Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Popular Acts/Albums You Dislike?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popular Acts/Albums You Dislike?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:16am
Anyone here got a (metal) act or album that you know is well loved but you yourself dislike or even outright hate? Specifically stuff that would normally fall into your wheelhouse of taste that is - something you expected to like, yet didn't. 

I think for me the main act I always disliked is Pain of Salvation, though I admit it's been a long time since I tried any of their music. The band was a natural stepping stone on my journey through discovering progressive metal and I recall having extremely high expectations of them. But they do little to nothing for me and after trying three albums from them the final straw with them was finding that I enjoyed The Perfect Element Pt 1 the least of the three. 

Other albums that I know are well liked but I hated include:

Leprous - Bilateral 
Sepultura - Roots 

The latter of these is an album I initially liked but it wore thin for me pretty quick. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:27am
Another negative thread, people seem to like them, people like to complain, so what do I know... 

I agree with Roots, I lost interest, too, after repeated listens. The only Sepultura albums I enjoy are Beneath the Remains and Arise. 
I love Pain of Salvation, one of my favorite bands. 

I can't think how I can be useful with this thread, if I don't like a band, I don't complain about it, I just move on. There's so much music to explore and so little time, that is the problem that bothers me. 

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:43am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Another negative thread, people seem to like them, people like to complain, so what do I know...

Two things:

1. What other thread do you deem to be negative around here?
2. There is only one person complaining in this thread and that is you.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:47am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Two things:

1. What other thread do you deem to be negative around here?
2. There is only one person complaining in this thread and that is you.

Well, just recently the dumbest concept albums thread...
I'm complaining about people that like to complain, now that's funny.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:59am
I think maybe you need to lighten up. There's nothing especially negative about either this or that thread on concept album stories. I see this one as a genuinely curious question and other as providing a bit of amusement. Considering what's going on in the world right now it doesn't hurt to have a giggle about a stupidly amusing concept story.

As for my answer to this question, I think probably Burzum. The highest rating I have for Burzum is 4/5 on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. My view of most of Burzum's stuff ranges from dislike to indifference.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:05am

As for my answer to this question, I think probably Burzum. The highest rating I have for Burzum is 4/5 on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. My view of most of Burzum's stuff ranges from dislike to indifference. 

It's Burzum for me too. My review for Filosofem will sum up why. Wink
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:16am
I enjoy Filosofem a fair bit more than you do Nicole, but it's still only a 3.5 album for me. Higher than most of my Burzum ratings.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:21am
I go up and down with Burzum. I've picked up several of his albums second hand but I don't play them often, despite having left ratings that might imply otherwise. I always feel like I'm selling a piece of my soul when I listen to Burzum, because of Varg the individual. When the right mood strikes I do enjoy his music though. I don't feel any inclination to own any more of it than I currently do though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:30am

I see this one as a genuinely curious question and other as providing a bit of amusement.

Exactly as they were intended. 

Per above, you've interpreted the intent behind this thread and the other one completely wrong. 

And there is not one word of complaint in my opening post! For your information. 

You're quite welcome to think up some new topics to post yourself if you have such a problem with mine...I'll leave that ball in your court. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:42am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I see this one as a genuinely curious question and other as providing a bit of amusement.

Exactly as they were intended. 

Per above, you've interpreted the intent behind this thread and the other one completely wrong. 

And there is not one word of complaint in my opening post! For your information. 

You're quite welcome to think up some new topics to post yourself if you have such a problem with mine...I'll leave that ball in your court. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

If I am misinterpreting your intent, my bad then. Usually these kind of threads get a lot of negativity, there are some on PA forum that went off rails IMO, but that still a rather big community, MMA is smaller, so I hope I am wrong then. 

Ok, challenge accepted, one thread coming up... 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:46am
I don't actively partake in the PA forum so don't want to speak out of turn against their staff, but threads going off the rails is kind of what moderators are for. I presume they put an end to such threads but if not that's what should have happened. It's what we'd do here if a thread (regardless of who posted it) devolved into a match of who can throw the best insult. So you don't ever need to worry about that on MMA. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:12am
Manowar have always rubbed me wrong (and it didn´t help watching them live in the late 90s. I´m still traumatized by that experience), but they are not really within a genre that I usually enjoy, so I´m not sure they reallly qualify.

Edited by UMUR - 22 Apr 2020 at 8:13am
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 9:11am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Manowar have always rubbed me wrong (and it didn´t help watching them live in the late 90s. I´m still traumatized by that experience), but they are not really within a genre that I usually enjoy, so I´m not sure they reallly qualify.

I used to like 80s Manowar for a little while but I lost interest rather quickly. Also over the years their music got less and less interesting to the point that I believe they became a parody of themselves. 

There is also the fact that the band did not have a public statement over the Logan pedophilia scandal, no shock, no criticism, no outrage about it, really? They just announced they had a new guitarist, that's all they did. They could have handle it better and differently. 
They have zero credibility now. 

Edited by LittleBig - 22 Apr 2020 at 9:13am
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:32am
I kinda agree on PoS, though I honestly have a love/hate relationship with them: I absolutely love Remedy Lane and Be, but Scarsick and In the Passing Light of Day are two of my absolute least favorite prog albums of all time. I also wasn't big on Leprous, when I tried them. Another big one is I really don't like much of what I've heard from Queensryche, and especially wasn't too impressed by Operation Mindcrime or Empire, which are two of their most popular albums.

As for power metal, I generally at least have some appreciation for most of the classics, and love most of the more popular modern albums, but one obvious example of the opposite, is I'm not too big into Angra in general, but I especially can't seem to get into their albums with Andre Matos, which a lot of people consider their best work. I even like his vocals a lot, but I just find those albums very boring musically.

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:00am
As someone who used to be a newspaper reporter, I can tell you that bad news sells so much better than good news. People always say they WANT the good stuff, but an issue with a good car crash or massive fire on the front page always sold better than one with "Local man grows unusual-shaped turnip" or "Study shows red tractors really are better than blue tractors" (yeah, it wasn't a big city daily by any means, but still a daily!)

I could start on the bands I dislike, but that would be an enormous list. Meh, I usually hold it back a bit, so here's a few other people sometimes take issue with:
Burzum
Tool
Alice in Chains
Suffocation
Led Zeppelin
Korn
Slipknot
Opeth
KISS

Yeah, too easy...

Instead, here's a few albums from bands I generally like, but not these particular releases:
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (it's been over-played. I'd rather listen to any other single Maiden album first!)
AC/DC - Black Ice (hang up your guitar Angus, or stick to the old stuff. Malcolm was the song writer)
Slayer - God Hates Us All (I have tried so many times! I just don't much like it)
Sepultura - Roots
Metallica  - Hardwired... To Self-destruct (Too easy to pick the black/Loads/St Anger. This generally gets positive reviews, but I hate it!)
Nirvana - Unplugged (I despise unplugged albums, but this is particularly awful!)
Annihilator - Set The World on Fire
D.R.I. - Thrash Zone (If you're going to call an album that, at least play thrashy songs, and not mid-paced plod!)
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (Disjointed. I just don't like it.)

Yeah, that's probably enough...

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:11am

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I used to like 80s Manowar for a little while but I lost interest rather quickly. Also over the years their music got less and less interesting to the point that I believe they became a parody of themselves. 

There is also the fact that the band did not have a public statement over the Logan pedophilia scandal, no shock, no criticism, no outrage about it, really? They just announced they had a new guitarist, that's all they did. They could have handle it better and differently. 
They have zero credibility now. 

I don't think they had much credibility to start with, but even if they had said "we had no knowledge of what was going on, and we would like to distance ourselves from his actions" it would have helped. Saying nothing almost makes you suspect they knew something, but hadn't said.

It probably doesn't help their credibility that they had songs like this. Just listen to the stupid intro (it's 48 seconds):

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:10pm
Where is Roots well-liked? I've seen more dislike than like, online at least, personally I've always really liked it.

I'll skip bands from metal genres I tend to dislike, and just go for bands that I can't get into from my favorite metal genres or albums from bands I like:

Kreator (I like Extreme Aggression and the following few albums are okay, but beyond that I find them pretty meh. With their early stuff, their songwriting style just doesn't work with me, don't seem to have the same hooks that other similar thrash bands like Slayer and Destruction do. Their post 2000's stuff is too slickly produced and melodic death metal sounding for my tastes.)

Post-1988 Iron Maiden (I know this is really going against the grain, but to me it sounds like Iron Maiden followed the AC/DC method after Somewhere in Time. Sorry, just not a big enough Iron Maiden fan.)

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (Maybe it's from overplaying it when I was a teenager, but I can't take the majority of these songs anymore. Plus I think the band is at their best when playing electronic/hip-hop infused alt rock like on A Thousand Suns. Also I get sick of people thinking nu metal=Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit, they aren't the only bands to represent it, it's such a varied sub-genre!)

Slipknot - Iowa (I know Slipknot fans often hail this as their best album, but I've never been able to get into it. It lacks the variety of the self-titled and as much as I hate to say it, the lyrics do get in the way. They aren't cheesy, they aren't fun, they aren't intimidating, they're just BAD.)

Metallica - ...and Justice for All (Would be a fantastic album if I could hear the bass)

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (I really like Killing Yourself to Live, and Sabbra Cadabra has a great riff but I don't like the keyboard parts. Other than that it just bores me. I get the feeling they were trying to go for a prog rock sound, which might explain why I can't get into it.)

Living Colour - Vivid (Cult of Personality is a masterpiece of funk metal and metal in general, but everything else on this album pales in comparison. I think Time's Up and Stain are way better.)

Those are the first things to come to mind, off to the reverse thread.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:26pm
Roots is Sepultura's biggest selling album, as far as I can see. It sold 2,000,000 copies, Chaos AD 1,500,000, Arise 1,000,000, and that's all I could find. So there's a few people like it.Wink
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Roots is Sepultura's biggest selling album, as far as I can see. It sold 2,000,000 copies, Chaos AD 1,500,000, Arise 1,000,000, and that's all I could find. So there's a few people like it.Wink

True, but it doesn't seem to get much love online from what I've seen. I'm probably just on the wrong sites (like rym, which I hate but love at the same time for discovering so much music from there)
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I actually like that album. Don't LOOOOVE it but it is a pretty good alt metal album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic