Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Popular Acts/Albums You Dislike?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:44pm
Can't get into Manowar. I used to hate Opeth but i've come around. Still have some issues though.

Some bands i like OK but find overated: Electric Wizard, Burzum, Ulcerate, Devin Townsend, Rosetta Stone, Tiamat, Mgla, Maudlin of the Well, Savatage etc

I can tolerate almost anything though. Can't even think of anyone else i just can't stand other than Manowar :D
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 9:24pm
Regarding Manowar, I love some good cheeseball metal and no album represents that better than Fighting the World:

I can understand why Manowar would turn some people off though lol

Another album I thought of is Nevermind. I think that's mostly from straight up overexposure everywhere, as there are a couple songs I do like from that album. I'd just much rather listen to anything off of Bleach or In Utero.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:42am
I have a couple of Manowar releases that I got when I bought someone's entire CD collection off of ebay. I think I listened to them once and then shelved them. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:47am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Devin Townsend

I don't dislike him either but for such a major artist in whatever form he releases under I am surprised I never got into his music more. 

Back in 2011, I was still running and primarily reviewing for Heavy Metal Haven at the time, I remember well what a big deal among the community the release of Deconstruction was. I was never able to get why that was. I enjoyed the album, but found it to have many issues that capped it at a 4 star for me, which is the highest I've ever given anything by Townsend. 

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Mgla

I'm more set against Mgla because of how many people run Uada down for being a Mgla clone which I just don't find to have a grain of truth to it. 

Edited by adg211288 - 23 Apr 2020 at 2:48am
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:53am
Against the grain of most on this site, but Slayer really never did it for me. Can't put my finger on it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Against the grain of most on this site, but Slayer really never did it for me. Can't put my finger on it.

Same Chris although they have a few songs I do like here and there.

But thrash has never been my main interest so I don't think it that outlandish that I don't rate Slayer too much. 

Controversial and off topic opinion: even though I hold respect for the Big 4 during their classic period, I don't think that in general they did much to cement that legacy after the start of the 90s. Slayer's the only one who didn't at some point abandon thrash. 

That always struck me as ironic since many (especially younger) metalheads hold thrash up as the 'truest' form of metal, but the Big 4 mostly explored other avenues with Anthrax jumping on the groove band wagon and Metallica and Megadeth trying out more commercial heavy metal and hard rock sounds. These bands did eventually return to thrash (an on/off relationship for Metallica), but only after every single one of them had released at least one album that was disliked or even maligned by fans. And that seems to apply to Slayer too looking at their RYM averages. 

Edited by adg211288 - 23 Apr 2020 at 3:08am
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Where is Roots well-liked? I've seen more dislike than like, online at least, personally I've always really liked it.

RYM seem to like it. Lowest rated Max album, but still, it's got an average of over 3 and that's more than can be said for the the Derrick albums, only the new one of which has a higher average rating than Roots.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:26am
An average of 3.0+ is considered very good on RYM. I think they're, generally speaking, one of the most cynical communities online when it comes to giving music ratings. Or might be a bunch of snobs. Or they maybe just hate everything. 

like rym, which I hate but love at the same time for discovering so much music from there)

I mainly only use RYM now for cataloguing, backing up reviews, and charts. I've had a number of incidents of snide harassment from RYM'ers over my rating allocations, among other things including an unwarranted attack on my old website Heavy Metal Haven, and there isn't anyone on there that isn't also on MMA I want anything to do with. I sometimes leave genre votes if the release has none or few, but I'm finding the genre vote accuracy to be gradually getting worse. I swear most of them just vote like sheep. 

Edited by adg211288 - 23 Apr 2020 at 9:27am
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:35am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Same Chris although they have a few songs I do like here and there.

But thrash has never been my main interest so I don't think it that outlandish that I don't rate Slayer too much. 

Controversial and off topic opinion: even though I hold respect for the Big 4 during their classic period, I don't think that in general they did much to cement that legacy after the start of the 90s. Slayer's the only one who didn't at some point abandon thrash. 

That always struck me as ironic since many (especially younger) metalheads hold thrash up as the 'truest' form of metal, but the Big 4 mostly explored other avenues with Anthrax jumping on the groove band wagon and Metallica and Megadeth trying out more commercial heavy metal and hard rock sounds. These bands did eventually return to thrash (an on/off relationship for Metallica), but only after every single one of them had released at least one album that was disliked or even maligned by fans. And that seems to apply to Slayer too looking at their RYM averages. 

A lot of Slayer fans hate both Undisputed Attitude and Diabolus in Musica, which I don't (I hate God Hates Us All which came next!Wink).
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:57am
I don't consider myself a Slayer fan, I listen to some of their albums, but Diabolus in Musica and GHAA are their weakest works IMO. And the only later day album of theirs I really enjoy is World Painted Blood. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

I don't consider myself a Slayer fan, I listen to some of their albums, but Diabolus in Musica and GHAA are their weakest works IMO. And the only later day album of theirs I really enjoy is World Painted Blood. 

Yes, Diabolus in Musica isn't amazing, but I don't hate it.

World Painted Blood is excellent. I didn't think much of Christ Illusion when it first came out, but I think it is also excellent. I haven't listened to Repentless near enough yet.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Yes, Diabolus in Musica isn't amazing, but I don't hate it.

World Painted Blood is excellent. I didn't think much of Christ Illusion when it first came out, but I think it is also excellent. I haven't listened to Repentless near enough yet.

Well...I´m a huge Slayer fanboy, so I´m the type of guy who says they can do no wrong. Some thing are better than others, but they´ve never made anything really bad.

Edited by UMUR - 23 Apr 2020 at 11:09pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

RYM seem to like it. Lowest rated Max album, but still, it's got an average of over 3 and that's more than can be said for the the Derrick albums, only the new one of which has a higher average rating than Roots.

That's true, and for a alt/nu metal album that's an excellent rating by rym standards.

An average of 3.0+ is considered very good on RYM. I think they're, generally speaking, one of the most cynical communities online when it comes to giving music ratings. Or might be a bunch of snobs. Or they maybe just hate everything. 

I mainly only use RYM now for cataloguing, backing up reviews, and charts. I've had a number of incidents of snide harassment from RYM'ers over my rating allocations, among other things including an unwarranted attack on my old website Heavy Metal Haven, and there isn't anyone on there that isn't also on MMA I want anything to do with. I sometimes leave genre votes if the release has none or few, but I'm finding the genre vote accuracy to be gradually getting worse. I swear most of them just vote like sheep. 

I like making lists, just for the fun of it, and there's a few nice people on there who genuinely love music but it's definitely a minority. It's almost like many of the users actually hate music, and only listen to certain music to boost their ego rather than actually enjoy anything.

The voting's horrible and incredibly inconsistent. 70's metal is a great example, there's a weird amount of people (Black Sabbath fanboys I'm assuming) who will vote down metal on anything early 70's or before that's not Sabbath and sometimes go to such lengths as creating spam accounts to do so. (Look at all the banned accounts with similar names that have voted down metal on a few Blue Cheer singles for proof) Also there's of course the classic "Oh they're most known for this genre, so all their releases must be!". There's countless examples of that.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:41am
Derrick Green fronted Sepultura (or Cavalera less Sepultura if you like) does finally seem to be gaining more acceptance with the last few albums. Personally I always preferred post-Roots Seps overall even though I acknowledge Beneath the Remains and Arise as pretty damn fine thrash albums. Overall they're a major hit and miss band for me but I am feeling like giving their albums some spins now and maybe checking out a few more of the gaps in my knowledge. To this day I've never heard Schizophrenia. Embarrassed
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:48am

The voting's horrible and incredibly inconsistent. 70's metal is a great example, there's a weird amount of people (Black Sabbath fanboys I'm assuming) who will vote down metal on anything early 70's or before that's not Sabbath and sometimes go to such lengths as creating spam accounts to do so. (Look at all the banned accounts with similar names that have voted down metal on a few Blue Cheer singles for proof) Also there's of course the classic "Oh they're most known for this genre, so all their releases must be!". There's countless examples of that.

It really bothers me that Satori only has Heavy Metal down as a secondary on it. If I had to pick one album to firmly place in 70s metal canon it would be that one. 

The trouble I've found with RYM more recently is that there are generally correct with their votes, often enough that when they do call something weird it can really throw you. That's why I always say if using it as an MMA resource now is to see if there are any comments on the votes. They are often more telling than the votes themselves. RYM'ers tend to hate someone trying to change the direction of a vote that has already gained support and will just vote against any changes blindly, regardless of comments left, yet not offer any argument themselves. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:57am
Definitely, I also find individual track genre votes can be more telling as well. For example, all except Child in Time have a heavy metal primary on Deep Purple's In Rock and many comments are pointing that out and just saying make the album metal primary already. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 1:55am
The only trouble with track by track votes is only a small amount of people use them. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:13am

Derrick Green fronted Sepultura (or Cavalera less Sepultura if you like) does finally seem to be gaining more acceptance with the last few albums. Personally I always preferred post-Roots Seps overall even though I acknowledge Beneath the Remains and Arise as pretty damn fine thrash albums. Overall they're a major hit and miss band for me but I am feeling like giving their albums some spins now and maybe checking out a few more of the gaps in my knowledge. To this day I've never heard Schizophrenia. Embarrassed

Having seen Sepultura with Green fronting a couple of times in the last couple of years, have ignited my interest in the Green-era albums. My interest in Sepultura had originally ended with Chaos A.D. (I didn´t even listen to Roots before after some years after its release), so it wasn´t because Green became the vocliast that I wasn´t interested in their music anymore. It was their stylistic change which meant I wasn´t interested anymore back then. I´ve learned to accept and enjoy more groove oriented music more over the years though, and therefore I´ve begun to investigate the Green-era albums now.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:08pm

The only trouble with track by track votes is only a small amount of people use them. 

I think it's a relatively new addition (Don't remember it when I first joined), so hopefully over more time it'll get more populated.

Regarding Green-era Sepultura, I've only heard a few albums. I remember Against being pretty good, The Mediator bored me, and Machine Messiah was excellent and very eclectic. I haven't heard the new album, but I'm waiting for a Sepultura mood to hit.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:41pm
It is newer but it's been around long enough now that you'd think a few more would have picked up on it. 

A thing with RYM is that they've been working toward splitting their music and movie sides (as well as adding a gaming platform) into separate sites and features added to RYM itself seem to get overlooked. And these new sites seem to be taking forever to be properly launched. They've been going on about them for years now. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic