worse than I remember. Bad news, it's not any better either. In Flames remain one of those bands that I still don't get the hype for. I have a couple of other releases from them, one more from the same free gift as this and one from a second hand shop, but I recall liking this one the most so things look bleak for those two. 

Keeper? Just about. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:36am
Artist: Wintersun
Album: Wintersun
Obtained From: Cheap Ebay Win
Times Previously Listened: 2

Verdict: There are times when Wintersun has a great sound on this album. The opening belter Beyond the Dark Sun for instance. Unfortunately what makes for a great and punchy short track doesn't always work so well with their tendency toward longer tracks. In fact every track on here is longer than the last one (by design perhaps?). It's starting to outstay its welcome after nearly an hour. I also have serious issues with the way this band operates; they've long reached the point where it just seems like they're taking the piss and I can't imagine any circumstances where I'd want to buy another album they make.

New Rating: Scrapes a 4/5.

Keeper? Yeah.
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic