Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List Challenges Not Related to Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Reached my next milestone on Japanese movies today - 80 (two pages on LC). Well, 78 and 2 honourable inclusions anyway. 

I haven't seen any. I really should check a few out.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Reached my next milestone on Japanese movies today - 80 (two pages on LC). Well, 78 and 2 honourable inclusions anyway. 

I haven't seen any. I really should check a few out.

Not sure what you'd be more into but Akira Kurosawa's work is always a good starting point. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:01am
I'd start with Yojimbo in particular, not just because it's my favorite movie, but it's a fantastic samurai action with a comedic element.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:14am
Yojimbo is a brilliant movie. Often underrated next to Seven Samurai, which is also very good but also very long and perhaps not the best intro movie to Japanese cinema.

If you prefer something in the crime/noir line, Kurosawa's Stray Dog and High and Low also come recommended. 

From other director's Harakiri is also excellent. As is The Human Condition trilogy. 

If you're open to anime, there's also some great titles available. Some of them definitely not for the kiddies. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 1:21am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 2:36pm
Something I knocked up due to picking up a couple of older sci-fi movies recently.

GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 2:42pm
Only seen 4 of those, but there's quite a few I've been wanting to see for a while. Aren't some of those more horror than sci-fi though? I would've thought movies like Frankenstein and Jekyll and Hyde would have science fiction as a secondary rather than a primary.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 2:49pm

My May list for Movies, TV and Shorts: https://www.listchallenges.com/what-adams-been-watching-may-2020

Only seen 9/70 there.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Only seen 4 of those, but there's quite a few I've been wanting to see for a while. Aren't some of those more horror than sci-fi though? I would've thought movies like Frankenstein and Jekyll and Hyde would have science fiction as a secondary rather than a primary.

Having not seen them I can't say. A lot of those old horror movies were considered sci-fi for the time though. The book for Frankenstein was even released in the Sci-Fi Masterworks Collection. 

At the end of the day when I make a list from another source, I follow the source best I can, even when two movies I thought were pretty damn boring are ranked as number 1 and 2. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 3:18pm
To be fair, I haven't seen them either (though I own the 1920 Jekyll and Hyde in a silent horror boxset), guess I'm just used to seeing those referred to as horror more than sci-fi. Though before more action/adventure-based sci-fi became more prevalent, horror and sci-fi did seem to crossover a lot, so probably just has to do with the time like you said.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 3:26pm
Of course with RYM it is possible that the tagging is leftover relics from the time when films didn't have the option of secondaries, but that's been changed for years so its doubtful. I too would more expect to see many of these on horror lists over sci-fi. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 11:11am
Frankenstein definitely would fit the bill for sci-fi.  Some of the H.G. Wells stuff arguably doesn't have enough of the "science" part, but it was considered scifi at the time it was written.

Something I knocked up due to picking up a couple of older sci-fi movies recently.

I have 11, but many more there are on my watchlist.  It can be hard to find these 1950s movies for a reasonable price.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 11:50am
I had 13 myself on this one, with a couple more lined up to watch. There's quite a few on there I'd still to see. 

Old movies in general tend to cost most to obtain here in the UK. There are sometimes some on Prime and often they are on the normal TV stations, but the quality is atrocious most of the time and it's nothing to do with the movie being old, because an old movie can be made to look fantastic. Some of these look of a quality lower than standard definition.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:09pm
Another genre milestone list for me, this time for noir movies.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:21pm
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 7:43pm

5, but with several I've been wanting to see. War of the Worlds and Day the Earth Stood Still being two of those, but every time I go to the thrift store (where I get most movies) I get excited for a split-second when I see them on the shelf but then I quickly realize it's the remakes and lose all interest.

Also want to see the first Godzilla movie, I've only seen the hilariously bad Godzilla vs Megalon through the MST3K episode which is one of my favorites. I've heard the first is great though beyond cheese.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:32am
I'm becoming very interested in 50s sci-fi, but I've also seen hardly anything I put on that list.

I own a copy of the 50s Invasion of the Body Snatchers which is marred by an aspect ratio that makes the picture look minimised in the centre of the TV screen with big black borders around every side. Had a couple of older DVDs like that where it looks like they were made to fit older TV screen standards around when DVDs first came out. Looks awful now. It's a good movie though. I think I prefer the 70s one though. 

I've also seen The Thing From Another World but elected not to keep the DVD after watching it. A Good movie, but a rare case where the remake completely blows it out of the water. It's possible I'll re-obtain it one day though as part of the HMV Premium Collection blu-rays. 

Several movies I want to watch there are: Them!, The Day the Earth Stood Still (seen the remake, don't remember much about it though), Forbidden Planet, The Fly (also seen the remake which was very good), and The War of the Worlds (which may well be the best version out there as I understand it). 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:52am
I've seen quite a bit of 50's sci-fi, but mostly the incredibly cheesy ones courtesy of MST3K/Rifftrax, so haven't gotten to many that are supposedly good beyond the so bad it's good factor. Do you watch Cinemassacre on Youtube at all? I really enjoy his videos on the many eras and genres of film, and have been introduced to great stuff that I probably would've never found otherwise (Particularly surrealist Jan Švankmajer). Here's a video regarding the topic at hand though:

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:23pm
I hadn't heard of him before but that was a good video. I've subbed to him to check out more. He's already increased my interest in a few movies he mentioned and made me think that maybe I shouldn't have got rid of The Thing From Another World. 

Older horror movies are another interest I want to explore more. Black and white ones mainly. I re-watched The Haunting (1963) last night after not taking it in properly the first time due to tiredness, and it was brilliant, very tense and atmospheric with the black and white picture (especially when watching on blu-ray - I don't think about people credit just how stylish black and white looks in HD or better). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 5:05am
Breaking my list making into some new territory. Beer. Beer

https://www.listchallenges.com/100-beers-that-adam-has-tried

Edited by adg211288 - 13 Sep 2020 at 5:05am
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic