MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Recent Non-Music Purchases (movies, games, etc)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Non-Music Purchases (movies, games, etc)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent Non-Music Purchases (movies, games, etc)
    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 1:14am
Share your recent purchases not related to music here. Movies, games, books, etc, that kind of thing. 

I just got my boxset of Park Chan-Wook's Vengeance Trilogy on Arrow Video blu-ray from Amazon yesterday. Gorgeous set. 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 1:58am
I've been out of the house once since March 22, and all I bought was food.LOL

I did recently acquire some cheap as PS3 games - got Heavy Rain which I'm currently playing, Dragon Age II, Burnout Paradise, and Uncharted 3.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:38am
So long as the online economy still functions and Royal Mail delivers the places I buy from are still operating more or less as normal. I do miss my weekly dig around the local second hand shops though for books and movies (and very occasionally a metal/hard rock/prog album). 

Other stuff I've bought recently that has started to trickle in this morning is the rest of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere novels. I had to buy a few new because they're bloody hard to find, especially cheap, but I do have the rest of the ones I needed winging their way to me from various places now. I've read the first two Mistborn novels of the original trilogy over the last couple of weeks and am well on my way through #3. I may swap author between the Mistborn series and other Cosmere lines for variation but I expect to read all 11 novels in close proximity to each other. I had a copy of Mistborn #6 arrive this morning, though I'm annoyed at the postie for not following proper social distancing procedure for the delivery (which is to put the package on the doorstep and then step back, which he did not do). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:39am
Recent Masters of Cinema haul: I already had the top 3 on DVD but old black and white movies are usually worth picking up on special edition blu-rays for the restoration work - although The Lost Weekend was highly disappointed in this regard - as well as their collector's booklets and special features. 

First of two recent Arrow Video hauls. All film noir. Arrow isn't quite as good as Masters of Cinema because they only put collector's booklets in the first press (which a few of these are) but they have the better selection of titles for my taste. 

Second Arrow haul. Still working my way through watching these ones. Owned the bottom two on DVD already but Secret Beyond the Door was only on a cheap region 0 release and while The Thing was perfectly OK on DVD it looks bloody brilliant on the 4K master used for this blu-ray special edition. 

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:14am
Plenty to watch there. Haven't bought a lot of DVD's lately, though i got these for my Birthday in March...

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:29am
Just treated myself to the blu-ray of Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut, which also includes the original theatrical and Redux cuts. I have a tatty DVD copy of the Redux already that I didn't pay much for. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the Final Cut compares. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 4:47pm
the redux cut is so much worse than the theatrical, nothing they added is really of value to the movie.  Never seen "final"

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 22 May 2020 at 4:47pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 1:30am
Having never seen the theatrical I thought the redux was fine, probably my favourite Coppola film. Final only came out last year. It's supposed to be Coppola's preferred version and has a length between that of the other two. 

It's also had restoration done on it to remaster for 4K which is also used as a basis for the blu-ray 1080p version. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 7:29am
Just got the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection Blu-Ray for £24.99. I have most of the movies on DVD already but I plan to sell those on to make some of that back. There are a couple of movies I didn't have and a hardback collector's book in the set. 

GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 10:24am
What's your favourite Hitchcock movie Adam?  I'm partial to Rear Window
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 10:47am
There's none I've watched twice yet so it's difficult to say for sure, but the short list would be:

Strangers on a Train
Rear Window
North by Northwest
Psycho
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 3:08am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Just treated myself to the blu-ray of Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut, which also includes the original theatrical and Redux cuts. I have a tatty DVD copy of the Redux already that I didn't pay much for. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the Final Cut compares. 

So this set was completely misadvertised and doesn't contain the theatrical or the redux cuts. Angry
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 6:47am

A few recent collector's edition hauls put together, two lots of Arrow and my first Criterion Collection releases. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:41am
Birthday blu-ray haul.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 3:37am
Christmas blu-ray haul:

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 7:51am
Nice selection there, got a couple myself for Christmas...

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:01am
What a nuisance, my boxset of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex arrived from Amazon damaged so much the case won't even stay shut properly. Only two little breaks but in just the right places...got to send it back now and of course they suddenly can't next day delivery a replacement. Angry
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 9:33am
^ They've got your money, they don't care anymore. Very annoying.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 11:43am
It's also Sod's Law that the one time Amazon delivers early (package waiting before I even woke up this morning) it has to go straight back. Bet on Tuesday I'll be sitting around twiddling my thumbs all day (but I guess what else was I going to do these days?).

But meanwhile I've got to make an extra trip out to ship the broken set back to them. 

Normally I'd just replace the case, except I only have one blu-ray case spare and it's not got the centre clips for the extra disc holders. 

I normally just suck it up with cases broken in transit but I dropped £35 on this set. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 2:40pm
It came and so far it's pretty damn good, though I hate TV boxsets that don't move automatically between episodes. It's always back to the main menu with this one.

GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic