1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYM's Top 2010s Metal Albums 6: Thrash
    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:21pm
I'm double dosing the polls this morning, save putting a second one on later the same day. I'm sure you won't be overwhelmed. Tongue Here's the one that maybe some of you have really been waiting for: thrash!

This is the first of these polls where the top three has all been 5* releases for me, though I rank the Vektor albums the other way around because it took me much longer to find appreciation for Terminal Redux than it did Outer Isolation, which is where my vote goes.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:27pm
Revocation Deathless
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:27pm
Ironbound, though Death Angel is a close second.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:53pm
Death Angel - The Dream Calls for Blood
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 1:26am
I do not listen to much thrash. My only 5 star rated thrash album from the last decade, while also more of a USPM album, is Dark Design's Prey for the Future. I have a few 4.5's here though and a number of other 4.5's that aren't on the list. But this won't be a well represented genre in my best of decade list. 

Of the two Vektor I wouldn't know how to pick between them. Vektor is one of those bands whom I like, but have never bought anything by and also can't bring myself to think of them as being on the God level tier most seem to put them up. I find their music among the best technically accomplished metal ever recorded, but often seems to lack soul. Fortunately King Gizzard is also here, and that's an album I have enjoyed very much. A very unusual sounding thrash album that one. So that's where my vote goes. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 7:12am
I'm also short on modern thrash picks for best of the decade, so guess I'll go with King Gizzard as well as I do quite like that one. Honestly Vektor doesn't even get a look in for me. Too over-hyped I think that it was impossible for them not to completely underwhelm by the time I first heard them with Outer Isolation and Terminal Redux didn't do anything to change my opinion. They are far from being crap of course but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of more deserving thrash out there. Maybe not in technical ability but certainly in the quality of the end result. Personally I'd have liked to see Paradox's Tales of the Weird up here. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 8:13am
Testament - but, to my ears something has clearly changed in thrash between last decade and this one.  Much weaker showings here.

Possibly just that Exodus went from the 2 best thrash albums possibly ever made, to a bunch of boring identical songs

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 03 Mar 2020 at 8:13am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 8:52am
I'll be honest, thrash has never been a genre that has made that much of an impression on me. I'm probably breaking the metalhead code by saying that, but I've never felt anything close to the level of devotion to thrash that many seem to have. For me the so called Big 4 is even one of metal's biggest shams and at best very average examples to hold up as the apex of thrash. I won't deny the importance of early Metallica but I've always found Megadeth digestible only in small doses and I generally dislike Slayer beyond a few really killer tracks and my view of Anthrax has always been simply 'meh'. 

That's not to say there aren't plenty of thrash albums I enjoy a lot, but new thrash bands rarely offer any interest to me. That said there is a decent handful of 4.5's from the last ten years:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest
Sacral Rage - Beyond Celestial Echoes (power-thrash)
Madrost - The Essence of Time Matches No Flesh 
Distant Sun - Into the Nebula (power-thrash)
Nervosa - Agony
Mortillery - Shapeshifter
Flotsam and Jetsam - Flotsam and Jetsam
Vektor - Terminal Redux 
Artillery - Penalty by Perception
Tina Guo - Cello Metal (not exactly true thrash but a good chunk is thrash covers)
Savage Messiah - The Fateful Dark (power-thrash)
Exmortus - Slave to the Sword 
Project: Roenwolfe - Neverwhere Dreamscape 
Sedulity - The Valley of Dying Stars 
Mortillery - Origin of Extinction 
Paradox - Tales of the Weird (power-thrash)
Teramaze - Anhedonia
Hexen - Being and Nothingness 
Vektor - Outer Isolation

Of these I've no doubt played the power-thrash albums the most. I also actually own the Mortillery's and the Nervosa album. But honestly King Gizzard is the only really interesting thrash album here for me. The rest are simply good examples of what they do. That's because they blend the thrash riffs with stoner metal vibes, which creates a more unique sound. At least it's a combo I haven't come across before. I'm glad to see it up there in the RYM chart. It's honestly the first thrash album that's really excited me in a while. 

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:26am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

I'm also short on modern thrash picks for best of the decade, so guess I'll go with King Gizzard as well as I do quite like that one. Honestly Vektor doesn't even get a look in for me. Too over-hyped I think that it was impossible for them not to completely underwhelm by the time I first heard them with Outer Isolation and Terminal Redux didn't do anything to change my opinion. They are far from being crap of course but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of more deserving thrash out there. Maybe not in technical ability but certainly in the quality of the end result. Personally I'd have liked to see Paradox's Tales of the Weird up here. 

Very similar thoughts on Vektor. Over-hyped like you wouldn't believe, and ultimately boring.

For me, it was down to the two Overkill albums, and I'm going for Ironbound. I had been through picking albums of the year for every year of the decade for my own interest, and that won 2010 in my mind. Of course, it might also be that I can't really remember what else came from 2010.Wink
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Vektor is one of those bands whom I like, but have never bought anything by and also can't bring myself to think of them as being on the God level tier most seem to put them up. I find their music among the best technically accomplished metal ever recorded, but often seems to lack soul. 

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

to my ears something has clearly changed in thrash between last decade and this one.  Much weaker showings here.

Possibly just that Exodus went from the 2 best thrash albums possibly ever made, to a bunch of boring identical songs

Pretty much agree with both of these statements. Vektor's okay, but yeah, I've never understood the hype. They just sound like a semi-spacey Slayer without the songwriting skills of 80's/90's Slayer.

I think modern production styles and a lack of fun is part of it. (Not that it has to be, but there's already a million Slayer and German thrash clones out there). Personally, one of my favorite things about thrash metal is its ability to be simultaneously aggressive and ready to party. All you have to do is look at the lack of songs about moshing in today's thrash. Nervosa's Into Mosh Pit is the only one I can think of.

Edited by Unitron - 03 Mar 2020 at 10:48pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 4:32pm
Very difficult as so many great albums. I went with Power Trip but if Revocation's Great Is Our Sin was there instead of the other 2 (both great albums nevertheless) they'd have got my vote.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 12:20am
Vektor is of course one of those bands I do intend to revisit for best of the decade, to see if they can finally click properly. Based on my taste I ought to be into them a whole lot more than I am. I also need to check out Revocation properly. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 1:15am
I must admit I am surprised by the general dislike (or if not dislike, lukewarm neutrality) for Vektor here.

I don't think that the sun shines out of them the way some people do, but I do like them a lot.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 3:45pm
^ I really like Vektor but not quite one of my top tier bands.
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 3:34am
I wouldn't say they were one of mine either, but that may be because I wouldn't call thrash one of my top tier genres either. My main interests are (atmospheric) black and (technical) death. But as far as thrash itself goes, I find them pretty exceptional. Although given my own tastes the thought has crossed my mind on occassion what they'd be like if playing tech death instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic