Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

80's/90's Alternative Rock/Goth Rock/New Wave

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80's/90's Alternative Rock/Goth Rock/New Wave
    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 8:43pm
Any other fans of classic alt rock, goth rock, and new wave here (I kind of just group them together)? Been in the mood lately, with some of my favorite bands being from these genres like R.E.M., Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Creatures, and The Tragically Hip. Also a big fan of The Cure, Talking Heads, P-Model, Tubeway Army, and the early stuff from Killing Joke, The Cult, and Underworld.

A couple favorite songs as of recently:

If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 8:51pm
A little. A bit of Bauhaus, a bit of The Cult, a bit of DEVO... Never took any of them too seriously.

If you like the Gothic side of things, you might like Shriekback. Nemesis is one hell of a tune.

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

A little. A bit of Bauhaus, a bit of The Cult, a bit of DEVO... Never took any of them too seriously.

If you like the Gothic side of things, you might like Shriekback. Nemesis is one hell of a tune.

Never heard of them before, but that song sounds great. Kind of a funky industrial thing going on, I'll have to check more of their stuff out.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 1:55am
I like some artists in the style, and I plan to check out some of those I haven´t listened to yet.

Joy Division, The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Sisters of Mercy, Killing Joke are some of those I enjoy. My cousin is 10 years older than me and grew up listening to 80s music (while I had my teens in the 90s), so he has introduced me to a lot of 80s artists through the years and I´ve come to appreciate a lot of those artists. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:51am
Love The Cure and the Banshees and a handful of other artists. Tend to play as background music as a change from post rock when I want a bit of background vibe. Used to listen to them more actively but less so these days.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 4:31am
New Model Army is a great band I recently discovered. Very solid and consistent, a very pleasant surprise. They are also quite unique. 

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 11:44am
^That sounds good, never heard of them before either. Really energetic.

Among the bands I mentioned, the drums at the beginning reminded me of this:

Really underrated band, the drums sound so massive, especially with headphones.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

^That sounds good, never heard of them before either. Really energetic.

not always energetic, like that, but one could hear post-punk in their music, they also use acoustic guitars, even harmonica on a few songs. 
They have a lot of albums, I hope to listen to them all at some point. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic