Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums You Love But Everyone Else Does Not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums You Love But Everyone Else Does Not
    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:17am
I've always wanted to create this thread, might as well do it. 

There are many albums I enjoy and to my surprise I am usually a minority. I think it happens to everyone though, so I hope you will list your albums that you love and know, whether in every day life or the internets, many dislike them. 

The obvious example that came to my mind is Paradise Lost - Host. First reviews I read when it came out were negative which had the opposite effect on me, all I could think was "how bad can it be? I want to hear it" LOL. I got it and enjoyed it ever since. 

I used to have this thing with a friend of mine in which we used to look for low rated albums on the internets and answer the question "How bad can it be?" and see which one we'd enjoy. 
My first one was Kansas- Drastic Measures which we both end up enjoying (over a couple of beers chatting about music, obviously). 
I do enjoy the melodic hard rock Kansas, basically their 80s output, might be because I started listening to them to what some might say, the wrong album LOL, 1986 album Power, first one with Steve Morse. I did not know much about them (that was long before the internet giving us information at an easy click).

Ok, more albums:
Iron Maiden - The X Factor (I do not like the next one though)

Rush - the synth era albums, which a lot of people complain about + Test for Echo (which has more negative reviews than positive ones)

Marillion - Holidays in Eden (I love this album), Radiation, Marillion.com and Somewhere Else.

Anthrax with John Bush - a lot of people seem to dislike those albums, I don't have a problem with them. 

Uriah Heep - their 80s output (another band I'd enjoy with my friend). 

AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video - my second favorite album with Brian Johnson. 

Judas Priest - Turbo 

Rainbow - the JLT albums - more people complain than appreciate them. 

Europe - their MTV years (1986-1991 albums), might be because their music put a smile on my face in some tough times, i'll always appreciate them. 

OK, that's all for now, be back soon with more albums, now it's your turn. 

I put this thread in the general music for you to mention any kind of music you like, not just metal. 

Edited by LittleBig - 22 Apr 2020 at 11:58am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:32am
I wouldn't say I love them today but I do hold a nostalgic soft spot for the the bands and albums that I discovered rock and metal music with and can never hate them because of that. Some notables that people often hate are:

Metallica - St. Anger
Nickelback (any up to 2005)

But that's not quite what you asked, so...

I don't know how much this next one is hated (if at all) but, but a lot of people do tend to dislike Olzon's era in Nightwish:

Nightwish - Imaginaerum

It's actually one of my favourite Nightwish albums. Ironically when it first came out I thought it was terrible. It gradually grew it my estimations, then one day suddenly clicked and became a five star album for me. 

A lot of people seem to run down Myrkur in general while I've always found her approach to black metal to be refreshing. 

I might be able to think of some more, but this is what first comes to mind. I think I generally end up liking films more often that others say are crap. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:39am
Ah, here's something this would apply to for me: Most of Derrick Green era Sepultura. Always did prefer it overall to Max Cavalera's era. I especially enjoy Dante XXI and A-Lex. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:50am
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die and Seventh Star (the one with Glenn Hughes)

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:24am
Hmm maybe Revelations of the Black Flame by 1349. I always thought that one copped a lot of unnecessary flak, but I always like the way they dared to do something a bit different which black metal fans aren't always open to. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:24am
Ooh, fun!

A few already mentioned here:
Iron Maiden - X Factor. I also like Virtual XI, probably a bit more.
AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video is my favourite AC/DC album. It was also the first I got, so that might have some bearing on it. It is the most metal (as opposed to rock)of all their albums
John Bush era Anthrax - There's not a bad album in there. I am a bit of an Anthrax tragic though...
Black Sabbath - Seventh Star. One hell of a good song. This was supposed to be a Tony Iommi solo, but got rebranded as a Sabbath album.

Now mine:
Metallica - LuLu. This is a Lou Reed album with Metallica as backing band, not a true Metallica album. I started a review of it the other day. I really love some of the tracks on it.
Slayer - Undisputed Attitude and Diabolus In Musica. A lot of people don't like cover albums full stop, but I like 'em.

Um, I had more, but my mind has gone blank...
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:07pm
Later Carach Angren is most definitely not as bad as most seem to claim it to be, especially not This is No Fairytale. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:30pm
Ah, here's a good one, Christopher Lee's metal album. I can understand it for the first so called metal album he did because the guy who composed it's idea of metal was orchestral music with a few sporadic guitar sections, but the second one re-did the first's songs and expanded on it and was much better. And actually metal. It's a pity they didn't redo the vocal tracks which do sound like they were recorded for other arrangements, but it's really not bad and holds a rather unique place in my collection. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:45pm
Honestly, there's loads, but I'd need to give it some thought. Many of the albums I regularly play are considered weaker releases going by ratings.

Just commenting on a couple of the big boys - 

Metallica - Load is okay but Reload bores me. I do however rate St Anger and Lulu is great.

Black Sabbath - NSD is okay but the weakest of the Ozzy albums, so I'm broadly in line there. But Technical Ecstacy I love. Seventh Star I agree is a really good album and very underated. Born Again is superb. Forbidden though is greatly overrated.

AC/DC - BUYV is a good album. I really like Fly On The Wall.

Much of the metal I listen too tends to be fairly obscure and most people hate it :-)

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:10pm

Well I have a few favorites that are often mentioned among the weakest or least interesting among the artist´s releases:

Renewal by Kreator. I used to be a huge Kreator fan and like most other fans of the band Renewal made me confused and disappointed upon release. It didn´t take much time before it became my favorite album by Kreator though, and today it´s one of the only Kreator albums I still listen to regularly.

Odium by Morgoth. Odium didn´t have to grow on me, as I loved it right away, but otherwise the story is pretty similar to my history with Kreator, although I also still listen to the other Morgoth releases (Yes I like Feel Sorry.... too).

Someone mentioned synth-era Rush...that´s my favorite period too.

Genesis: ...and Then There Were Three and Duke are probably my favorite Genesis albums, and that´s not always a popular opinion among hardcore prog fans or hardcore fans of their most maintream 80s releases.

Napalm Death: Fear, Emptiness, Despair. I don´t know if it´s one of the most unpopular releases among the band´s fans, but it´s a different sounding release and I love it.

Joe Satriani. I like some of Satriani´s songs (seldom full albums), but one album stands out the most to me and it´s the 1995 eponymously titled blues album. That is one hell of a guitar album that one.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Black Sabbath - Never Say Die and Seventh Star (the one with Glenn Hughes)

Yes, Seventh Star is a great album, one of the better post Ozzy Sabbath albums IMO.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Someone mentioned synth-era Rush...that´s my favorite period too.

Genesis: ...and Then There Were Three and Duke are probably my favorite Genesis albums, and that´s not always a popular opinion among hardcore prog fans or hardcore fans of their most maintream 80s releases.

I think a lot of this has to do with when you discovered a band and where they were at that particular time. I like 70's Rush and Genesis the best because of that's the music that introduced me to them and it resonated in a big way with me. When a band you love suddenly changes style  drastically it's not surprising that older fans feel let down. If I'd discovered Rush and Genesis in the 80's maybe I'd have had a different view but more likely I'd have never got into them at all.

Edited by Nightfly - 22 Apr 2020 at 3:47pm
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

true
I've always liked their debut, teen Peter Gabriel's performance is awesome. 

I also like the album with Ray Wilson, I believe if that was released under a different name, would not have got so much hate. Ray Wilson, which is a good songwriter was misused and he said in the end the collaboration with Banks and Rutherford hurt his career more than helped it. It seems though he is allowed to play a few Genesis songs live and Steve Hackett invited him to sing live.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Rush - the synth era albums, which a lot of people complain about + Test for Echo (which has more negative reviews than positive ones)

Anthrax with John Bush - a lot of people seem to dislike those albums, I don't have a problem with them. 

Judas Priest - Turbo 

Agree with these, love or at least really like all of these. I get the complaints towards Turbo and the synth Rush albums, even though I disagree. Vocalist changes will always be met with some negativity unfortunately, no matter how great the music still is, but Test for Echo's negative reaction's never made any sense to me. It's not that different from Counterparts.

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Born Again is superb.

I think we're the only two people on this site who love that album LOL

For me:

Most nu metal (The greatest gift to me would be for people to stop the hate towards this entire genre.)

Rush - Vapor Trails (Loudness war lmao, like Rush's heaviest album shouldn't be loud. Both a heavy and beautiful album, and I can hear the raw emotion on this album from Peart's loss of his family)

Helstar - Multiples of Black (I don't think I've seen anyone outright dislike this album, mostly just indifference. Personally though, it's my second favorite album from them)

Judas Priest - Point of Entry (I've never been able to understand why people dislike this album. Such amazing songwriting, and Desert Plains is my all time favorite Judas Priest song.)

The pre-Cowboys Pantera albums (Power Metal kicks ass, and is a fantastic combination of early 80's-sounding thrash and heavy metal. Projects in the Jungle and I Am the Night are really good heavy metal albums too, even though they have a couple lame ballads)

Almost everything Metallica's done after the Black Album (Yes, even St. Anger. Other than Lulu, I find stuff to like in every album from them. Load might be my second favorite album from them, after Ride the Lightning.)

Megadeth - Risk (Don't know what to say about this other than I just really like it. Seven is a banger.)

Faith No More - Introduce Yourself (My favorite Faith No More album, a lot of people complain about Chuck Mosley's vocals, but I've always thought he exudes pure charisma and personality.)

That's enough metal for now, here's other music:

Daft Punk - Human After All (It's like people just wanted Discovery part two, this is an eclectic electronic album full of intense crashing and party jams.)

Underworld - Change the Weather (Underworld's one of my favorite bands, but a lot of people don't like their early synthpop/new wave stuff. It still sounds like Underworld though, Karl Hyde's a melody master regardless if he's playing pop or techno.)

Jungle Brothers - J. Beez Wit the Remedy (Yeah, the label cut some of the really out there stuff that would've made it even better than it already is, but this is a great hip hop album that balances the funky rhythms with an experimental side.)

Fatboy Slim - Palookaville (I actually unconsciously avoided this album for a while, even though I try and ignore the popular opinion. It's pretty good though, there are some pretty meh songs, but including some of my favorite Fatboy Slim songs makes up for it. The Journey especially has been a regular in my recent listening.)

That's all I got off the top of my head or with a quick glance of my collection.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:23am
Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity and their debut are their lowest rated on PA, even lower than The (Un)Astonishing. I've never understood that. 

There was a DT best to worst list thread, and WDADU was at the bottom of a lot of lists. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:38am
I haven't tended to listen to the Dream Theater debut too much but it's far from my least favourite by them. I've always been a bit atypical with DT albums though. Like many I see Images and Words and Metropolis as their best, but find Awake very average. I also rate Black Clouds and Silver Linings highly but I remember at least at the time of its release that many seemed to run it down. 

It's been a long time since I went through the DT discography though and it's possible that my opinions on a lot of the albums may have changed. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:53am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Hmm maybe Revelations of the Black Flame by 1349. I always thought that one copped a lot of unnecessary flak, but I always like the way they dared to do something a bit different which black metal fans aren't always open to. 

I don't know much about 1349 but I have listened to that album before (to see if it was as bad as most say) and was pleasantly surprised by it. 

The only other album I know from them is Massive Cauldron of Chaos which I thought channelled 2000-2002 period Immortal to near worship levels. Revelations is a much bolder sounding release from what I recall. I may give it another whirl actually. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:22am
Going to throw Trivium in here too, especially Ascendancy. Not a band I really follow any more but I do still enjoy that album from time to time and remember how hated they were by self described 'serious metalheads' in my online community of that time that album was released. 

To this day I can't listen to Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr and hear the lyrics properly due to a rather infamous misheard lyrics video made by a Trivium hater that did the rounds at the time. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:46am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I haven't tended to listen to the Dream Theater debut too much but it's far from my least favourite by them. I've always been a bit atypical with DT albums though. Like many I see Images and Words and Metropolis as their best, but find Awake very average. I also rate Black Clouds and Silver Linings highly but I remember at least at the time of its release that many seemed to run it down. 

It's been a long time since I went through the DT discography though and it's possible that my opinions on a lot of the albums may have changed. 

Awake is my favorite DT album, how tastes differ! The album was quite unique when it came out, despite wearing its influences on its sleeves. Just as influential as I & W. 

BC & SW - I bought it when it came out, 3CD deluxe, kinda disappointing for me, although an improvement on the previous album Systematic Chaos, my least favorite back then. Now the UnAstonishing has taken its place.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Going to throw Trivium in here too, especially Ascendancy. Not a band I really follow any more but I do still enjoy that album from time to time and remember how hated they were by self described 'serious metalheads' in my online community of that time that album was released. 

To this day I can't listen to Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr and hear the lyrics properly due to a rather infamous misheard lyrics video made by a Trivium hater that did the rounds at the time. 

Trivium's pretty hit or miss for me. They've got some albums I really like, and some that just bore me. The Sin and the Sentence was really good, I recommend checking it out if you haven't heard what they sound like these days.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic