1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:04am
I've found my CD players over the years very reliable. My current Roksan player I've had for about 3 years which replaced an Arcam I'd had since 1992 without any problems until it finally gave up. That had a CD in at the time and I was able to dismantle it to retrieve it seen as I had no intention of getting it repaired.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:12am
The best CD player I had for a while was one of these:

It lasted for some time, but eventually started randomly skipping CDs. 

It was shit quality and paused between every track. 

It played one CD and then promptly malfunctioned. 

I haven't owned an actual CD player since. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:24am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

I also can't imagine selling anything I currently own. 

Alex and I even have a load of doubles from when our collections got merged after marriage. We've never even sold any of those. I keep thinking that if we did it would be just our luck if the one we keep gets damaged somehow. We're very careful, but you never know. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:36am
It can happen because I busted my Cowboys From Hell absolute years ago when I dropped it while playing inside my old Sony Walkman (shows how long ago that was). 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 8:32am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'd love a CD player, but finding one that works long term has been so hard these days I've stuck with first my DVD player and then my blu-ray player...but my blu-ray going wrong and needing to be replaced has really put the wind up me over playing certain CDs now. 

When it went wrong it was because it completely lost power. It had a disc stuck inside of a film I'd literally bought that morning. It was only then I found out that the player was designed with no mechanism to manually eject the disc tray and this be able to retrieve the disc. I had to send it away for repair with the disc still inside. I went wrote a note to alert the technician about that, sent the disc's case with the player and asked them to retrieve my disc no matter what, providing my email address if the postage cost to return it was an issue.

They just threw it all away with no response. I was livid. I actually came out on top because Amazon fronted me an insane amount of credit to replace the movie (which I ended up doing with a digital copy and then still had credit to spare), but it got me thinking. What if I'd not been watching a DVD at the time but listening to a CD? Especially a CD that it would be difficult if not impossible to replace? 

This is the most expensive CD I've ever bought:

It cost me around £30. It shouldn't have done, because Royal Mail whacked a near £10 import fee on it, because the sender, the artist himself, declared the customs forms incorrectly (it should have been a $15 2CD plus a FREE poster, but it was declared as a $15 2CD plus a $10 poster). Anyway, this was a crowd-funded release, so copies were very limited even without considering that it had to be sent from the US and as it came out in 2016 and this happened in 2019, three years down the line meant that there was no copies available anymore.

It is the very definition of irreplaceable. So when my player went wrong and I was unable to get my DVD back, it really got me thinking over what could have been done if I'd happened to be playing this or something else rare at the time?

I've barely played any CDs from the disc since that day. 

If something like this happened to me with a disc stuck inside that thing would be coming to bits!

Surely the sender should have refunded you that fee in this case by the way?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 8:45am
Trust me if it had been that album stuck in there when it went wrong I'd have done just that, warranty be damned. 

As for sender, I got this from the artist himself. Legally he probably should have done, although there may have been an issue over who's law applies to an international sale, but I choose not to press the issue. I did inform him that I was whacked with a fee to receive the CD, but I omitted why because I don't think he was making much money off of crowd funding a physical release, it was basically fan service. I think he probably broken even at best. If I'd bought it from a label or a business that would have been different. But I decided not to try to claim money back from the artist himself, especially considering he had previously given me a CD of the first Lascaille's Shroud album for free. 

Always thought that maybe I should have got the fucking poster laminated though. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:49am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Always thought that maybe I should have got the fucking poster laminated though. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic