Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to come up with a new rating system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to come up with a new rating system
    Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:45am
I've been trying to come up with a new rating system, one that I'll be able to apply to both film and music. The idea is to have a system that actually helps me categorised what I've seen/heard and what's worth keeping and what isn't.

I've only done the film version so far, because I rate more films currently. I'm now adjusting my existing ratings on RYM to match it (slow work). 

See what you think and please offer feedback.

0.5 - Reserved for movies I tried to watch and switched off before the end. The kind of movie that makes me question why anyone thought it was a good idea to even make.

1.0 - This is a really bad or boring movie, reserved for the worst of the worse providing I at least got to the end, at which point I wonder how I made it and question my sanity for doing so. Some movies that initially get a 1.5, 2.0 or even 2.5 may end up here if after a couple of weeks I find I can't recall a single thing about them.

1.5 - Worse than Paris, Texas, a movie I absolutely loath but still manages to fall into the 2.0 group. 1.5 movies, in hindsight, seem like it was ill advised to watch them and I wonder why I did, since the warning signs were probably there. Their only redeeming feature is that they're not 1.0 movies.

2.0 - A poor movie, but there might be redeeming qualities, like some genuinely good bits and hints of potential that wasn't capitalised on. Upon it's conclusion it won't feel like a complete waste of time and that it was worth giving a shot. It just didn't work out.

2.5 - Some good stuff, mostly poor. Movies I keep of this rating or below are part of boxsets that I don't want to break up or owned digitally. Franchise movies are only safe from being thrown out if not having them creates plot holes later on if trying to watch the whole franchise right through.

3.0 - A good movie, but one I'm left with no desire to watch again. I generally won't want to keep a movie rated at 3.0 in my collection, with the exception of certain franchise films (Spin-off franchise movies like The Bourne Legacy are in trouble though), which I'd re-watch as part of the whole thing but not as a solo entry.

3.5 - Pretty much the same as a 3.0, except I feel more confident that I'll watch it again eventually. 3.5's may also have potential to open up with a second viewing, so they're worth keeping until at least the second watch.

4.0 - This is a very good movie which I will definitely watch more than once and probably more than twice, but not with any great frequency. Enough time will pass between seeing it that I'll probably have forgotten all but the best bits. 

4.5 - This is a movie I'll watch a lot. It's entertaining from start to finish, with absolutely nothing that bugs me in any way, but I can't quite rank it with my all time favourites. Most movies I loved will use this rating. It's also the highest I'll give on a single viewing. 

5.0 - I expect to watch this movie many times over. I can even watch it again a short time after last seeing it. I probably won't most of the time, but I can and it'll lose nothing. It's an all time favourite. Reserved for the very best of the best. Movies can't earn this rating until they've been watched at least twice. 

Edited by adg211288 - 17 May 2020 at 8:48am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:27pm
That would work. Couldn't offer anything that would improve on it to be honest.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:59pm
Like you did by mentioning Paris, Texas, I'd go through and add some examples of movies you know well, and which definitely fit your ratings. Then when you go to rate a movie you have a bench mark. E.g:
The Toxic Avenger is a 3.
I have just watched Surf Nazis Must Die. Is it better, equal to, or worse than The Toxic Avenger? OK, It's worse.
Ghoulies II is a 2.5. Is it equal to, or worse than Ghoulies II? It's about the same.
So therefore, Surf Nazis Must Die is a 2.5.

I don't know if that's helpful, but I do it a lot with ratings for album reviews, because I hate ratings.Wink
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:43am
I´m not a bit fan of ratings either, but on the other hand it is an easy to read and understand system for people to quickly get an idea of how much a reviewer thinks of an album. Not everybody has the patience to read through hundreds of reveiws every month Smile. The problem with ratings is how personal they are. Some reviewer use 5 star ratings often while others use them very seldom, and although we may both love an album there may be factors which means I only think it deserves 3.5 star rating while you think it deserves 5 stars. So in some ways ratings are actually useless. Personally I´d much rather spend time reading the review because there the reviewer has the opportunity to describe the music and the quality of the overall product, and I generally find that it´s a much better guideline.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 1:00am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I´m not a bit fan of ratings either, but on the other hand it is an easy to read and understand system for people to quickly get an idea of how much a reviewer thinks of an album. Not everybody has the patience to read through hundreds of reveiws every month Smile. The problem with ratings is how personal they are. Some reviewer use 5 star ratings often while others use them very seldom, and although we may both love an album there may be factors which means I only think it deserves 3.5 star rating while you think it deserves 5 stars. So in some ways ratings are actually useless. Personally I´d much rather spend time reading the review because there the reviewer has the opportunity to describe the music and the quality of the overall product, and I generally find that it´s a much better guideline.

I agree, as long as they make sense I don't think it matters too much. As long as someone's not giving an album/movie they love or really like 2.5 or less, whatever sits best with you works fine. Your rating system makes sense to me.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Like you did by mentioning Paris, Texas, I'd go through and add some examples of movies you know well, and which definitely fit your ratings. Then when you go to rate a movie you have a bench mark. E.g:
The Toxic Avenger is a 3.
I have just watched Surf Nazis Must Die. Is it better, equal to, or worse than The Toxic Avenger? OK, It's worse.
Ghoulies II is a 2.5. Is it equal to, or worse than Ghoulies II? It's about the same.
So therefore, Surf Nazis Must Die is a 2.5.

I don't know if that's helpful, but I do it a lot with ratings for album reviews, because I hate ratings.Wink

Not a bad idea, though I mainly namedrop Paris, Texas to annoy people. Tongue

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:44am
So far I've adjusted my ratings up to the 4.0 tier. I still need to shift through 4.5 and 5.0. A lot of 5.0's will drop to 4.5 since I've decided to reserve 5 for stuff I've watched/heard more than once. I imagine a lot of the 4.5's will also drop to 4 or even lower since I'm basing my ratings on likelihood of re-watching. 

Here's a List Challenge for what ended up on 1 star that I knocked together to give a visual feel of the new system: https://www.listchallenges.com/movies-adam-rated-1-18052020
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:54am
^ I've only seen 6 of them.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 6:28am
That's probably for the best. Wink
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:31am
Damn it's amazing how many from my 4.5 film tier are dropping to 3.5 or even 3.0 on this system. Shocked

Wonder my music rating distribution will look like after revision, if I even change that one because that would be a massive pain in the arse considering how many reviews I have. 

This is helping me with films though, since I really needed to purge my collection of stuff I didn't expect to watch again. Still have almost 900 in my collection though. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:33am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Here's a List Challenge for what ended up on 1 star that I knocked together to give a visual feel of the new system: https://www.listchallenges.com/movies-adam-rated-1-18052020

Only got 3 on there, namely Giant Peach, Mary Poppins, and Muppets Christmas. Never liked the two former, but I do remember liking that Muppet movie as a kid. Don't know how I'd feel about it now, but I have zero interest in re-watching it.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:40am
I always had an unreasonable dislike of the Muppets. So when someone bought me that Muppet movie on VHS when I was however old I wasn't much impressed. Watched it once out of parental pressure. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 4:39pm
I got 7 in that shitshow.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic